Im burned out...

Well, Im 63 and Ive quit gaming several times. Picked up synthesizers and keyboards.. photography, and dont laugh too hard baking bread.

It happens to everyone.

I can't help myself! :D

tliid_158_tobin_RBG.jpg

It's the current state of the world and gaming in general, with your age being the icing on the cake. In my opinion (and I'll probably take heat for this) gaming just isn't exciting anymore. You got Carmack working at Oculus VR, Unreal Tournament being released as a free deal (even though it's pretty good and continues to get better, and is something different than COD!). Basically alot of the stuff currently is either reboots or just more of the same. We're in a stagnant quagmire of focus on graphics and effects. Every game has the same effect and look lately. I think a big part of it though is getting older. When you're hitting 30 or close t to it, games just don't excite as much. It's just part of the phase of getting older. Most guys started to or start getting into cars and other hobbies. Moderation is actually better, makes you appreciate the games more imo at this age. Oculus is something new....something fresh, technology will continue to improve. We just need some exciting hardware and gaming to come along, and something that really needs that hardware.

Even hardware lately has been stagnant. Alot of people still on 2500/2600K's remember that.

<<<31.

Me three!

Getting my C64 was a dream come true back in the day. Getting an Amiga 500 then later a 4000 with my own money was the continuation of that dream. Wish I hadn't given them away years ago.

Psygnosis had some of the absolute best game music back then and some of the best visuals at the time. And of course, I lived and played through the Lemmings craze when it hit until it faded.

I still run emulators to play games from those days pretty often though. Even have a C64 emulator on my phone for those long days at work, just to mess with. :D

:D Me too. I've got VICE on just about every electronic device I own. Also SID Tune players and the High Voltage SID Collection. I could listen to 64 music non-stop for the rest of my life. :cool:

It's the current state of the world and gaming in general, with your age being the icing on the cake. In my opinion (and I'll probably take heat for this) gaming just isn't exciting anymore. You got Carmack working at Oculus VR, Unreal Tournament being released as a free deal (even though it's pretty good and continues to get better, and is something different than COD!). Basically alot of the stuff currently is either reboots or just more of the same. We're in a stagnant quagmire of focus on graphics and effects. Every game has the same effect and look lately. I think a big part of it though is getting older. When you're hitting 30 or close t to it, games just don't excite as much. It's just part of the phase of getting older. Most guys started to or start getting into cars and other hobbies. Moderation is actually better, makes you appreciate the games more imo at this age. Oculus is something new....something fresh, technology will continue to improve. We just need some exciting hardware and gaming to come along, and something that really needs that hardware.

Even hardware lately has been stagnant. Alot of people still on 2500/2600K's remember that.

<<<31.

Real true. Something is almost wrong when you have a 4-5 year old setup and it runs new games without any issue. I'm not complaining in the sense that my weak bank account is OK with it. But on the other hand, there isn't anything that is really driving the hardware market. Yeah, GFX cards keep getting slightly better each gen, but again the 980 isn't some quantum leap over my R290. I'd love for there to be a $250-$300 price point on a card that is 50-75% better than what I have now.. but there simply isn't.

This is good though, we can focus on other things for a little while until gaming draws us back in and destroys our lives. ;)

26 here. Focusing on new job and living alone now takes up a lot of time. If I have free time it's like 2-3 hours of GTA5 before I have to go to sleep. Sometimes I'm not even focused on it when I'm playing it, which is a bit of a shame, since the story line is the winning key of it.

Yes you make good points as well. However it may be slowly turning in our favor again, though it will probably never be the glory days ever again just based on how time passes and you can never fully recreate the past. We have Doom being unveiled soon, the new unreal tournament isnt bad at all, etc. So maybe we will get at least some quality reboots. But without Carmack I just don't see how it can be anything special....unless he put some work into it before leaving for Oculus.

Deep down though... I know the exciting, glory days of my past will never be recreated.

Yes you make good points as well. However it may be slowly turning in our favor again, though it will probably never be the glory days ever again just based on how time passes and you can never fully recreate the past. We have Doom being unveiled soon, the new unreal tournament isnt bad at all, etc. So maybe we will get at least some quality reboots. But without Carmack I just don't see how it can be anything special....unless he put some work into it before leaving for Oculus.

Deep down though... I know the exciting, glory days of my past will never be recreated.

I still really enjoy playing my old favorite games, typically more-so than good newer games. (not always, but more than not) However, they do seem to lose a very thin layer of shiny nostalgia as the years go on. The ones that still do the trick for me every time though are System Shock 1 and 2. (and to a slightly lesser degree Doom 3, Quake 3 Arena) I still have a lot of fun when I waltz through ChronoTrigger, the mid to late Ultima series, Syndicate, Star Control 2 etc. Overall though, I'd agree. Things will never quite be the same as when all of these were completely new experiences. Many of them still do the trick very nicely though.

There have been a few new(er) games though that have brought back some of the old feel for me lately though. Alien: Isolation is a big one.

I'm 34 and burned out as well. I've been burned out on console gaming since the Dreamcast. Now PC gaming. Bought a Wii U for my son and I to play but neither one of us have the will to use it beyond a couple of Mario Kart matches here and there. I think it's a sign to go get a life, which I will gladly be doing this summer.

I still really enjoy playing my old favorite games, typically more-so than good newer games. (not always, but more than not) However, they do seem to lose a very thin layer of shiny nostalgia as the years go on. The ones that still do the trick for me every time though are System Shock 1 and 2. (and to a slightly lesser degree Doom 3, Quake 3 Arena) I still have a lot of fun when I waltz through ChronoTrigger, the mid to late Ultima series, Syndicate, Star Control 2 etc. Overall though, I'd agree. Things will never quite be the same as when all of these were completely new experiences. Many of them still do the trick very nicely though.

There have been a few new(er) games though that have brought back some of the old feel for me lately though. Alien: Isolation is a big one.

Yep definitely. I still prefer Quake 4 (personal favorite), Q3Arena over the new UT for example.

I'm 34 and burned out as well. I've been burned out on console gaming since the Dreamcast. Now PC gaming. Bought a Wii U for my son and I to play but neither one of us have the will to use it beyond a couple of Mario Kart matches here and there. I think it's a sign to go get a life, which I will gladly be doing this summer.

Console gaming started dying AFTER Dreamcast's death imho. Xbox 1 was alright, Xbox 360 was something different, the new consoles just have zero appeal imo..

That's important I think. Do something else that you enjoy, and don't try to force gaming in. That way, when you actually feel like playing a game, you'll know what you're in the mood to play, and you'll actually enjoy it. It becomes more of a diversion, something you can lose yourself in for a bit if it doesn't feel like work.

Between wife, kids, day-job, side-job-hobby, house/yard, outdoor type things, I don't really play games anywhere near what I once did. However, I get an occasional urge to play, and it's much easier for me to decide what. Then I usually get pulled right into it, enjoy it, then go back to everything else.

I've been in the position where I felt like I had to play them because I bought or collected them. I'd sit for 20 minutes just looking through all of my options, then say fuck it, get up and do something else entirely. It shouldn't feel like that. That's work. Now I just wait until it hits me, play the hell out of something, and call it good for a while.

Yep definitely. I still prefer Quake 4 (personal favorite), Q3Arena over the new UT for example.

I love Quake 4 single player. I prefer it after you get strogged up though, as the pace picks up more to what one would expect from a Quake game. Before that the movement is a little slower than I'd like. When I can get a couple of my kids to play with me, I really like MP for it too. It's Q3A(ish) but with a little extra visual pizazz. :D I've always preferred the gritty style of Quake over UT too. I really enjoyed the original Unreal, and played a lot of the first UT, but the id games grab me much more.

There's a link between play and learning in the brain. I find that I 'burn out' on games if I'm not working on learning something.

Back in the hell hole again :/

WOW vanila lags and seems unstable due to many players...keep getting disconnected..a shame..its a good game..i hope they get better hardware to handle the players.

The witcher 3 dident pull any pulse..i dont like the stearing..for me it feels like i was moving stiff around and fighting with random moves and botton clicking..i could just close my eyes and press random keys and win and the story was zzzzzz

I recently bought BF4 hardline but that also turn out to be a huge waste of time and money..very confusing and messy created game..no clue what was going on and why. Random bullet killet me over and over until i entered a hacker mode that made no sence....i think i managed to kill somone and get some in game money...

So if anyone need BF¤ hardline im willing to trade it for another game...

Game Over

did a mgt draft friday, came out in 2nd place. havent played in 9 years. made a big mistake by knocking out something early....did a 2nd draft the following day, damn kids knocked me out...its ok, i got my revenge on him.

I have a feeling it's not really the game that sucks most of the time. It's really the player of the game that sucks so if you are not feeling the game basically it's you and not really the sub par quality of the game. I don't even game every day. I game on the weekend even the latest and greatest games don't hold my attention because I seen it before.

Really looking forward to Fallout 4 though that basically was the last best single player game I played that really hooked me besides Dark Souls.

You can't just sit in front of a PC waiting for things to happen you need to take a break maybe do something out of routine read a book or take a Brisk walk to get your blood flowing. Or take up a different hobby. The videogames will be around forever while you are just here for a short duration on earth.

Better graphics are all subjective doesn't mean a thing if it's more realistic or takes you in. Graphics from 2008 might look better then current gen cause it's easier on the eyes.
Look how WOW faired over the years people still dig that game.

I'm 40, and in the same boat... I use TF2 as an old "trusty", but the clan I was with somehow fell apart in the 3 month reprieve... Not sure if I want to invest the degree of time to get into another "mature" clan..

I just d/l Crysis 2 ME, FC3, and Wolfenstein... I'll give those a run in the next few weeks.

Getting more involved in WoT, but I'm at the point I need to get involved in a decent clan vs. free-balling pubbing it.

now that I'm older the only things that kind of draw me in anymore are bigger open world games like FO3,skyrim, even farcry 3/4.

that I and I got into WoT and MWO

I will also add this to the discussion, cause it is true.

"Variety's the very spice of life,
That gives it all its flavour."

-William Cowper

Meh, I ended up picking up DotA2 because everyone at work plays it, otherwise I wouldn't bother with gaming much now other than CS:GO.

I was pretty burned out too and then the witcher 3 came out and restored some faith in the gaming industry.

I did find some games that i found one interest in. SWTOR again, GC3, WOWS, Thunder, MTG.

I'm pretty excited about the newest Wolfenstein game (The Old Blood), Arkham Knight and the upcoming Deus Ex game.

I also like to mix it up. I went through phases where I'd only play strategy games or FPS, etc. Now I've picked up several side scrolling games such as Deadlight, Mark of the Ninja, etc. that are really enjoyable. Gone Home was relaxing and thought provoking. The Stanley Parable. The Walking Dead by Telltale. Life is Strange. Ori and the Blind Forest. All great games, and not your usual fodder.

Others, like Salt and Grow Home bring something fun and different besides the typical blah shoot guns and cast spells and fight that can be wearisome.

Heh, I turn 42 and still game though less this year as I have a nine month old baby :) I play BF4 when I can and only play single player games that I'm truly interested in as my time is limited.

I've fired up a vanilla WOW server.. I've never played before so I won't be power leveling.. just experiencing the game in a much more organic nature.

I was pretty burned out too and then the witcher 3 came out and restored some faith in the gaming industry.

^ This :)

Course, now that I've completed the game I'm not to sure if I should replay it or wait a year or so for Redkit+mods and DLC. I don't want to burn myself out on the core game before the goodies are out.

I'm pretty excited about the newest Wolfenstein game (The Old Blood), Arkham Knight and the upcoming Deus Ex game.

I also like to mix it up. I went through phases where I'd only play strategy games or FPS, etc. Now I've picked up several side scrolling games such as Deadlight, Mark of the Ninja, etc. that are really enjoyable. Gone Home was relaxing and thought provoking. The Stanley Parable. The Walking Dead by Telltale. Life is Strange. Ori and the Blind Forest. All great games, and not your usual fodder.

Others, like Salt and Grow Home bring something fun and different besides the typical blah shoot guns and cast spells and fight that can be wearisome.

Seems we have some parallels. Enjoying the hell out of The Old Blood right now. I think I'm half-way through it and having a blast. I also love side-scrollers. I just finished Axiom Verge a couple of weeks ago. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Shovel Knight too if you haven't played it.

Seems we have some parallels. Enjoying the hell out of The Old Blood right now. I think I'm half-way through it and having a blast. I also love side-scrollers. I just finished Axiom Verge a couple of weeks ago. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Shovel Knight too if you haven't played it.

I'll check those out. :) Thanks!

I was burned out, couldn't even turn on the computer, i was done with gaming. Even with games i loved to play it felt like a freaking chore. Then i took 5-6 months off, didn't play at all, and lo and behold, now i have a desire to play again whenever i can find the time. Weird how that works.

Back