Ikea desk gallery

Not sure but i think it makes the desk more solid. Not to wobble.
On the Frederik, have any of you guys removed that two panels that connect the two legs? I find that it makes getting to my plugs, the back of my computer, etc. a major pain. If they aren't really necessary for support or anything, I might take them out.

On the Frederik, have any of you guys removed that two panels that connect the two legs? I find that it makes getting to my plugs, the back of my computer, etc. a major pain. If they aren't really necessary for support or anything, I might take them out.

This guy does not have an issue (although he seems to have move the shelf below actual desktop): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038216525&postcount=59

There are Fredriks being sold w/o anything going above the desktop (different desktop attachment, but still): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80115988/

All-in-all, I'd say it should still be stable enough.

Last edited:
This guy does snot have an issue (although he seems to have move the shelf below actual desktop): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038216525&postcount=59

There are Frederiks being sold w/o anything going above the desktop (different desktop attachment, but still): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80115988/

All-in-all, I'd say it should still be stable enough.

He's talking about the two panels connecting the legs below the table surface-those are present in both the links you gave.

He's talking about the two panels connecting the legs below the table surface-those are present in both the links you gave.

I must have misunderstood then .. I believe that part is essential fro structural rigidity. The table will wobble without it (even in the presence of extra shelves)

im new to this forum and wow im liking those galant! So went to craigslist and got me one http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/fuo/2779748645.html I just neeed to find or buy at ikea an extension for both sides

heres my set up before
DSCN0230.jpg

might be better to look for other galants. often peole sell with attachment the price you pay for desk + attachments i s the same as the price of the attachments alone at ikea. so you can keep attachments and resell desk for probably sam eor close price:)

I bought my galant in GL, does it supposed to come with extra bars for the attackment/ or once you buy a galant attachment it will come with it? thanks

Extension frame is sold independently and typically one would buy it at the same time desktop extension is bought.

Now got my second one from GL and now i want to combine both but problem now is i dont have the 2 black peace that you screw in and dont have the 2 bard aswell.... anyone know wer i can those? Look at ikea and didnt find any.

I just installed an extension for my Galant, but because I didn't feel like clearing my desk, flipping it over, and dismantling it like the directions show, I just did it without moving the legs underneath the extension. It still seems like it will support quite a lot of weight. I plan on putting my Corsair 650D on top of it, or possibly half on the main desk and half on the extension. Am I asking for trouble?

12933533_16700573_trimmed.jpg

If your Corsair 650D sits over the seam -- that's not an issue. The issue might arise when someone heavy enough leans/sits on the very edge of the extension (not only your 650D might tip, but it might be possible to bend the frame that way too)

If your Corsair 650D sits over the seam -- that's not an issue. The issue might arise when someone heavy enough leans/sits on the very edge of the extension (not only your 650D might tip, but it might be possible to bend the frame that way too)

I doubt anyone would sit on it being that I'm the only one that's ever in the room. That said, are you saying it's ok to place the 650D completely on the extension, or ONLY on the seam?

Last edited:
Well, the pieces that join the two frames are square cross-section steel "pipes", so they should hold some weight .. but I'd first experiment with an object less expensive than 650D full of high end computer components ;) .. and my first choice would still be to do it the way instructions call for.

Does anyone have or know where I can find a picture of the Vika Amon in white with two Vika Annefors in black? I want to put my black case in one of the Annefors to create a subtle look. I just wonder if the white on top of the black would look completely weird.

I just installed an extension for my Galant, but because I didn't feel like clearing my desk, flipping it over, and dismantling it like the directions show, I just did it without moving the legs underneath the extension. It still seems like it will support quite a lot of weight. I plan on putting my Corsair 650D on top of it, or possibly half on the main desk and half on the extension. Am I asking for trouble?

12933533_16700573_trimmed.jpg

I'd spend the extra time to put the leg correctly under that extension. I have the same exact piece with an 800d sitting on it nice and stable. If anything, it will give piece of mind.

Ikea Fredrik with some Ikea LED 7-color lamps mounted under each shelf, and an Ikea desk lamp.

Where did you get the Swan M50s from?! And how do they sound?

Got them from audioinsider, and they sound fantastic. They have a warm, euphonic sound signature with very crisp (but never sibilant) highs. The monitors are quite detailed considering the driver size/enclosure size, but they're not as spacious sounding as bookshelves with larger drivers in this price range (but those don't include a sub). The sub is very tight and musical, and handles all styles of music very well. It also provides plenty of impact in movies and games, but it excels with music and has excellent synergy with the monitors (the transition from sub to monitors is completely transparent).

You'd be hard pressed to find a better 2.1 setup for under $300, whether it's a setup that's packaged together or separate monitors+sub+amp. FWIW, I get more enjoyment out of the Swans than I do out of my headphones ;) Also bear in mind that I'm using a Xonar STX as a source. When I was using realtek onboard sound for a short period of time, I found the Swans to sound congested and somewhat honky (almost returned them, in fact). Having a good source makes a big difference with these speakers!

Bought them over a year apart, and they didn't have a matching desk for the bookcase.

Hmm .. Most Fredriks I've seen were actually black-brown ... but I hear you -- sometimes I drive to IKEA (takes an hour) only to find they don't have a specific color of a certain part .. and the choice of settling for something different or having to come another time becomes tough (I usually choose the latter though)

Got them from audioinsider, and they sound fantastic. They have a warm, euphonic sound signature with very crisp (but never sibilant) highs. The monitors are quite detailed considering the driver size/enclosure size, but they're not as spacious sounding as bookshelves with larger drivers in this price range (but those don't include a sub). The sub is very tight and musical, and handles all styles of music very well. It also provides plenty of impact in movies and games, but it excels with music and has excellent synergy with the monitors (the transition from sub to monitors is completely transparent).

You'd be hard pressed to find a better 2.1 setup for under $300, whether it's a setup that's packaged together or separate monitors+sub+amp. FWIW, I get more enjoyment out of the Swans than I do out of my headphones ;) Also bear in mind that I'm using a Xonar STX as a source. When I was using realtek onboard sound for a short period of time, I found the Swans to sound congested and somewhat honky (almost returned them, in fact). Having a good source makes a big difference with these speakers!
Wow thank you! I have been looking at these for a really long time and really want there. Then I just saw they made m10s in black. :( URGGG

Bought me this extension and its a bit too long so my plan is too cut it to 22" insted of 31 1/2" Is it safe to do that or any tips should i know.. thanks

Has anyone ordered these desks online from IKEA? I don't have an IKEA store nearby, but I would really like a Fredrik. The problem I'm having is that the desk is $149 and the estimated shipping is $349 to Kansas.

Has anyone ordered these desks online from IKEA? I don't have an IKEA store nearby, but I would really like a Fredrik. The problem I'm having is that the desk is $149 and the estimated shipping is $349 to Kansas.

Build your own for that price. Custome design it in sketchup or 3ds max and source the materials from home depot and then hire a carpenter to assemble it.

I just picked up a white gallant with extension for $90 yesterday. Used but no significant cosmetic damage. Can't wait to get it set up.

An old Galant that I bought at an IKEA in Malaysia in '98. It has a different style of connecting the individual pieces and T-legs than the current version.
80d842d4.jpg

Here are a few underneath shots. I was wanting to get the Summera computer holder in order to get the rig off the top of the desk, but I'm not sure how it will work out.
ad746671.jpg

343768a1.jpg

85b04ec0.jpg

0b5b49a4.jpg

Anyone have a picture of a Dell U2711 on a Galant table? Just wondering how it would look like when I move to that setup in the future.

An old Galant that I bought at an IKEA in Malaysia in '98. It has a different style of connecting the individual pieces and T-legs than the current version.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/jgreen16/80d842d4.jpg
Just saw that in a 2012 workstation thread and was like "Umm ... it's a Galant .. but not quite" ... The corner piece looks a little more symmetric than current US Galant -- do both left and right sides have the same depth (a.k.a. width)?

Back