I'm debating buying a console

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently picked up a nice flat screen TV. I wouldn't mind doing some gaming on it but I'll be honest I can't think of too many PC games where I will actually use a controller over a mouse and keyboard. I also grew up with Nintendo consoles and I'll always have a soft spot for Nintendo games. I think that the Wii might do a good job scratching that itch for a good platformer and I could drive over to Best Buy right now and pick up a Wii for $180 which isn't too bad. On the other hand there also seems to be some really good PS3 exclusives out like GT5 as well as the other console exclusives that I wouldn't mind playing like Fight night and red dead revolver. Would I be better off spending the extra couple of bucks on a PS3? With my gaming pc I'm just not so sure that I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

well if you want to play nintendo games you buy wii
if you want to play all kinds of different exclusives mainly from 3rd party devs you get ps3

p.s you can just buy and sell after beating games on console to save some money

You are the only one who can make the decision for yourself. get the wii and play Resident Evil 4

If Dolphin works properly with a real wii remote that would be the best of both worlds.

If you have young kids, family, extended family that comes over to play, then a Wii is a better choice even though the gfx are crappy. PS3 is pretty expensive for a console you will likely not be using much but it does have the blue ray player which is something you may want if you watch blue ray dvds often rather than stream stuff from Netflix.

I have both consoles and I barely have used either of them. I think it's a "the grass is greener" type of deal but I still spend the majority of my gaming time on the PC.

Honestly, I'd fork over for a HD console. The Wii is a cool system with quite a few good games, but you miss out on nearly all of the non-Nintendo AAA titles (which is a shame, as Mass Effect, RDR, and others are amazing gaming experiences). The Wii really doesn't do a shiny new HDTV any justice AT ALL if that's a priority for you. Even the 360 and PS3 are getting a tad long in the tooth these days.

At the same time, Mario Galaxy was insanely fun before we sold ours. Nintendo games do have a very unique appeal that is impossible to replicate.

I'd go 360 or PS3. If blu-ray and free netflix streaming are something you're interested in I'd give the edge to PS3. Especially since you're mostly a PC gamer.

Honestly, I'd fork over for a HD console. The Wii is a cool system with quite a few good games, but you miss out on nearly all of the non-Nintendo AAA titles (which is a shame, as Mass Effect, RDR, and others are amazing gaming experiences). The Wii really doesn't do a shiny new HDTV any justice AT ALL if that's a priority for you. Even the 360 and PS3 are getting a tad long in the tooth these days.

At the same time, Mario Galaxy was insanely fun before we sold ours. Nintendo games do have a very unique appeal that is impossible to replicate.

I have my PC hooked up to the TV and I also have a wireless 360 controller so if anything that will do the HDTV more justice than either the 360 or PS3. If I need my graphics whore fix my PC will fill that one with ease.

I'd say there is more quality and variation to play on the PS3, outside the same Nintendo first party titles there is next to nothing worth playing on the Wii and it'll soon gather dust.

It's either Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, NSMB, Metroid etc (see a theme here? :D) and party games ad finitum or Uncharted, God of War, GT5, Motorstorm etc.....throw in a Move set and you can have party games there too I guess.

I got a PS3 first since most 360 exclusives are available on PC anyway.

So Mad World, No More Hereos, Murmasa, TVC, I could continue aren't non nintendo AAA titles?

PS3, get a blu ray player for the nice new tv too as well as a great gaming system. Since it sounds like you just want play non PC titles, the PS3 has a solid exclusive list of games and for when you do want to play online it is free.

I'd say there is more quality and variation to play on the PS3, outside the same Nintendo first party titles there is next to nothing worth playing on the Wii and it'll soon gather dust.

It's either Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, NSMB, Metroid etc (see a theme here? :D) and party games ad finitum or Uncharted, God of War, GT5, Motorstorm etc.....throw in a Move set and you can have party games there too I guess.

what he said I bought PS3/Xbox 360 used a few months ago and hands down the PS3 has more exclusive/better selection. The only reason I bought the 360 was for Halo/Gears of war series.

Last edited:
Get a ps3 and a Wii. Not at the same time, unless you have that kind of money. I have both, and enjoy them both. Epic Mickey just came out, and I love it on the Wii. If you do get a PS3 though, and you have a PS2 or PS2 game do some digging for the older ones. I've been playing The Suffering. Also Netflix works on both the PS3 and the Wii, so it's not exclusive to any console, and plus you don't have to pay for a subscription for online access.

This
I have enjoyed my PS3 very much. The PS3 exclusives are just that. Exclusive. I've also found that they are very good games and I'm glad I didn't miss out on them. Uncharted 1&2, Infamous (2 coming out soon), Resistance:FOM 2 & 3, GT series, Killzone series (KZ 3 released any day now)... etc. etc.
Throwing a 360 controller on a PC will cover your XBox needs for the most part. There are some platformers and racing games that play much better on PC with a controller.

This
I have enjoyed my PS3 very much. The PS3 exclusives are just that. Exclusive. I've also found that they are very good games and I'm glad I didn't miss out on them. Uncharted 1&2, Infamous (2 coming out soon), Resistance:FOM 2 & 3, GT series, Killzone series (KZ 3 released any day now)... etc. etc.

Thats another problem with the PS3. I'm not really some huge fan of third person shooters. I can play one every now and then but I get my fill of those on the PC. Not one of those games interests me to be completely honest. The games that I would really love to play is GT5 (I loved GT2 on the playstation), the new fight night, one of the UFC games, RDR, FF13, Heavy rain, I enjoyed ratchet and clank, and I'm sure that there are a few more.

I'm on the verge of buying a PS3 for Demon Souls (and its sequel) , the new motorstorm and to finish GoW3. Oh and for the new Twisted Metal (one of my personal favorite console game series).

Problem is I would have to sell my 360 or trade it in for credit and I'm not really game for that at the moment.

I do want a PS3 though..

Agreed. PS3 has more exclusives than Xbox 360. Many of the Xbox titles are also on PC. If you can only get one, grab the PS3. To top it off, it also is a blu-ray player.

Just to pitch in that a blu ray player is becoming largely irrelevant unless you make it a habit to rent physical blu rays and/or you have a slow internet connection. The availability of HD streaming for a lower combined price than it costs you to rent some blu ray discs really puts physical discs at a huge disadvantage. Furthermore, buying a stand alone blu ray and a wii will be less expensive than a ps3, and either of those will suck less power than a ps3 if electricity cost is an issue (I know it is for me paying nearly 20 cents/kWh).

Thats another problem with the PS3. I'm not really some huge fan of third person shooters. I can play one every now and then but I get my fill of those on the PC. Not one of those games interests me to be completely honest. The games that I would really love to play is GT5 (I loved GT2 on the playstation), the new fight night, one of the UFC games, RDR, FF13, Heavy rain, I enjoyed ratchet and clank, and I'm sure that there are a few more.

Just examples of games that I enjoyed that are not available on any other platform. Like you mentioned, there are more and I thought I was like you before I got this thing. Not a fan of 3rd person jumpy games...or shooters with a controller. But, I tried Uncharted and found it cool for me just relaxing on the couch not getting to serious with it and now I'm glad I haven't missed out on those games that I mentioned.

Also, the Move system. I would almost buy the damned thing just to get the Move system with that Sports game disk that comes with the bundle because I have had a blast with that thing. We have Disc Golf/Margarita Drinking tournaments with the neighbors. :) Tiger Woods 2010 is pretty cool with the Move system as well. Almost feels like your really golfing.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed my PS3 and that is what I would reccomend.

Just to pitch in that a blu ray player is becoming largely irrelevant unless you make it a habit to rent physical blu rays and/or you have a slow internet connection. The availability of HD streaming for a lower combined price than it costs you to rent some blu ray discs really puts physical discs at a huge disadvantage. Furthermore, buying a stand alone blu ray and a wii will be less expensive than a ps3, and either of those will suck less power than a ps3 if electricity cost is an issue (I know it is for me paying nearly 20 cents/kWh).

LOL, ummm NO.

There is no comparison whatsoever between "HD" streaming and physical blu rays if you have a good TV.

I'm in the same boat. Only I want to play RDR pretty badly and am getting doubtful that it ever makes it to PC. Blu-Ray is a plus, too.

Really the only thing holding me back is the noise factor.

Dreamcast.

Fuck Yeah.

sega_dc_10th_01.jpg

LOL, ummm NO.

There is no comparison whatsoever between "HD" streaming and physical blu rays if you have a good TV.

Actually, there's no difference between HD streaming and a physical blu ray if you have a good Internet connection. 1920×1080 is 1920×1080 no matter where it comes from, the TV itself becomes irrelevant.

The difference is the video codec, the frame rate, and the audio quality. However, I think that it's fair to say that folks who have to ponder whether or not to spend $200 aren't the crowd that necessarily appreciates the actual differences between streaming and physical, so for practical purposes they are the same.

I'm on the verge of buying a PS3 for Demon Souls (and its sequel) , the new motorstorm and to finish GoW3. Oh and for the new Twisted Metal (one of my personal favorite console game series).

Problem is I would have to sell my 360 or trade it in for credit and I'm not really game for that at the moment.

I do want a PS3 though..

In the Demon Souls sequel thread, it was mentioned that it's coming to 360.:cool:

Dreamcast.

I salute you, sir.

Actually, there's no difference between HD streaming and a physical blu ray if you have a good Internet connection. 1920×1080 is 1920×1080 no matter where it comes from, the TV itself becomes irrelevant.

The difference is the video codec, the frame rate, and the audio quality. However, I think that it's fair to say that folks who have to ponder whether or not to spend $200 aren't the crowd that necessarily appreciates the actual differences between streaming and physical, so for practical purposes they are the same.

love how you have to throw that "if you have" in there. Sorry but I have seen streaming HD on netflix with a 25mpbs cable connection and blu-ray and blu-ray wins hands down not even close see you later.....

No. Just no. Not even close.

I would get a Wii and a 360, around the same price as one PS3 :D

Kids and I have fun with the Wii, and while I do the majority of my gaming on PC, a 360 would be nice to have (I haven't bought one yet but am on the fence, as the kiddos computer is dying, and they only play games on it.)

I'm in the same boat. Only I want to play RDR pretty badly and am getting doubtful that it ever makes it to PC.

Yeah if we haven't heard even so much as a rumor by now, I'd say there is no chance.
Even though my desktop is ancient and couldn't run it properly, I would like to play it on PC one day. I've seen how much better GTA4 with mods looks than consoles.

LA Noir is going to be a fantastic game, and I highly doubt that will come to PC either.

You do miss out on some great titles if you don't have a console.

Although I've been mostly a console gamer the last couple years, I still appreciate PC gaming. If Brink gets great reviews, I'll have to build a new rig for it, because a) I'm a huge splash damage fanboy,

and b) I still haven't warmed up to playing MP FPS with a controller.

love how you have to throw that "if you have" in there. Sorry but I have seen streaming HD on netflix with a 25mpbs cable connection and blu-ray and blu-ray wins hands down not even close see you later.....

So what you are saying is that to you, at your connection speed which isn't even enough to allow for a full HD audio stream, the cost of a blu ray player (integrated into a PS3) plus the cost of renting physical blu rays is justifiable due you experiencing a perceived benefit from viewing a physical disc.

My point is that those who need time to ponder whether to buy this console or that console may be willing to accept a lower standard if such standard comes at a lower cost. For example, having a new HD TV doesn't necessarily mean there's an HD audio setup to go along with it.

Furthermore, just knowing that you receive higher quality is often insufficient to justify an expense if the benefit is intangible. A good example is CPU speed, the difference between 2.8 Ghz and 3 Ghz is 0.2 Ghz, but that is a meaningless number that you may not want to spend that additional $30 in price difference on.

LA Noir is going to be a fantastic game, and I highly doubt that will come to PC either.

I just read about that for the first time. It doesn't trip my trigger quite like RDR, but it still looks good.

What seems to be the best deal for ps3 right now. Amazon with $50 credit?

Others have already corrected your ignorance on the topic but I'm going to step in and berate you again. Blu Rays have 25GB+ capacity, tell me what streaming site streams files that large. You can't, because as far as I'm aware no site does, and almost nobody has the connection to stream at that quality regardless. I love how you make a false claim and then try to defend it by saying "oh, OP is an undiscerning rube, he won't notice the difference." Why not just tell the truth and let him make his own decision?

The TV is hardly irrelevant. Spoken like someone who doesn't have a nice TV. On a laptop screen, the difference between a stream and a blu ray isn't going to be nearly as apparent. Similarly, a lot of LCDs are lacking in visual fidelity, as are even the earlier 1080p plasmas from even Panasonic. On my Pioneer Elite, streaming looks like garbage compared to a physical disk.

PS3 is definitely the way to go! I have all 3 consoles...and find the other 2 spend more time catching dust than anything else!

I recently picked up a nice flat screen TV. I wouldn't mind doing some gaming on it but I'll be honest I can't think of too many PC games where I will actually use a controller over a mouse and keyboard. I also grew up with Nintendo consoles and I'll always have a soft spot for Nintendo games. I think that the Wii might do a good job scratching that itch for a good platformer and I could drive over to Best Buy right now and pick up a Wii for $180 which isn't too bad. On the other hand there also seems to be some really good PS3 exclusives out like GT5 as well as the other console exclusives that I wouldn't mind playing like Fight night and red dead revolver. Would I be better off spending the extra couple of bucks on a PS3? With my gaming pc I'm just not so sure that I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

I haven't touched a nintendo game since Super Nintendo. After that it was either Playstation 1 or 2 games after that. Now it's XBOX 360 for me because everybody in this apartment complex has one with the occasion Playstation 3 user here and there. To be honest if you want maximum enjoyment from a console, get the console that your friends play. It makes it much more fun than not being able to play with them online.

Or if your friends don't play on console, do what your heart tells you. If you love nintendo games go for the wii. GT5 is amazing on a big screen TV. But I am not a huge racing fan. So that game was just a couple sitting here and there and I lost interest :)

I have a high end gaming PC + console. They can co exist. Not every one of your friends will like PC games just like not all your PC friends will like console games. I do have some AAA titles for my XBOX 360, but the majority of my games are xbox arcade games. Like Marvel vs Capcom 2 and teenage mutant ninja turtles etc etc etc.

If i had to choose just one...I'd do PS3, Xbox 360 is great but needs a yearly xbox live subscription to play online with friends. Wii has some fun games geared more for young kids.

I have all 3 systems and PS3 is the one that gets more playing time overall.

Back