• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm looking for a really nice gaming headset

  • Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Guest
I want a really comfy, good performing headset, for $100 or less, prefferably less...
I was originally thinking about getting the sennheiser pc160sk, from ecost.com, but I don't really know if I want those after reading a review on tomshardware.com about the regular pc160s, and that ecost.com has HORRIFYING reseller ratings...
now on newegg I found these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836509102
steelpads^
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826159413
sennheiser pc160 (nonsk)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836508101
Icemat siberia (what HEATON uses)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826159901
Creative^ (to match my sound card, speakers, and mp3 player :p)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106346
cheaper sennheisers

please help me out, I need to order these and an LCD by tommorow.... er actually by sunday night lol, considering it won't ship until monday anyways..
 
bump for the night :/ it's a whole half-page down there and no replys/barely any views...
 
I've been looking at the same headphones, believe it or not!

For me, it is between these:

Sennheiser pc160 SK or non SK edition
Steelpad 5h
Icemat Siberia

Now, I like the looks of the pc160 SK edition the most, but this headset is so hard to find on the internet in the USA, it is unbelievable!

The standard pc160 is nice too, but only if I can get it for less then $80. If the price goes up, then I think I rather get the Steel 5h, which is $84 on newegg. This Steel is supposed to be better then the Icemat though, as it is geared towards pro gamers while the icemat is more for casual gamers. (In general, that is their marketing strategy, although pros do use the icemat of course.)

I am having a hard time deciding too, but it is between the pc160 and Steel 5h for me. If I can find the SK edition of the 160, I will get it, but if not, probably the Steel 5h. Anyone see the SK edition for sale anywhere?
 
I wonder if they even will have it in stock anytime soon? It says they don't have it in their warehouse and to call to see when they will get it.
 
hmm, i guess some1 ordered one of them because yesterday it said next-day delivery...
 
The mic on the Steel headset comes out, and goes back in when you don't need it. I think that may be the best way to go. When you aren't using the mic, do you still have to keep it out with the pc160? It would be distracting to have it out all of the time especially when you don't need it ingame.

I tried to negociate on that site, but they only reduced the price by like $5..and I can get that off anyway with their coupon discounts. You can't combine coupon discounts and a negociated price, so it comes out to about the same. Eh.
 
The pc160 has a FIXED microphone, as reported by tomshardware.com... If the mic comes in and out, I am getting the steelpads, NOW.... that would be sooo awesome...
 
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it goes in and out. Look at the "zoom in" picture on the steel site:

https://www.steelpad.com/shop/default.asp?main=products

The one on the left is with the mic in, and then I guess you put it out and you get the picture on the right.

I'm probably going to get the Steel as well, but I am going to do a few more days of research just to be sure.

I can always just pick up a Sennheiser HD 650 and buy a microphone. :D
 
Just ordered the steelpads for $90 shipped @ newegg.
 
dude, it ships monday morning... lolz
Ya so if you really feel the need to research it go ahead, I already read a few reviews, but the pull in and out mic wins it for me.

Step 3 of 5: Your credit/debit card has been successfully charged. Please note that you may no longer make changes to your order.
 
they shipped yesterday @ 2:40PM...
lmao perfect timing for me on the headphones
 
Write a review of it as soon as you get it! I think I am ordering tomorrow, newegg just put up another discount on it.

I am still kind of deciding between the pc160 and the 5H though..tough decision.
 
What about the hd-280s with the mic attached? I like the hd-280 for the computer.

HMD-280 pro is the model number I think.

edit: sennheiser

edit2: oh you ordered something else already.. don't mind me :D
 
I have the HD280 pro. They sound good for music, but they hurt my ears after being on for a long time. And I think these other headsets that are optimized for games might sound better in such applications.
 
this will be my first pair of headphones over $20, and also my first headset... ATM I'm using sony studio headphones that I bought for $20 at bestbuy a while ago (LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG time ago... back when we were still on 800mhz compaqs...) :p
 
Just received them today (wednesday! OMGZORS IT CAME A DAY EARLY!!!)
They are VERY comfy, plenty of bass, still only just got to use them though, havn't tried the mic. expect a full review by tommorow ;)
 
I am picking mine up from FedEX in 4 hours! (I missed the delivery this morning.) ;(

I will also have a review up later. :D
 
Yea i missed it also, but I picked it up... tons of bass, comfy, mic works good, fits around your ears (well it depends on the size of your ears)... wire is the perfect length for me.
It didn't come with any directions, just a sheet that said do not listen to loud music for over an hour... the pull out mic is a bit hard to get back in, you have to maneuver it around into the hole.. it doesnt feed itself in. Noise cancelling is fairly good...
I think ill give it a 9/10.
9/10
 
Yeah, I just got mine. It sounds pretty good with music, and the sound is very clear in games. The bass is nice as well, and it is light and very comfortable.

The sound of my Sennheiser HD280's is a bit sharper for music, but in games, they are more or less fairly equal I think.
 
I can't get the mic to work though for some reason..I wonder what the problem is?
 
make sure the volume control is up (the slider, not the spinny thing on the side of the controller...)
 
I got it working pretty good. So far I like it a lot, it is very light and fits well, and the sound quality is excellent!
 
Does it fit over your ears? for me it does, but I have small ears...
 
Yeah, it is actually very comfortable. It fits fine, my ears are normal sized I guess.

The only thing though, it does feel a little bit flimsy in its contruction, like it could break easily lol!
 
rondocap said:
Yeah, it is actually very comfortable. It fits fine, my ears are normal sized I guess.

The only thing though, it does feel a little bit flimsy in its contruction, like it could break easily lol!

seems very sturdy for me... my old shitty sony's have gone through hell and back in a backpack, the part that connects the earpiece to the headband snapped, but it still hangs on somehow...
these are the most comfy h-phones I've ever worn, but I need a haircut because I keep getting my hair stuck in the earpiece lol... I dunno if this is just me, but the fact that the cord comes on and off is the best thing ever... I can wire it nice and clean, and then just plug the other half into it, and it works out awesome...
 
I am really enjoying it. Played hours of BF2, sound and comfort are awesome!

Funny how we both were looking for a headset and ended up getting the samething from the same place!
 
rondocap said:
I am really enjoying it. Played hours of BF2, sound and comfort are awesome!

Funny how we both were looking for a headset and ended up getting the samething from the same place!

even funnier is how I got mine for $10 less than what you paid :D ;)
 
elite.mafia said:
even funnier is how I got mine for $10 less than what you paid :D ;)


Yeah, well, I couldn't do anything about that. I would of ordered them before Monday, but I had to go to the bank and deposit more $ for my credit card, and the bank was closed before then..oh well!

They are still worth it! :D
 
Back
Top