• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm not buying AMD anymore.

Grizzle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
231
I'm not impressed with any of my AMD systems. They are not "Top of the line" but they are ok.

I've got a barton 2500+ not oc'd, MSI board ( yeah yeah yeah ) 512 mem, and a sapphire 128 meg 9600 vid.

Granted it is a cheaper system, it SHOULD run games fine. It doesn't. I really would like to play Desert Combat on it, but I cannot.

I have all updated drivers.

I'm switching to INTEL and Im buying a "real" video card. :)

Sorry, just had to vent.
 
Though the 9600 isn't the greatest card in the world... it's probably faster than my M9. And the 2500+ is definitely faster than my 1.4GHz P-M. And this plays desert combat fine... granted @ 10x7.. but still fine.
 
This sounds a lot like user error:rolleyes:
can you at least describe the problem?
what have you tried,
 
while i dont play dc, i do have bf 1942 and many other games on here that play just fine

the problem is somewhere between the chair and keyboard/mouse, not between the socket and heatsink/fan
 
Check for common things like:

Spyware (use ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, and spyware blaster to remove it)

Viruses (AVG anti virus is free)

defragged hard drive (diskeeper lite)

You'd be amazed how bad spyware will slow down your system
 
come on dude :rolleyes:

i got a 2500 and KINGSTON ram and a 9200 and i can play games great... and i used to have a msi kt3 in this system and that played games good too... maybe your 2500 is running at around 1ghz, mine did that the first time i put it in on my msi board and my abit one. try gettin some more ram and overclock it.
 
Well exactly how would you say this is user error?

Some of the problems are as follows.

I cannot run the game at MEDIUM graphics. If it's on high the game is glitchy.

Here is my system specs:
2500
120 gig wd hd
msi k7n2-V
sapphire 9600

I've messed with the settings on game, etc.

Although, what I find odd...This system plays COD just fine?
 
if everyone decided to stop buying from a specific company because of one bad experience, the economy would be in a pretty screwed up state.
there are tons of different components in your computer, and there are tons of different errors that could be the problem. there is tons of software which controls the hardware.
who are you to say that its the processors fault? IMO its an excellent processor, and amd is an excellent company.
and btw, what do you mean by a "real" video card? not to sound like a smartass or anything, but are 9600s "imaginary" or something?

edit/ make sure your running all the right drivers.......
 
Originally posted by ToddTheFrog
i'd be willing to bet its user error

it's gotta be! i'm running games all the time on my 1300 Duron and i ususally have absolutly no problems. you can look in my sig to see the rest of my not so hot rig!

User for sure:rolleyes:
 
What I meant by "Real" is that I'm tired of buying shit on a budget. I'm going all out on my next pc.
 
dont double post
oh wait thats user error:p

you must not be doing something wrong in setting up the system

Edit, typo
 
Originally posted by d03boy
Check for common things like:

Spyware (use ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, and spyware blaster to remove it)

Viruses (AVG anti virus is free)

defragged hard drive (diskeeper lite)

You'd be amazed how bad spyware will slow down your system

did you read all the posts?
 
btw: if you think intel is gonna get you anywhere, good luck! more money for less. that's their motto isn't it? :D
 
Originally posted by Grizzle
What I meant by "Real" is that I'm tired of buying shit on a budget. I'm going all out on my next pc.
Budgetary constraints are a fact of life. If you can't handle doing things on a budget then you can't handle real life.

I've always built on a budget and i can do everything a dual Opteron user can do. (Except run 64-bit Linux)

Hell, my dually rig only cost $ 550 with LCD monitor.

PEBCAK.
 
I am never satisfied with my AMD systems either... i dunno why...

except when i had a 1Ghz AXIA @ 1500 like 5 yrs ago :p
 
Yea, you probably should not own an AMD chip. Matter of fact, you might want to stay away from DIY systems all together.

Get yourself a Dell.
 
are you dense? How can it not be a user error? You yourself said slower cpus run your stuff fine but this 2500+ wont. How can a specific cpu architecture be the fault (let alone a name brand) for your problems? Looks to me like you are just using AMD as a scape goat for your problems.
 
I agree its user error, the error is the user isn't troubeshooting, if you want to go spend $$$ on an intel system and have it crap out as well cuz you can't troubleshoot go right ahead.

I am running a similar setup

XP2500 oc'd to 2800
MSI kt3 Ultra FSB 166
8500le
crucial 512 pc2100 oc'd to pc2700

Granted I have parts overclocked, I can run pretty much all my games at 1024x768. Including NFSU, COD, BF1942,, MOHAA granted I can't have all the "pretties" turned up high, but the games are very playable.

Learn to trouble shoot and listen to the advice you might save yoursefl some cash.

Hell I just got COD and was having all kinds of problems and I was ready to dump my video card and drop 200 for a 9700pro, turned out I just needed updated drivers for the card and boom playing great.
 
I bet $50 when he builds an Intel system hes still going to get crappy frame rates.

Dude your getting a Dell. :cool:
 
The real sad part of this story is he'll tell a friend or family member that AMD sucks (not himself of course) and they'll tell two friends and so on and so on.
 
i've never had a single problem with my system. well, what i run is in my sig and i've played desert combat fine. so i'd be very impressed if it was solely amd's fault.

does it do it for other games, any hardware conflicts in device manager or anything equally basic?

edit: i've loved every amd machine i've ever had.
 
Originally posted by Grizzle
What I meant by "Real" is that I'm tired of buying shit on a budget. I'm going all out on my next pc.

a Fool and his money are soon parted...:rolleyes:
 
Grizzle, Ive just bought BF1942 few days ago and installed DC .6 (now its .7). here are my specs:

ATI 9800pro 128
MSI 6533 (4x mobo)
512 DDR 2700 infineon ram
P4 1.8
Onboard audio
WinXP Pro

after I tryed running bf1942 or dc it would be really fricken laggy no matter if the resolution was at 800x600:16 so ive spent around 10 mins on the options menu of bf1942 and saw that audio was at 44hz or something like it which was the highest quality audio, so i thought that it was too high for my onboard audio, so i lowered it down to 22hz and tried again. BAM that was my problem, now I can run my high resolution and does not lag at all. So try lowering the audio quality on the options menu of bf1942 or DC.
 
Originally posted by Grizzle
Please explain how this could be "User"

I'm lost.


Because your system should be able to run that game with no problems but its not.
 
I agreee with Grizzle. He should get rid of that AMD crap, but not get Intel crap either. I suggest he go buy a GameCube, PS2 or XBox.
 
I could run BF1942 and DC .6 fine on my old 8500le and my barton 2500+

the only thing is BF needs allot of ram because switching from teh game broswer to gameplay menu takes a while.

I can play with high details with my 9600xt and 2500+
 
I don't know, I'm not blaming the man, but like in my Sig, I have an AthlonXP 1800+ with a 9600xt and that thing is kickass. It plays all of the games I love like CoD, BF1942, Enemy Territory wonderfully. All on my 10 year old 21" NEC 6FG monitor...heh.

If you don't call my Athlon a budget system, I don't know what is.

Wait, no, take that back, the Athlon 1Ghz and A7N266-VM I built yesterday is, and that plays CoD just fine.
 
Originally posted by Met-AL
I agreee with Grizzle. He should get rid of that AMD crap, but not get Intel crap either. I suggest he go buy a GameCube, PS2 or XBox.

LMAO!!

I've never had any problems running games (including BF1942 and DC) on my Athlon rig (in sig) with the settings cranked up... Or, at least, not until my mobo died recently :rolleyes: (which is something that I can't blame AMD for but I can blame EPoX :D )

As a side note, I've built 4 rigs using the EPoX 8RDA+ mobo and 2 of the boards have since died (the AGP slot went out on one and it would seem that the BIOS chip (or possibly something else) may have failed on the other). However, I don't go around saying that the 8RDA+ is a bad board--mainly because it's not a bad board. I just happen to have real bad luck :rolleyes:
 
I love marks sig, it goes well with grizzles problems.
And yes, all of your problems are because you went with
an AMD system. Go buy an X-box, I heard it has an intel inside.
 
Originally posted by Grizzle
Well exactly how would you say this is user error?

I'd say this is user error because I play Desert Combat on a Athlon XP 1600+ and a GeForce 4 MX-440 card. Both of which are far slower than what you have. Most likely you have some configuration error. Have you tried bechmarking to make sure all the subsystems are working correctly? Checked to make sure your memory isn't running at PC-66 speeds? Tried anything other than blaming the company that made the processor when they're renowned for performance in gaming especially for the price? With a slightly older card as the 9600, try running a older driver. Maybe some ATI folks with the card will chime in and say something on this, but with my older card I've found drivers from several releases back that work better with my particular card than the latest "greatest". Is your CPU running hot? Got a slow hard drive? Etc?
 
it's not the wand it's the wizard!

or something...

how do the rest of ya games run?
 
Heh - user error? Builder error, maybe. My machine in sig (note the GF3 card, not some fancy GF4 or FX card) runs pretty good in BF at mostly high settings and 10x7. I turned down the effects to 80% because the quality of the explosion doesn't make me play any better or worse. My only lag comes when there are lotsa aircraft buzzing around or many very close-in explosions. If my machine can play it ok, I would think yours should have absolutely no problem. Tell you what - since mine works and yours doesn't, let's just swap rigs. (I keep the monitor and speakers :D )
 
Back
Top