Ikea desk gallery

Thanks - was going to order it right from their website at $99.99 - but a quick google showed it was $59.99 at the Office Depot down the street from me. I just went down there and picked up two of them in the Brush Nickel finish . . . I think the silver finish would fit my decor better but the nickel's pretty nice. Thx for the info!

Quick (I hope) ergonomic question...I've found a used Fredrik workstation setup, the bigger one with two shelves, for $65 locally. I think I'm going to pull the trigger, but: will I have any problems mounting an Apple 30" monitor on a swivel arm (specifically the Sanus MD115) under the lower of the two shelves?

Quick (I hope) ergonomic question...I've found a used Fredrik workstation setup, the bigger one with two shelves, for $65 locally. I think I'm going to pull the trigger, but: will I have any problems mounting an Apple 30" monitor on a swivel arm (specifically the Sanus MD115) under the lower of the two shelves?

I think the only problem you may run into is the arm stand hitting the lower shelf. From what I gather, you'll mount the arm to the table top, have the lower shelf slightly above the table top, then the monitor will "hover" above the lower shelf, and you'll have the top shelf above the monitor.
If you look at this picture from the assembly instructions Fredrik Assembly Page 3, it looks like there might be an inch or more difference from the back of the shelf to the back of the table top. If you already have the mount, I'd bring it with you when you look at the desk to see if it hits the shelf or not.

And Fredrik is go (damn wonky camera):

fredrik1.jpg

Hidden behind that I-Inc 28" monitor is the Sanus MD115, but I need to go find a piece of wood or something to get it stable enough--I hope--for the Apple 30". (EDIT: supposedly this got edited down to 1024x768...)

You guys are evil.... reading this thread made me went to check out the Embody chair with Her Majesty. At the end, we bought 2 Embody chairs!!!!

You guys are evil.... reading this thread made me went to check out the Embody chair with Her Majesty. At the end, we bought 2 Embody chairs!!!!

Ouch. That's an expensive day. Where did you see/get the chairs at and did you get a "good" deal?

Well, actually my shoulder and wrist hurt quite badly from sitting in front of the computer for too long. Was hoping to buy a better chair and adjust my sitting position.

No special deal or anything. Just hurt wallet big time but hoping that this is money invested to prevent bad things from happening in the future. Kinda like - pay now instead of paying for physiotherapy later... ;)

Well, actually my shoulder and wrist hurt quite badly from sitting in front of the computer for too long. Was hoping to buy a better chair and adjust my sitting position.

No special deal or anything. Just hurt wallet big time but hoping that this is money invested to prevent bad things from happening in the future. Kinda like - pay now instead of paying for physiotherapy later... ;)

That's how I'm going to justify the cost too :)

I do spend most of my awake hours in a chair in front of my computer so I think it's a good investment for all the time I put in there. As soon as the bing.com promo comes back for ebay, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. There's some good pricing on fleabay for these chairs.

That's how I'm going to justify the cost too :)

I do spend most of my awake hours in a chair in front of my computer so I think it's a good investment for all the time I put in there. As soon as the bing.com promo comes back for ebay, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. There's some good pricing on fleabay for these chairs.

get me an embody chair, too, while you're at it :p.

I've been debating getting one, but I just can't justify spending so much on a chair I've never tried. And I don't know of a furniture shop where I could try it. I like my $200 ikea markus chair fine for now.

I've been debating getting one, but I just can't justify spending so much on a chair I've never tried. And I don't know of a furniture shop where I could try it. I like my $200 ikea markus chair fine for now.

S - there's supposed to be an HM showroom/store down here in SJ on Zanker (not far from the Brokaw Fry's). You can try one there. Ebay with bing cashback (whenever it's active again) can get the pricing down to $700 or $800.

Until then, I'm getting by with a $179.99 Costco special :)

I think it's a very elegant lamp that is exceptionally well made. So yes I like it a lot, even if it only serves as an ambient light source for me.

It is ~20.5" from the base to the top and ~24.75" for the lamp part, including the "handle". I have the light parallel to my desk, but you can adjust it up/down and swivel the lamp left/right.

Hope this helps.

Is the light output enough to serve well as biasing lighting, or do you wish it were a bit more?

Nice Paper Towel Roll! :p

What can I say, I dust compulsively.

Since you have a paper towel roll, I bet you "dust" a lot!

Fun with quotes from an IKEA employee.:D

Sorry... I could not help myself.

Is the light output enough to serve well as biasing lighting, or do you wish it were a bit more?

If I could direct the light against the wall instead of downward, it'd be a lot better, but it does a decent job. I'd like to upgrade to a set of the Dioders sometime in the future, or at least something to put under the bottom shelf.

Sure you do. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah, that's what the girlfriend's for ;)

The TV and TV stand both have a gloss-black finish, so I have to dust them every couple of days or they look incredibly unprofessional. I somewhat regret going with glossy finishes, which is why I decided on the black-brown GALANT. I have 2 other glass desks in the house, and as awesome as they look, the extra work is a burden. At least with wood, I can dust once a week.

S - there's supposed to be an HM showroom/store down here in SJ on Zanker (not far from the Brokaw Fry's). You can try one there. Ebay with bing cashback (whenever it's active again) can get the pricing down to $700 or $800.

Until then, I'm getting by with a $179.99 Costco special :)

Hey Sam,

I was out about to pick up an Aeron chair but I just wasn't all that impressed with it for the $500 asking price so I went over to Pivot Interiors on Zanker and tried the Embody chair . . . and WOW - it is in a league of its own!

The Aeron was "OK" but just didn't feel vastly superior to anything I'd ever sat in. The experience with the Embody is nothing like nothing I've felt before. It is BY FAR the most comfortable chair my butt's ever been on! It's a very, very plush feel (whereas the Aeron is firmer/harsher) and the construction is phenomenal. I knew from the second I sat on the Embody that it was the one I wanted. The Aeron isn't worth $500 to me but I'd be willing to pay $1100-$1200 for the Embody if that makes any sense.

I'm totally committed to getting this chair now . . . I just don't want to pay the $1600+ MSRP for the options I want :) As soon as I can find a "good" deal on one, I'm getting it! You should try one out - you'll love it. Pivot has other locations here:

http://www.pivotinteriors.com/locations.aspx

Where's the best place to pick up an L-Galant? Been hunting on craigslist but nothing around where I live.

Does anyone know if ikea still carries the MIKAEL? i cant find it on their site

I don't see it on Ikea USA's site. However, it appears they've introduced a new workspace line called "Micke". Also, the "Jonas" (I see they have it in dark brown now) is similar to the Mikael.

I don't see it on Ikea USA's site. However, it appears they've introduced a new workspace line called "Micke". Also, the "Jonas" (I see they have it in dark brown now) is similar to the Mikael.

Thanks, might pick up a Jonas if my buddie decides not to give me his Mikael.

What can I say, I dust compulsively. There's a HEPA filter under the desk (that green light over to the right) to make it easier.

Got any good filters you could recommend for a small to medium sized room? I absolutely hate dust and would do anything to help cut down the amount of time I spend dusting. Few downsides of owning a black furniture. :(

Similar to a [H] member's desk in the earlier posts...
Here's mine.
Now if only I can find something to hide the bundle of wires coming from the lights/wall shelf...

IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

Here's mine.
Now if only I can find something to hide the bundle of wires coming from the lights/wall shelf...

Cannot remember the exact name, maybe someone else knows but go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have plastic cable channels that you can fit your wires in to and just stick on the wall, then you can also paint them to blend in so it's not as noticeable on the wall.

Is the desk/shelf from IKEA? :)

Yep, everything was from Ikea :D

Cannot remember the exact name, maybe someone else knows but go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have plastic cable channels that you can fit your wires in to and just stick on the wall, then you can also paint them to blend in so it's not as noticeable on the wall.

Yeah I saw that at my local Lowes. I might try that. Thanks! :D

Here's mine.

Do you mind sharing what model of desk that is? I've been looking to get a desk with a raised monitor shelf like that for my office.

Do you mind sharing what model of desk that is? I've been looking to get a desk with a raised monitor shelf like that for my office.

I don't know about the desk, could be a GALANT. The shelf bit is a common hack that generally uses either an EKBY or LACK shelf with Capita legs. Since IKEA's funiture colors are essentially standardized, it matches. I want to make one myself.

Yeah It's a Galant desk of the 63" variety I'll just list my parts :)

Galant Table Top with Frame 63" - $140
Galant T Leg x2 - $30 Each
Galant Drawer - $45
Summera Drawer insert (not shown) - $5
Signum Cable management wire rack - $10
Summera Computer holder rack - $18
Lack wall shelf - $20

Ekby Jarpen (monitor shelf) - $15
Capita Legs 4" - $10
Erik Drawer Unit - $80
Dioder (led lights) - $40

Yeah It's a Galant desk of the 63" variety I'll just list my parts :)

Galant Table Top with Frame 63" - $140
Galant T Leg x2 - $30 Each
Galant Drawer - $45
Summera Drawer insert (not shown) - $5
Signum Cable management wire rack - $10
Summera Computer holder rack - $18
Lack wall shelf - $20

Ekby Jarpen (monitor shelf) - $15
Capita Legs 4" - $10
Erik Drawer Unit - $80
Dioder (led lights) - $40
The stuff's so much cheaper down there than it is in Canada. The legs are $16 for the 4 inch ones. I'm considering building one with the 6 inch legs. Too high? Also, do the legs include the mounting screws?

The stuff's so much cheaper down there than it is in Canada. The legs are $16 for the 4 inch ones. I'm considering building one with the 6 inch legs. Too high? Also, do the legs include the mounting screws?

For a while I was using the 4" legs with that type of top for my monitors so 6" might work for you or not, depending on if you have a monitor stand that is adjustable height.

As for the mounting screws, the legs do come with the screws and a plate that the legs actually screw in to stay attached.

Actually now I went and bought 8" legs so that I could take the shelf and place it over my networked Brother printer for storage of canned air and my blank cds/dvds.

For a while I was using the 4" legs with that type of top for my monitors so 6" might work for you or not, depending on if you have a monitor stand that is adjustable height.

As for the mounting screws, the legs do come with the screws and a plate that the legs actually screw in to stay attached.

Actually now I went and bought 8" legs so that I could take the shelf and place it over my networked Brother printer for storage of canned air and my blank cds/dvds.

How do you find the new version of the shelf? I currently do have a height adjustable stand but that will not probably be for much longer as I'm considering purchasing a Samsung P2370HD. Please let me know how you feel it is.

Back