- Joined
- May 7, 2007
- Messages
- 13,443
Well, Im 63 and Ive quit gaming several times. Picked up synthesizers and keyboards.. photography, and dont laugh too hard baking bread.
It happens to everyone.
I can't help myself!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Well, Im 63 and Ive quit gaming several times. Picked up synthesizers and keyboards.. photography, and dont laugh too hard baking bread.
It happens to everyone.
Me three!
Getting my C64 was a dream come true back in the day. Getting an Amiga 500 then later a 4000 with my own money was the continuation of that dream. Wish I hadn't given them away years ago.
Psygnosis had some of the absolute best game music back then and some of the best visuals at the time. And of course, I lived and played through the Lemmings craze when it hit until it faded.
I still run emulators to play games from those days pretty often though. Even have a C64 emulator on my phone for those long days at work, just to mess with.![]()
It's the current state of the world and gaming in general, with your age being the icing on the cake. In my opinion (and I'll probably take heat for this) gaming just isn't exciting anymore. You got Carmack working at Oculus VR, Unreal Tournament being released as a free deal (even though it's pretty good and continues to get better, and is something different than COD!). Basically alot of the stuff currently is either reboots or just more of the same. We're in a stagnant quagmire of focus on graphics and effects. Every game has the same effect and look lately. I think a big part of it though is getting older. When you're hitting 30 or close t to it, games just don't excite as much. It's just part of the phase of getting older. Most guys started to or start getting into cars and other hobbies. Moderation is actually better, makes you appreciate the games more imo at this age. Oculus is something new....something fresh, technology will continue to improve. We just need some exciting hardware and gaming to come along, and something that really needs that hardware.
Even hardware lately has been stagnant. Alot of people still on 2500/2600K's remember that.
<<<31.
Yes you make good points as well. However it may be slowly turning in our favor again, though it will probably never be the glory days ever again just based on how time passes and you can never fully recreate the past. We have Doom being unveiled soon, the new unreal tournament isnt bad at all, etc. So maybe we will get at least some quality reboots. But without Carmack I just don't see how it can be anything special....unless he put some work into it before leaving for Oculus.
Deep down though... I know the exciting, glory days of my past will never be recreated.
I still really enjoy playing my old favorite games, typically more-so than good newer games. (not always, but more than not) However, they do seem to lose a very thin layer of shiny nostalgia as the years go on. The ones that still do the trick for me every time though are System Shock 1 and 2. (and to a slightly lesser degree Doom 3, Quake 3 Arena) I still have a lot of fun when I waltz through ChronoTrigger, the mid to late Ultima series, Syndicate, Star Control 2 etc. Overall though, I'd agree. Things will never quite be the same as when all of these were completely new experiences. Many of them still do the trick very nicely though.
There have been a few new(er) games though that have brought back some of the old feel for me lately though. Alien: Isolation is a big one.
I'm 34 and burned out as well. I've been burned out on console gaming since the Dreamcast. Now PC gaming. Bought a Wii U for my son and I to play but neither one of us have the will to use it beyond a couple of Mario Kart matches here and there. I think it's a sign to go get a life, which I will gladly be doing this summer.
I'm 34 and burned out as well. I've been burned out on console gaming since the Dreamcast. Now PC gaming. Bought a Wii U for my son and I to play but neither one of us have the will to use it beyond a couple of Mario Kart matches here and there. I think it's a sign to go get a life, which I will gladly be doing this summer.
Yep definitely. I still prefer Quake 4 (personal favorite), Q3Arena over the new UT for example.
I was pretty burned out too and then the witcher 3 came out and restored some faith in the gaming industry.
I'm pretty excited about the newest Wolfenstein game (The Old Blood), Arkham Knight and the upcoming Deus Ex game.
I also like to mix it up. I went through phases where I'd only play strategy games or FPS, etc. Now I've picked up several side scrolling games such as Deadlight, Mark of the Ninja, etc. that are really enjoyable. Gone Home was relaxing and thought provoking. The Stanley Parable. The Walking Dead by Telltale. Life is Strange. Ori and the Blind Forest. All great games, and not your usual fodder.
Others, like Salt and Grow Home bring something fun and different besides the typical blah shoot guns and cast spells and fight that can be wearisome.
Seems we have some parallels. Enjoying the hell out of The Old Blood right now. I think I'm half-way through it and having a blast. I also love side-scrollers. I just finished Axiom Verge a couple of weeks ago. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Shovel Knight too if you haven't played it.