Ikea desk gallery

That looks really good. Do you mind telling how much that was? I've been thinking about going with a corner galant with extensions but I'm not sure I like how one side is bigger than the other and having just a long desk like your's might work out well too.

$190 For the Galant+extension. You can add another extension on the other side for another $35 if you want one straight super long desk(about 110 inches total)

Anyone find the SUMMERA CPU holder isn't flat when mounted? I can't get my Lian Li to sit perfectly on the shelf, seems like the holder is torqued at the corners so that two corners are higher than the other ones resulting in a case that rocks around.

Here's an update, changed from glass top Gallant to the Mikael.

Desk1.jpg

Desk2.jpg

DeskUnder.jpg

Anyone find the SUMMERA CPU holder isn't flat when mounted? I can't get my Lian Li to sit perfectly on the shelf, seems like the holder is torqued at the corners so that two corners are higher than the other ones resulting in a case that rocks around.

Mine is pretty stable, doesn't rock. It DOES lean in a bit at the bottom from the weight tho :eek:

Scored a nearly new Jerker in the light oak color, matching my existing one at a garage sale for $5!!!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the $5 sign on it...It was bolted together but I had it apart so fast the garage saler couldn't say it was a mistake lol

Now I just need to find 1 more for my future setup.

Scored a nearly new Jerker in the light oak color, matching my existing one at a garage sale for $5!!!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the $5 sign on it...It was bolted together but I had it apart so fast the garage saler couldn't say it was a mistake lol

Awesome! You got lucky.:cool:

I picked up a corner galant this week for $65 off craigslist will post picks when its setup this weekend. Super excited.

Finally picked up a Galant last weekend off craigslist. Has anyone added a slide out full size keyboard tray/drawer to theirs? It was my goal when I bought one and trying to figure out some ideas of how to attempt it. Figure I can use a shelf of whatever size I decide, add some slide rails, but then unsure of nicest way mount the support.

Waaaaaait, you stole my buy! j/k :D

Great find! Enjoy it in great health!;)

Now I need to find a Jerker Desk but not pay $150.00 for it. :)

raymour and flanigan

just using the standard u brackets in the front, under the desk.
i have the back hung up with binder clips on the back edge of the desk. you can sorta see it in the pic. this way, they are easily removable, and the whole cage swings down.
Did you get that piece at Ikea? I just got a Gallant desk (smaller size not the long one) and need a decent able management solution. I am wondering if this would work. Thanks!! I'll post pics of my setup later this weekend.

Haven't posted here in years, but just got myself a Galant (160x80cm) with T-legs & am hugely disappointed so was hoping somebody can help me! Even after tightening every single bolt to the brink of stripping the threads & making the surface perfectly level by adjusting the feet (I spent 15 minutes with a spirit level!) my Galant is incredibly wobbly - I'm talking about obvious wobble when just typing or writing normally!

I'm hoping that I can send it back, but I had it delivered & I don't know if I'll be able to return it without taking it to the store in person - I don't have a car! Waiting to hear back from them, hopefully tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, has anybody else experienced similar problems with T-legged Galants?

BMX0K.jpg

I have the L shaped Galant with two extensions, one on each side and the T legs, mine has always been on carpet but it is rock solid. So much that I have actually sat on it with no issues what so ever.

Could it be the feet on the bottom of the T legs need to be adjusted? Maybe something is slightly off level with your floor.

Other then that, the desk should be perfectly fine, sorry to hear your having problems.

Here's my new setup! Galant desk with A-Legs (I've read the T-leg are wobbly like the guy above experienced), plus Galant Half-Round w/Capita legs for eye level Monitor stand. And today I just redid my cable management with one Signum "basket" underneath! Pics below: :D

desk1.JPG

desk2.JPG

desk3.JPG

desk4.JPG

desk5.JPG

desk6.JPG

... got myself a Galant (160x80cm) with T-legs & am hugely disappointed so was hoping somebody can help me! Even after tightening every single bolt to the brink of stripping the threads & making the surface perfectly level by adjusting the feet (I spent 15 minutes with a spirit level!) my Galant is incredibly wobbly - I'm talking about obvious wobble when just typing or writing normally!

@ lost eden
Is it the desktop that wobbles (while feet stand planted) or the whole desk?
There's some possibility that the underframe is defective or got twisted in transit .. but I think it has to do with the floor not being level, so you might have to compromise the desktop being perfectly level for the whole desk "standing on all four"

As I said I've already addressed the feet adjustment, even going as far as using a spirit level to make sure that the desk is perfectly flat in every direction.

I think the issue is that there is no cross-bracing whatsoever, so any side-to-side motion ('rocking' as it were) just amplifies. I imagine that with an L shape the problem wouldn't exist because the curve naturally braces against side-to-side motion. If I gently nudge the desk in a front-to-back direction it feels pretty solid, but if I gently nudge one of the sides in a side-to-side motion is starts rocking like a pendulum.

I can get a set of A-legs delivered if they're substantially better, but I don't want to pay for that (the delivery is almost as much as the legs) unless I know it's going to fix the problem! Hopefully Ikea will get back to me tomorrow and tell me whether I can return it, because if so I think that's what I'm going to do.

Haven't posted here in years, but just got myself a Galant (160x80cm) with T-legs & am hugely disappointed so was hoping somebody can help me! Even after tightening every single bolt to the brink of stripping the threads & making the surface perfectly level by adjusting the feet (I spent 15 minutes with a spirit level!) my Galant is incredibly wobbly - I'm talking about obvious wobble when just typing or writing normally!

I'm hoping that I can send it back, but I had it delivered & I don't know if I'll be able to return it without taking it to the store in person - I don't have a car! Waiting to hear back from them, hopefully tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, has anybody else experienced similar problems with T-legged Galants?

http://i.imgur.com/BMX0K.jpg

Not a galant, but I installed the Ikea T-legs on a sturdy desktop (1.5" solid wood) and experienced the same thing. Maybe it was aggressive typing (I do have a mechanical keyboard), but it rocked back and forth noticeably when typing.

Is it possible to install a third leg in the center of the rear of the desk, and maybe put some weight on it so that it prevents rocking back and forth?

Not a galant, but I installed the Ikea T-legs on a sturdy desktop (1.5" solid wood) and experienced the same thing. Maybe it was aggressive typing (I do have a mechanical keyboard), but it rocked back and forth noticeably when typing.

Is it possible to install a third leg in the center of the rear of the desk, and maybe put some weight on it so that it prevents rocking back and forth?

I don't see why you couldn't add as many other legs as you like. Did you use the galant support frame to do install the T-legs?

Here's my new setup! Galant desk with A-Legs (I've read the T-leg are wobbly like the guy above experienced), plus Galant Half-Round w/Capita legs for eye level Monitor stand. And today I just redid my cable management with one Signum "basket" underneath! Pics below: :D

desk1.JPG

desk2.JPG

desk3.JPG

desk4.JPG

desk5.JPG

desk6.JPG

Saw this cable management basket and was thinking about getting it. Do you hit your knee on it tho? :p

Saw this cable management basket and was thinking about getting it. Do you hit your knee on it tho? :p
No because it's on the opposite end of the desk (far side) and it's so high up there is no way my knees would hit it anyway.

Cable management basket worked well for me. May not be the "cleanest" way to run wires, but it is the easiest and is still out of sight.

I see there are a ton of Galant owners in this thread! I recently purchased a right corner Galant with an extension to the left and 3 T legs. Today I adjusted the height on the desk and when taking measurements to make sure everything was perfect (I'm a little OCD regarding symmetry, anything more than a millimeter difference is too much :D) and while doing so I noticed that when measuring from the floor near each of the legs the height was exactly 27.5 inches. But when measuring around the middle it was about 0.25 inches lower, granted I do have 2 monitors and my tower on the actual desk but I didn't expect it to sag. Would appreciate feedback from fellow Galant corner desk owners regarding this because right now I'm worried I have a problem.

Last edited:
I see there are a ton of Galant owners in this thread! I recently purchased a right corner Galant with an extension to the left and 3 T legs. Today I adjusted the height on the desk and when taking measurements to make sure everything was perfect (I'm a little OCD regarding symmetry, anything more than a millimeter difference is too much :D) and while doing so I noticed that when measuring from the floor near each of the legs the height was exactly 27.5 inches. But when measuring around the middle it was about 0.25 inches lower, granted I do have 2 monitors and my tower on the actual desk but I didn't expect it to sag. Would appreciate feedback from fellow Galant corner desk owners regarding this because right now I'm worried I have a problem.

Mine was almost perfect once I evened out all the legs and is VERY stable. Is it on hardwood/title or rug? Remember that sometimes the floor itself can be uneven so that could also account for some differences.

The floor is Ceramic and I actually think there is a good chance its slightly uneven. The desk is quite solid I don't feel any wobbling or whatnot that was described by a few T leg owners in here and if I try to rock the desk it remains quite solid although my monitors shake a little on their stands. I suppose a quarter inch deviance isn't all that bad, right? I should mention that one of the legs also seems to be a shorter than the other 2 according to the numbering on the leg itself (2 are just a tad above 60, the third doesn't even show the 60 so its a little lower) but it doesn't seem to affect stability in any way. Honestly I'm mostly worried about the longevity of the desk, I don't want this to cause any long term damage or anything as I intend to keep it for a good few years.

The floor is Ceramic and I actually think there is a good chance its slightly uneven. The desk is quite solid I don't feel any wobbling or whatnot that was described by a few T leg owners in here and if I try to rock the desk it remains quite solid although my monitors shake a little on their stands. I suppose a quarter inch deviance isn't all that bad, right? I should mention that one of the legs also seems to be a shorter than the other 2 according to the numbering on the leg itself (2 are just a tad above 60, the third doesn't even show the 60 so its a little lower) but it doesn't seem to affect stability in any way. Honestly I'm mostly worried about the longevity of the desk, I don't want this to cause any long term damage or anything as I intend to keep it for a good few years.

Well I think a quarter inch is enough to see wobbling so it's probably much less than that especially since you say it's stable. I have mine at 50 and it's a good height for me. I started just above and screwed in tight so all my legs are right at or just below the 50 line. 60 to me was a bit high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the shorter leg is on the far corner side, as in the "main" body of the L part and the extension which are on 2 of the T legs are the same height basically and the far right 3rd leg is a little lower. Honestly the only way to really get them the exact same height would be to flip the desk over and adjust them without having any weight on them but that would be a HUGE hassle that I really don't want to have to do since the desk seems perfectly stable to me I cant even make it wobble or anything when I try to force it to. I just hope the slight inconsistency isn't putting additional, unneeded strain on the frame.

I have noticed the frame system on the Galants is not quite as "strong" as what was on my Effektiv desk, though its ok. The Galant's its all in that center 10" strip, the Effektiv desks it was all around the edge of the desk. It is a "discount" desk though, QC only goes so far. :)

This was the underside of an effektiv desk:
1_desk4.jpg

Made it a bit of a pain for LCD arm clamps.

I see Ikea is still asking for $350 shipping on a $150 desk (Galant). Does anyone actually do that? I get a little annoyed when Newegg wants $11 to ship a $2 item, but Ikea is in a class all its own.

Depending to where...It was closer to $50 for me, the order included two beds and bed frames wardrobes etc.

For those of you with the black/block-brown, do you find they get visibly dusty very quickly?

I'm looking to get an Ikea desk for my new apartment but I'm worried it's always going to look dirty if I get the black-brown. I have a birch colored desk currently but I find the black-brown looks a lot classier/baller.

I notice the dust on our black/brown effektiv shelf units after a couple of days, especially those in bright rooms. Not sure if the desks are the same tone, but I imagine the same thing would happen.

It's very dusty where I live and I can tell you dust is clearly visible on the black-brown desk and depending on how fast dust accumulates in your area you are probably going to notice it within anywhere from 1 day to 1 week, but it is VERY noticeable so if that's a deal breaker for you I'd stay away from black-brown.

Eh, I use a Swiffer Duster once a week on mine and I don't see visible dust on it (pics quoted in post at the top of the page). It is not that big of a deal unless you plan to never dust off your desk.

I guess I'll hold off and see how dusty the new apartment is. My current unit isn't great and my black-brown coffee/end tables get dusty pretty fast, I use a swiffer duster once a week but it's noticeable after a couple days.

PS what's the best legs to get? I don't mind paying extra for the T-leg but some people mentioned stability issues?

Last edited:
I guess I'll hold off and see how dusty the new apartment is. My current unit isn't great and my black-brown coffee/end tables get dusty pretty fast, I use a swiffer duster once a week but it's noticeable after a couple days.

PS what's the best legs to get? I don't mind paying extra for the T-leg but some people mentioned stability issues?

I'd get the A-legs. More stable.

I'd get the A-legs. More stable.

My Right corner Galant with Extensions on both sides as A legs... My Bro in Law loved the desk so much he went and got one too, but went with the T legs... His is no more wobbly or less stable than my A-legs.

Get whatever you want.

Back