Imminent power supply failure?

Pegi

Limp Gawd
My desktop computer has a Seasonic X-850-KM3 that is 5 years old. Last week, the computer wouldn't boot; nothing happened when I pressed the on switch. Using the 30-second discharge tip, it came on and ran just fine. I ran a number of stress tests, and all ran perfectly, good temps, no restarts. The next morning, wouldn't turn on again. The 30-second discharge allowed me to boot up.

It was recommended that I switch the power supply from hybrid mode to normal mode. Since doing that, I've not had an issue...at least, no issue for the last few days. Boot-ups have been fine. Haven't needed to do the 30-second discharge.

The question is: Is the power supply itself starting to fail...and should I replace it? Or can I safely assume that something is just wrong with the hybrid mode of the PS and if I remain in normal mode, I'll be okay. I don't understand exactly why this has happened so am unable to make a decision. Any thoughts?

Which motherboard?
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2. Gad, I hope it's not the motherboard! Had all my sights on the power supply. Since writing the above, after working fine for a few days, the desktop just shut itself off while I was doing something, so I initiated a warranty PS replacement with Seasonic. I sent them a deposit and am waiting for the replacement (new? refurbished?) power supply before I send my current one to them since it does work sporadically and is usable while I wait.

I wish now I had just bought a brand new PS outright rather than go through this warranty business, as I suspect they'll get this old one and not find a thing wrong with it since, again, it does work sporadically. Hence my initial procrastination and indecision. Any way to test if it's the motherboard rather than the PS causing this grief?

I was checking if you had a Gigabyte Aorus Master because not powering on is a known issue with the same solution you used to fix it. I don't know about Asus having a similar issue so it probably isn't the motherboard though I don't know much about your model.

Since you now have two symptoms (doesn't power on, suddenly powers off in use) the PSU would be my first choice of things to swap out and test, so you are on the right track. Individually, these issues would point to different possible causes, like overheating CPU in the case of suddenly shutting off, but taken together it points to either the PSU or motherboard. Let's hope it's the PSU.

In the meantime, I would verify CPU temperatures and voltages by downloading HWiNFO 64 and taking a look while you are "doing that something" that previously shut down your system. As long as temps are reasonable then you can rule out overheating as a reason for the shutdown. If the voltages look good (within +/-10% of spec - ideally within 5% of spec) then only a PSU swap will help diagnose further.

How old is the PSU?

I had run some stress testing initially with Prime 95 and FurMark running together, and everything ran fine (one of the reasons why I was so hesitant initially to jump on the PS failure bandwagon)...there were no restarts/reboots and temps were acceptable. So hopefully Seasonic will get this replacement unit out quickly and my husband and I can swap it out (have never needed to change out a power supply before) and all problems will be resolved. The fact that my stress testing showed no problems, though, probably means Seasonic's will show no problems, either, despite knowing there's a problem here. Hard to diagnose "random." I don't know what Seasonic's policy will be at that point; whether I'll be forced to buy the replacement unit or have to return it.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts. I've never had a power supply fail--or threaten to fail--before. This one is five years old.

Back