Impressed by Dead Space

VorpalBFG

Limp Gawd
This game is just sucking me in the further along I get. The atmosphere is incredible. The upgrade system is fantastic. The story, although sorta cliche, is still very engaging. Must be the superb voice acting. Very immersive, aside from the third person perspective.
Sleeper of the year for sure.

Good game. I only wish it was longer. I really think the PC controls and angle view was by design to limit the player just like the character's lack of physical abilities.

Unresponsive 3rd person controls are never really a good idea. If you're going to make the character less agile you might as well go with a 1st person perspective. The lack of a 180 quickturn is kinda silly imo and reminds me of early RE games (although the controls are nowhere near as bad).

That said, I'm having fun playing it. It feels like RE4 meets System Shock 2, two games that I love.

i just wish I could re-map the movement keys to mouse keys.. i mean that's the biggest deal breaker for me

Do you people play this game only at night or in a dark room or what? I didn't find it scary

Lights out, 5.1 turned up, open a window or turn the heat off so it's a bit chilly...I was plenty scared playing it!

Yeah, surround sound makes a big difference in these types of games. DooM3 will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat more effectively in 5.1, and Dead Space gives off kinda the same vibe...so :D

Surround definately does it...I found myself turning my character around several time because I heard something skittering behind me; I knew it was likely done just for the creep factor, but I just had to check and be sure!

I'm thinking about purchasing this game over Far Cry 2 at this point. Just a little different then your average shooter it seems. Just got done with Crysis WH, so this would maybe be off the beaten path.

The control issue scares me, but hey...it's Halloween! I just won't use V-sync.

I'm thinking about purchasing this game over Far Cry 2 at this point. Just a little different then your average shooter it seems. Just got done with Crysis WH, so this would maybe be off the beaten path.

The control issue scares me, but hey...it's Halloween! I just won't use V-sync.

Nothing wrong with the controls if you turn off V-Sync and max out all mouse related sensitivities.

Awesome game!

Really really good game. I can't wait till I get time to play it this weekend with the gf! Gonna be great. Anyone got a rough idea of how long this game is? Can it be beaten quickly? :p

Do you people play this game only at night or in a dark room or what? I didn't find it scary

Heh, I get home from work around 12:30am and everyone is asleep. I turn off every light in the house and sit real close to my TV (50 inch Samsung DL) and just get the shite scared out of me for about two hours....then try to go to bed.

Ok, just picked up the game today and have played it for a couple hours. Wow, so much better than I thought. With vsync in game the controls are awful, but turn it off, they're great. Even better, I turned on Vsync in the Nvidia control panel and it works.

This game runs and looks great. Voice acting is one of the best and so far no glitches.

It's got a little Resident Evil, System Shock and a dab of Bio shock, but it's a good mix.

So far really good.

I feel the camera is waaaay to close to Issac. I haven't messed with the mouse sensitivity much, but I'm not too too picky about mouse response. I do well in all respects.

Problem I saw was when I switched to aim mode at mid-dpi on my G5, the movement slowed waaaay down. So I turned it up to max on my mouse and so far so good.

Game is damn scary though.

Robbie your vids are where I stopped playing tonight. That dead guy that fell from the rafters after you opened the door was stuck up there for me...

So I broke off his legs with my fist.

Just read thru Wikapedia about this game. Sounds good, but also reminds me of Doom (the movie) and Bioshock. <---I dont keep up with dates of releases, so I dont know what came first.

Anyways, it peeked my interest enough that I would buy it for some hours of fun. I guess, in retrospect, I should NOT have read thru the Wikapedia as now I know the story of the game.....Oh well.

Yeah, I found Isaac a little close at first, but I got used to it. I was kinda ho hum about the game at first, but the further I got into it, the more it sucked me in.

They really nailed the vacuum sequences. You step into it, there's a whoosh of air and this eerie silence cut by the beeping of your heart monitor. Its brilliant.

I can't wait to get the flame thrower and the ripper upgraded, massive carnage.

I'm also eager to see how the higher difficulties play. Right now I'm only on medium.

The flamethrower and the pulse gun maxed out are really incredible to use.
These are my two favorite weapons.

I loved the zero gravity and no oxygen areas and how they were implemented in this game.

I beat it two nights ago and I already have that itch to want to fire it up again. The more I think on it, the more I really appreciate a lot of things in this game. Very well done!

I can't wait to pick this game up, it sounds incredible.

I personally think it is. I'm glad this came out about the same time as Far Cry 2 because it majorly has helped me offset the major letdown that FC2 is to me.

I love this game. I can't wait for a sequel.

I just keep upgrading the plasma cutter. To me it is the most versatile weapon available. The flamethrower is OK, but it doesn't stun enemies and on Hard, charging Necromorphs are bad.

I'm currently half-way through the game (I think) and am loving the game. Far Cry 2 to me, just cannot compare.

Yeah, I found Isaac a little close at first, but I got used to it. I was kinda ho hum about the game at first, but the further I got into it, the more it sucked me in.

They really nailed the vacuum sequences. You step into it, there's a whoosh of air and this eerie silence cut by the beeping of your heart monitor. Its brilliant.

I can't wait to get the flame thrower and the ripper upgraded, massive carnage.

I'm also eager to see how the higher difficulties play. Right now I'm only on medium.

yeah the ripper is awesome. Once you have it upgraded, you'll never have to worry about ammo again. I could kill 2 and maybe 3 enemies with a single blade (medium difficulty). They kept giving me more and more ripper ammo because I used it so much, so I just kept selling it. I never used the secondary fire unless I was all out of plasma for the pistol. Of course I always kept the plasma cutter upgraded for when I needed some long distance dismembering action.

I found the flamethrower to be utterly useless. Necromorphs just charge right through it, and it runs out of gas real fast. Ripper for close quarters, plasma cutter for long distance, line cutter for groups of enemies (or fast charging enemies), and whatever else I felt like messing with at the time for the fourth weapon slot.

The ripper eh? What about the line gun? I think I just got that one. Damn, forgot which weapon I just got! Looks like a wider version of the Plasma cutter. Either way, it's pretty cool.

This game is crazy, love the small scene...possible spoiler...

The blind girl with the bloody bandage over her eyes, comforting the maggot infested corpse. That was a nice touch.

Yeah, its really really fun... too bad even with vsync off the games sensitivity is incredibly shitty...

I find myself like picking up and throwing my mouse across my desk to aim.

yeah the ripper is awesome. Once you have it upgraded, you'll never have to worry about ammo again. I could kill 2 and maybe 3 enemies with a single blade (medium difficulty). They kept giving me more and more ripper ammo because I used it so much, so I just kept selling it. I never used the secondary fire unless I was all out of plasma for the pistol. Of course I always kept the plasma cutter upgraded for when I needed some long distance dismembering action.

I found the flamethrower to be utterly useless. Necromorphs just charge right through it, and it runs out of gas real fast. Ripper for close quarters, plasma cutter for long distance, line cutter for groups of enemies (or fast charging enemies), and whatever else I felt like messing with at the time for the fourth weapon slot.

I agree with this. I had high hopes for using the flame thrower on the groups of little enemies, but it just wasn't powerful enough, and the fuel ran out too fast. The ripper worked much better in that situation. I also recommend the contact beam if you need a fourth gun. It was pretty good (on medium difficulty) for one-shot killing enemies at long range. It takes a while to charge, so it is useless at close range. But, as the game progresses, some of the levels get pretty large, and it can come in handy.

Dead space is awesome (I own the ps3 version). Even with the lights off and my sound turned up, the monsters don't scare me (ok the one in level 5 did). Im on level 8 right now.
So far the only thing thats scaring me is the sound effects.

I'm enjoying it very much too. I just wish that the pc version got its own speacial suit, like with case fans and blue leds all over the place :D.

Don't like the idea of 3rd person only. If they patch a toggle for 1st person, I'll play it.

Just watched Dead Space Downfall which for those of you who don't know, an anime movie released along side the game as a prequel to Dead space the game, it shows the events leading up to the start of the first game.

I've not played the game yet but I've been told by mates it's good so I'm going to try and judge it on it's merits when I play it in the next few days, I think watching the movie before the game has shit me up a bit, kinda freaked out now knowing the sort of thing that lays ahead.

2 Things i'd like to point out here though...

1) EA releasing original IP is refreshing and should be supported.
2) The move towards expanding IP's from game mediums to movie is a good one, I support this move greatly and would love to see some more of the big titles in the works also have properly co-designed film media to acompany them, even if it's only animated. This whole afterthought movie making thing with Uwe Boll and various other low grade film makers is a dissapointment but things like the dead space movie are refreshing and encouraging, we know it can work well if given enough attention (riddick films/game, etc)

So Frost, Downfall is good eh? I have it in my netflix que, should get it today.

As far as the games graphics go, they are suprisingly great, what's more suprising is how well it's running on my rig.

Yeah I know it's all close quarters, but with the amount of detail they put into the rooms is refreshing. I'm just wondering what engine is this running on, or is it an original?

So Frost, Downfall is good eh? I have it in my netflix que, should get it today.

As far as the games graphics go, they are suprisingly great, what's more suprising is how well it's running on my rig.

Yeah I know it's all close quarters, but with the amount of detail they put into the rooms is refreshing. I'm just wondering what engine is this running on, or is it an original?

I think it's an original engine made in-house by Westwood and it produces some great visuals. Too bad that EA deems it necessary to DRM their games to the gills, especially one that looks as awesome as this.

Back