I'll answer your questions about the DOMINATOR

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.
You guys might have seen this on the front page of [H]ardOCP but I figured since it's kind of new and weird you might have some questions.

Here's the link to our page:
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/dominator.html

Here's some images to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

DOMINATORside2.jpg

Module from the side.

dominator_airflow.gif

Here's how the heat goes up. You'll notice there are separate heatsinks for the PCB's ground plane and the ICs, each of which has fins.

DOMINATORcutaway2.jpg

That should answer a few more questions.

AirFlow_fan.jpg

This fan assembly contains 3 low RPM fans that push some airflow across the heatsinks. It's optional and you can use your existing airflow if you'd like.

DOMINATOR_TOPVIEW1.jpg

Lastly, here's the top view of the module.

I'm not a marketing guy so I won't sound as well-spoken or wordy as our press-release does, but I had some input into the creation and testing of this technology and if I don't know the answer I'll find it for you from one of our engineers.

Any questions?

Yeah

What the hell were you on when you designed this DOMINATING thing? :p

Seriously though, any numbers to support its usefulness?
Like...."naked" IC temp vs. DOMINATOR equipped IC temp?

The last article I read on the subject said that even OCZs "revolutionary" XTC cooling does little/nothing for RAM module cooling....and it's well known that most heatspreaders do little other than protect our modules and look cool.

Another question...how loud is the fan? Could it be used on non-DOMINATOR memory? (Or would that be DOMINATED memory?)

Yes are these the same memory that sir kyle used in overclocking his cpu which made a mock up of the leaderboard?

nice :D

i do hope you guys are using good thermal tape between the ic's and heatsinks ;)

and somehow this seems.. vaugely familar :p

what else will computer manufactures do to take money from the *rich spoiled kid* computer market?

mjz_5 said:
what else will computer manufactures do to take money from the *I have a decent paying job other than playing CS* computer market?
fixed

The questions are soo many that sir redbeard has packed his bags and gone

jebo_4jc said:
Yeah

What the hell were you on when you designed this DOMINATING thing? :p

Seriously though, any numbers to support its usefulness?
Like...."naked" IC temp vs. DOMINATOR equipped IC temp?

The last article I read on the subject said that even OCZs "revolutionary" XTC cooling does little/nothing for RAM module cooling....and it's well known that most heatspreaders do little other than protect our modules and look cool.

Another question...how loud is the fan? Could it be used on non-DOMINATOR memory? (Or would that be DOMINATED memory?)

In order:

1) What were we on? Mostly mescaline and peyote buttons. We like to keep to the naturally occurring drugs here at Corsair. Most of the time, the artificially created narcotics result in wicked recovery periods.

2) The numbers to support its usefulness will be published by reviewers and through our internal results which will come out over the next week or two. I don't want to spoil anything, but this is the best heat dissipation system ever created for memory. It's not going to allow you to overclock 800 MHz parts to 8000 MHz or anything, but it does make a difference, and it allows much more voltage to be pumped to the modules in a safe manner.

3) I'm not going to address our competitors' "designs" here. Sorry.

4) The fan is not very loud, the three fans spin at a fairly low RPM and in my TJ07 or P180, they are inaudible.

nooh said:
Yes are these the same memory that sir kyle used in overclocking his cpu which made a mock up of the leaderboard?

Can you provide a link to this? I'm not sure to what you are referring.

Tetrahedron said:
when will they be widely available?

Soon. Initial launch quantities are limited due to production ramping up, I expect within a month they'll be available pretty much everywhere.

(cf)Eclipse said:
nice :D

i do hope you guys are using good thermal tape between the ic's and heatsinks ;)

We're actually holding the heatsinks to the PCB with nothing but pure hope at this point.

Seriously though we've got a proprietary adhesive that I'd rather not talk about openly, but it does perform very well.

mjz_5 said:
what else will computer manufactures do to take money from the *rich spoiled kid* computer market?

We've got some great beachfront property in Colorado that we're looking to unload, feel free to email us. :)

jebo_4jc said:

Haha, thanks.

Redbeard said:
4) The fan is not very loud, the three fans spin at a fairly low RPM and in my TJ07 or P180, they are inaudible.
Cool...any chance of seeing this used on other memory? Or does it attach to the Dominator apparatus (for lack of a better word) in a proprietary way?

Redbeard said:
In order:

1) What were we on? Mostly mescaline and peyote buttons. We like to keep to the naturally occurring drugs here at Corsair. Most of the time, the artificially created narcotics result in wicked recovery periods.

The man knows how to party :cool:

That sentance alone makes me want to switch to Corsair :p

jebo_4jc said:
Cool...any chance of seeing this used on other memory? Or does it attach to the Dominator apparatus (for lack of a better word) in a proprietary way?
custom PCB, so you can't really just pop it off and stick it on other ram sticks very well :p

jebo_4jc said:

The fan doesn't attach directly to the modules but instead to the sockets of memory, so theoretically you could use the fan apparatus to cool other competitor's brands of memory, but I doubt it would do much good since our competitors have been known to sell memory modules made from pure evil.

Just saying.

Redbeard said:
... but I doubt it would do much good since our competitors have been known to sell memory modules made from pure evil.

Just saying.
:eek:
Are you saying pure evil is such a good thermal conduit that no fan is needed? Makes me glad I got some ocz at my last upgrade.
Just as a tip you might want to roll out a pure evil line of your own if it's that good :p

Redbeard said:
The fan doesn't attach directly to the modules but instead to the sockets of memory, so theoretically you could use the fan apparatus to cool other competitor's brands of memory, but I doubt it would do much good since our competitors have been known to sell memory modules made from pure evil.

Just saying.

lmfao.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i haven't seen any ddr2-666 modules though :(

OH STOP, you're killing me :D

nooh said:

No they are not.

nooh said:
Which leaderboard do you speak of? I only see his water cooled E6300 at about 4th or 5th place behind an air cooler...?

jebo_4jc said:
Which leaderboard do you speak of? I only see his water cooled E6300 at about 4th or 5th place behind an air cooler...?
No the time he did his overclock that time he was at the top.

There have been better overclock after that but also there have been more people who have a core 2 duo than before.

nooh said:
You can tell us now what they were Sir .

If they're what I think they are they still haven't been released. I don't think they were dominator-based though, just regular modules with intensely good speeds. (since a guy 5 feet from me screened ICs for a few weeks)

2 questions for you.

First, when corsair makes the leap to ddr3 will heatsinks such as those seen here start to become more standard attire on memory?

Second, if other companies are making memory from pure evil, what are you making yours out of? Puppies and sunshine? Is there a puppy and sunshine factory I should be aware of? Can I come visit?

I still haventrecieved the modules you sent , where are they?

dclam said:
2 questions for you.

First, when corsair makes the leap to ddr3 will heatsinks such as those seen here start to become more standard attire on memory?

Second, if other companies are making memory from pure evil, what are you making yours out of? Puppies and sunshine? Is there a puppy and sunshine factory I should be aware of? Can I come visit?

When the industry moves to DDR3 Corsair will no doubt be in the front of the pack with performance memory like we are with DDR2 right now. We'll address cooling solutions for DDR3 at that time, but initial impressions look like DDR3 is naturally less power hungry than DDR2, which makes sense since that's pretty much spec.

The important thing to remember for us is that allows us more overclocking potential. If DDR3 uses less power, we might be able to tweak it to perform even better with more power. I think DDR2 will top out at about 1200-1333 or so, DDR3 will take over at that point.

Second, the components used to construct our memory are a highly sought-after secret in the industry. I won't get into specifics, but let's just say that we buy a lot of sunglasses and puppy chow.

I do have a somewhat serious question. Considering this can reach speads of PC8888 at CAS4, what about at PC6400? Can it get down to CAS3 or CAS2.5?

nooh said:
I still haventrecieved the modules you sent , where are they?

Why don't you PM me if you have a problem with RMA, this probably isn't the appropriate place for it. Let me know the details in a PM and I'll get on it for you.

Thin Man said:
I do have a somewhat serious question. Considering this can reach speads of PC8888 at CAS4, what about at PC6400? Can it get down to CAS3 or CAS2.5?

All our 8888 modules should do CAS3 at 800 MHz or higher.

This probably falls into the "if you have to ask" category - but how much $ ?

[LYL]Homer said:
This probably falls into the "if you have to ask" category - but how much $ ?

The Dominator modules announced yesterday, the 8500C5 and the 8888C4, will sell for different prices.

The 8500C5 Dominator is only slightly more expensive than our standard 8500C5 part, since the added cost of the heatspreaders and PCB and labor is not that significant. Here are our regular 8500C5 modules on Newegg and I imagine that the Dominator will retail for a $10-20 premium over that part.

The 8888C4 part is a very tight binning process and thus even if they weren't Dominator-based the part would be very expensive. I imagine this part will initially retail for $600+ because of supply and demand issues. If we start getting more parts that pass at this latency/frequency combo the price will obviously come down.

We may have future products with the Dominator heatspreaders/PCB, and those will sell for a $10-$20 premium over the non-Dominator versions of the modules, I expect.

Redbeard said:
Why don't you PM me if you have a problem with RMA, this probably isn't the appropriate place for it. Let me know the details in a PM and I'll get on it for you.
on the case now, your so caring
:D

Redbeard said:
I'd be surprised if we see DDR2 selling at faster than 1333 before DDR3 comes out.
depends on how delayed ddr3 gets, but yeah, you're probably right. it's asking a bit too much to expect ddr2 to break 700mhz consistantly

btw, what's "Stock" voltage for the pc8888? those are some sweet sounding modules ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
depends on how delayed ddr3 gets, but yeah, you're probably right. it's asking a bit too much to expect ddr2 to break 700mhz consistantly

btw, what's "Stock" voltage for the pc8888? those are some sweet sounding modules ;)
Wish i could afford them
:(

(cf)Eclipse said:

2.4V, according to a thing I read on another forum.

Back