I'm back, what's up?

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
Ok, after 3 weeks in the field I'm back. My rigs were running fine but it seems about 6 days ago or so I had a storm and it knocked my stuff offline. Besides that, nothing too new on my end, except I got my SR2 in, hope to have that built late this week, just waiting on my ram.

Won't have much time to redo rigs as I have a deployement party on Friday and have lots to do by then, but hopefully I'll get back to regular pridction here soon, another 45k the horde could use back

what have I missed?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Nothings changed in 3 weeks? Come on, this is folding, 3 weeks is 2 lifetimes and a day!

Hey Vaulter, :)

Glad to see you are back! It has been eerily quiet here, more so than in quite some time. Summer is usually slow but this is unusual. One of the biggest topics being discussed the past week or two has been the P2684 WUs and -bigadv in general. Many people are wondering if it's even worth continuing to run -bigadv because of the instability. PPD is generally down for a lot of people. :(

Yeah, I thought I'd be cute and try to increase my ppd a little by setting up smp on a tri core x3 425. As a reward for my efforts, both my borged 9600gso and 9800gt threw up mdrun_gpu 5 times in a row after finishing a unit and are now in EUE hell for 24 hours. So I took out 8000ppd to gain 2000ppd. :(

Can't forget about the time Stanford ran out of SMP work units and most people had their machines sitting idle except for -bigadv and GPUs.

My 8800GT died and after baking it today it seems to be back up and running for the moment.

PPD is generally down for a lot of people. :(

QFT

PG is really sending out some huge WUs that drag down PPD to ridiculous levels.

I keep getting A2's on 1 VM so that's been left running however the other VM keeps finishing and getting more A3's so (in the attempt of not being strung along on PG's whims with these temperamental 2684 WU's) I have shut that one down for good or at least for now. These A3 -bigadv/2684's are PPD killers man.

I know it ain't all about the points and stuff but when people put together boxen with their money out of pocket to crunch WUs to fold for the cause and PG keeps putting up larger and more demanding WUs, it's really disappointing and disheartening. Where's the incentive? 2684 points are slightly higher than A2 bigadv pts but the TPF and ETA times just suck the life out of your equipment. It's on the edge of a point of "not worth it", and they're taking their sweet ass time with the SMP2 -bigadv on top of it. :( I hate to say it but kinda agree with this guy. :eek:

Last edited:
Can't forget about the time Stanford ran out of SMP work units and most people had their machines sitting idle except for -bigadv and GPUs.

My 8800GT died and after baking it today it seems to be back up and running for the moment.

Bake it for the Win!, Welcome back vaulter, not too much happening, though your added ppd will help much, EVGA's overtake has dropped to 3.9 months again.
Oh yeah the SMP WU problem. Couple new folders, new giveaway Fun Fun Fun :p

I know it ain't all about the points and stuff but when people put together boxen with their money out of pocket to crunch WUs to fold for the cause and PG keeps putting up larger and more demanding WUs, it's really disappointing and disheartening. Where's the incentive?
I have half the -bigadv clients I was running a few weeks ago. I know where you're coming from, this controversy has been ongoing for years. We lost a few team members in the past because of this and other issues. In the end, PG is receiving thousands of free computers around the world that in aggregate compose the largest supercomputer in history. They have their way of doing things and they believe it's the right way. I doubt they will change their methodology. It would take a massive withdrawal to accomplish that, if even that will.

Wow, seems like things took a shit when I left lol

Well, I'm sick as he'll now and I have a lot to do for this party, but hopefully I can be back up and runing soon at full blast, and then Get skynet back online :)

are they still doing the old bigadv units? I was really looking forward to knocking some out with 16 OC'd cores lol

are they still doing the old bigadv units? I was really looking forward to knocking some out with 16 OC'd cores lol
Yes, and I would say they are in the majority now from what I've seen my systems have been receiving in the past week. If you do get a 2684, be careful not to stop the client. If you're running a VM, suspend it instead, otherwise you'll have a high chance the WU will crash and they take a lot longer than the A2s to complete.

I havnt stopped my client in months lol, the joys of set it and forget in my rack lol

Welcome back Vaulter....Most of my stuff is shut down right now because I'm out of town for a bit. Posting this from New Mexico, in fact, and headed to Arizona today! :D

Glad you're back, and hope to see more of you around...GL with that SR2 build.

Welcome back albeit for a short time (your time away from home is starting to look like mine).

Right when i think I am going to catch back up to you; you go and get an SR-2:eek:

You get lucky or you don't.
Case in point - both VM's finishing a single 2684.
i7-1 finishes, grabs an A2. Finishes, gets another A2. Finishes, gets another A2. Rinse and repeat.
i7-2 finishes, grabs an A3 (2684). Finishes, gets another A3. Finishes, gets another A3. etc.

No matter what I try (and I hate to say that includes sabotage :D), my second i7 will not grab an A2. I shut down the VM on it and went back to SMP2. I might, one of these days, run -oneunit, fire up the VM again and see if it grabs an A2...as of right now, that's not the plan though. To quote another [H] member, "when did I sign up to be a beta tester?". :( :rolleyes:

I hate to be that way/this way, but yeah....I don't like these A3's. I will gladly crunch them in Windows when they are available, because those will likely be 1000x more stable than they are in *nix. As of right now though, I'm somewhat putting my foot down as to what I will or will not let my machines crunch. The stability and lost work, I'm sorry, but it's a deal breaker for me. :eek: I don't like it when a WU takes 3.5 days to finish yet can flush at the drop of a hat (or in this case, the close of the client, that for any other WU is not a problem). If you get a 2684 and you need to shut it down for ANYTHING, I implore you to suspend the VM; don't try any other method because they don't work (not even with the new 2.22 core).

Welcome back Vaulter, can'tr wait to see some numbers from your SR-2 build:)

Back