I'm SERIOUSLY considering suing AMD...HD audio installation is a JOKE!

You have no idea what you're doing....HDMI HD audio is not broken....been using it for 2 years through all AMD driver updates, just fine. Calm down, and do more troubleshooting. It's probably your receiver.

See, I would tend to agree...however, a month ago I had HD audio working...don't know what I did, but it was working. So then 10.12 comes out and I'm all like "OH! OPTIMIZED 6870 DRIVERS FINALLY!" so I upgraded...HD audio goes away...

OK I think, must be the new drivers, so I do a COMPLETE uninstall of all drivers (Add/Remove Programs, manual removal from Device Manager, couple runs of the newest Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, etc.)...COMPLETELY EVERYTHING GONE! Re-install 10.10 with hotfix (same thing I was running when HD audio WAS working)...still nothing...so as far as it being my receiver with the issue I don't quite think thats the main problem as HD audio at one point was working perfectly fine.

The EDID stuff *has NOT* been permanently fixed with any drivers thus far. Just pop into AVS and ask for help. If you haven't noticed, posting around here is going to get you the same answer over and over.
Either that or move forward with your lawsuit...

I guess the really dumb thing to ask:

if they are not in crossfire, does it work?

And the really dumb thing to do:

if you reimage Windows 7, will it work, then? BTW, remove the AMD drivers by going into dev mananger, driver tab for your device (with only one installed), uninstall, delete the driver software for this device.

Works better than that joke, "Driver Sweeper," which hasn't done anything useful for me since... XP was ditched by me.

Yes, I read your post above. Cannot find a compatible EDID for my AVR-1610...if you can I'm all for it, but none of the ones I've tried are working (i.e. - they can't be installed).

Others have suggested the same things as me. No point in repeating the same stuff over and over!!

This probably has to do with blu ray specifically. I have gone though similar issues with a 5670 however I do not have a receiver but getting the junk to work consistently over HDMI was a PIA I just gave up and used a 3.5mm splitter and sent it strait to the TV.

Blu Ray sucks because of sony HDCP and whatever else is involved. I am 100% sure they want shit to be hard to use so they can force people to buy PS3s and other stand alone devices. Sony and their cohort have always operated in this way.

As said for the average user this shit should just work. There is no reasonable reason why it should not work. Perfectly compatible TVs that are more than capable fail HDCP compliancy for no reason. I am watching this because I have an HDCP running my main blu ray player with an ATI card. I have already had enough trouble with display options and audio as is. I will be getting a onkyo receiver during Christmas and will see if things are bad.

Lots of people get these things working, but in reality it is way harder than the plug and play it should be.

OK...goddamn...fixed it...

I'm going to say right off the bat that I didn't do this last time it was working...so I really dont know what gives here...but I rebooted with driver protection disable and was able to install a EDID for a AVR-1910 Denon receiver (still wouldn't let me use a AVR-1610 one...) reset my computer and lo and behold HD audio is working with PowerDVD 10...haven't tried the other programs, but I prefer PowerDVD 10 anyways so its all gravy.

SO I guess it was a EDID conflict somewhere...just odd that I didn't have to do this last time HD audio had been working (before going to 10.12...maybe the new drivers disabled it? Fuck if I know...).

Either case, its working now...and Ill be sure to keep the AVR-1910 EDID incase I have to reinstall drivers/Windows on down the line at some point.

and what would your lawsuit claim exactly? how has AMD legally wronged you?

i understand you are having some sort of issue and are frustrated, but using sensationalist language and blowing everything out of proportion solves nothing and makes you look like a whiney asshole. it genuinely disgusts me when someone threatens a lawsuit over nothing whatsoever.

glad you fixed it though....

These kinds of problems are awful... I can't even sleep when something like this is rolling around inside my head. Glad you got it working.

-HD

Regardless of the flow of the thread and the title - it really is stupid that you have to go this far out of the way to get things working.
In general I've noticed that with both ATI and Nvidia - the HDMI audio is often there as more of a check-box than something they really put a lot of effort into. It works, but it's far from trouble free and if there's an issue it tends to take forever to fix it if they even acknowledge it exists at all.

OK...goddamn...fixed it...

I'm going to say right off the bat that I didn't do this last time it was working...so I really dont know what gives here...but I rebooted with driver protection disable and was able to install a EDID for a AVR-1910 Denon receiver (still wouldn't let me use a AVR-1610 one...) reset my computer and lo and behold HD audio is working with PowerDVD 10...haven't tried the other programs, but I prefer PowerDVD 10 anyways so its all gravy.

SO I guess it was a EDID conflict somewhere...just odd that I didn't have to do this last time HD audio had been working (before going to 10.12...maybe the new drivers disabled it? Fuck if I know...).

Either case, its working now...and Ill be sure to keep the AVR-1910 EDID incase I have to reinstall drivers/Windows on down the line at some point.

My last 2 receivers were Denon and I now have the 1910. I willing to bet more than anything it was your receiver menu settings assigning audio to HDMI ports along with additional default settings that were conflicting. The 1610 and 1910 have some different built in features along with defaults.

Lemme give you some solid advice here if you haven't seen this: Best damn instructions created by an AVS forum member http://batpigworld.com/setup.html

The instructions for Denon are garbage. Makes life easier with his.

btw nothing against you but I think your lawsuit would not have gone anywhere, as there are countless customers with similar setups that have gotten it working.

Regardless of the flow of the thread and the title - it really is stupid that you have to go this far out of the way to get things working.
In general I've noticed that with both ATI and Nvidia - the HDMI audio is often there as more of a check-box than something they really put a lot of effort into. It works, but it's far from trouble free and if there's an issue it tends to take forever to fix it if they even acknowledge it exists at all.

But it's not the fault of AMD or Nvidia. It's all the garbage introduced to stop piracy like HDCP and PAP that causes all the problems. And HDMI is a little iffy at the best of times anyway :)

Not surprised it turned out to be an EDID issue. One thing I have learned over the years is that nobody can screw up a devices EDID like a video card manufacturer. I will never understand why it is even possible for permanent changes to the EDID info to be made. You would think at the very least that they would include a simple OSD/menu option to restore default EDID.

Not surprised it turned out to be an EDID issue. One thing I have learned over the years is that nobody can screw up a devices EDID like a video card manufacturer. I will never understand why it is even possible for permanent changes to the EDID info to be made. You would think at the very least that they would include a simple OSD/menu option to restore default EDID.

lol its not the video card manufactures screwing it up. its the stupid digital protection garbage they keep adding. most likely some bullcrap they added with hdmi 1.4a that the other card didnt have with hdmi 1.3

Glad you fixed your issue, but i honestly hope you have better judgement than the thread title would indicate. Seems ridiculous to me to potentially waste $1000s on a $250 product.

I was under the impression that using a EDID file does not change the EDID in the attached device but provide your driver with a different EDID than the one stored in the attached device. It is mostly the fault of the manufacturer of the attached device for not providing a error-free EDID in the first place.

Yeah, you're not changing anything with the device - just the Windows monitor driver and how it sees the device. It's also definitely not just an HDMI 1.4a issue either. I had troubles with my 5870 (HDMI 1.3) outputting to 3 different receivers that were HDMI 1.3.

Thanks for the laugh of the day. Suing a graphics card company for audio problems. :rolleyes:

That's like me suing my company because I pay taxes.

I suggest you sue AMD pro se. I'd love to see the mess their lawyers would make of you.

Glad you fixed your issue, but i honestly hope you have better judgement than the thread title would indicate. Seems ridiculous to me to potentially waste $1000s on a $250 product.

Not if the product doesnt do what its advertised to do. False advertising perhaps?

Thanks for the laugh of the day. Suing a graphics card company for audio problems. :rolleyes:

That's like me suing my company because I pay taxes.

That is in no way related and makes no sense.

I suggest you sue AMD pro se. I'd love to see the mess their lawyers would make of you.

Am I the only one that remembers the class action lawsuit that people won where their cards didnt support HDCP when they said they did? They lost...bad...I know I got a free graphics card from it.

And if I were to have sued it would have most definitely been a class action case...as I'm sure there would have been plenty of people just wanting to jump in!

Anyways, glad that soooo many of you think its absolutely hilarious (i.e. grow up!).

Am I the only one that remembers the class action lawsuit that people won where their cards didnt support HDCP when they said they did? They lost...bad...I know I got a free graphics card from it.

And if I were to have sued it would have most definitely been a class action case...as I'm sure there would have been plenty of people just wanting to jump in!

Anyways, glad that soooo many of you think its absolutely hilarious (i.e. grow up!).
Except in your "case", you even admitted that it did work and then you decided to update and it didn't work anymore. In the HDCP lawsuit AMD didn't support HDCP at all. How is this even the same?

Not if the product doesnt do what its advertised to do. False advertising perhaps?

That is in no way related and makes no sense.

But, the problem wasn't with your graphic card. It never was, it's the fault of HDCP, PAP or whoever makes the regulations to stop piracy that makes things so hard to connect. That's what people have been trying to tell you.

Your card works exactly as advertised.

I was under the impression that using a EDID file does not change the EDID in the attached device but provide your driver with a different EDID than the one stored in the attached device. It is mostly the fault of the manufacturer of the attached device for not providing a error-free EDID in the first place.

I had a monitor that became completely useless with an ATI card after I used it with an Nvidia card. It was a known, but not exactly common, issue in which the Nvidia card farked up the stored EDID so the ATI would no longer work. At least that is what I was told was happening at the time.

OP is an idiot. "Advanced user" my ass.

He obviously is missing something fundamental. I had a HIS 6870 for a month and it worked perfectly fine out of the box with bitstreaming HD audio and had no problem sending 6 and 8 channel LPCM over HDMI. Worked fine with TMT 3, TMT 5, PowerDVD and FFDShow. Worked fine with all 10.00-10.12 drivers.

Back