Ikea desk gallery

I look thru this thread and it looks like everyone is using a sit-down desk setup.

Has anyone manage to build a stylish standing/stand-up desk from Ikea's parts? I was thinking about getting the Fredrik but it doesn't look so good in a standing setup from the pic I found online.

I'm on a computer for 12+ hours a day. No way am I going to stand the entire time.

I have actually worked as a line cook in a restaurant for 2 years, and i currently work at advanced auto parts where i dont get to sit for the 9 hours i am there :p

I have actually worked as a line cook in a restaurant for 2 years, and i currently work at advanced auto parts where i dont get to sit for the 9 hours i am there :p

lol same here once, i worked at walmart. busted my ass for 8 hours in a row. worked in the furniture department. only sat down on my breaks. feet hurt till i was used to it, then i quit :D. speaking of that, i'm gonna get me one of those ergohuman chairs then repost my desk setup since i moved :)

Here is my Idea'd out living room/desk area

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

HOW DO YOU GET THESE PHOTOS TO SHOW IN THE FORUM??? (ya know, instead of just links? I clicked on the Insert Image button)

thats not a jerker, i thought it was a frederick. i have one if u are interested dan. i dont' use it ;)

Ya I barely even use that drawer. It gets in the way most of the time. Like when I am trying to scoot my chair into gaming lean mode, lol. (armrests slide right under the desk and chair in-between the computer and drawer)

I love that chair too man, great headrest and lumbar support. Long gaming sessions and it never gets uncomfortable.

thats not a jerker, i thought it was a frederick. i have one if u are interested dan. i dont' use it ;)

You are right. It isn't a Jerker.

Ya I barely even use that drawer. It gets in the way most of the time. Like when I am trying to scoot my chair into gaming lean mode, lol. (armrests slide right under the desk and chair in-between the computer and drawer)

That sucks.

I bought a Fredrik about 2 weeks ago and discovered that it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Time for a couple of modifications.

I built a monitor riser out of 1-1/4" dowel rods and 3/4" MDF. This lifted my monitor 3.5" and put it in much better position for about 1/4 of the cost of a manufactured riser. My keyboard slides under it as well :)
img0841l.jpg

I couldn't get my speakers at ear level and didn't want to use conventional stands. The Jerker shelves had always appealed to me, so I came up with something that would mount to the Fredrik. They don't screw into the desk at all and are easily adjustable using the slots in the uprights. Btw, I will be upgrading to a pair of JBL 5-1/4 bookshelf's soon.
img0842d.jpg

A set of Dioder light are mounted to the bottom of the lower shelf. I drilled a total of 7 holes so all of the wires would be routed through the hollow metal pieces. The switch is mounted to the inner left of the desktop bracket (not visable).
img0844q.jpg

Last edited:
How did you make the speaker shelves? I would like to do something similiar on my Jerker so I can have more room on the desk.

^ okang, that is beautiful work, especially the lighting

How did you make the speaker shelves? I would like to do something similiar on my Jerker so I can have more room on the desk.
The shelves are made from 3/4" MDF, but you could probably get away with 1/2". There is a threaded rod through eye hooks, which are screwed into the shelf. A brace supports the shelf on the bottom. It all rests on a couple of S-hooks. I have a cap nut on the each end of the threaded rod to make it look a little better and keep it in position. The only thing you can't see in the pics are the two 1-1/2" screws going through the shelf and into the brace (countersunk and plugged). Pretty easy to make, really, and it could be scaled to make a printer shelf or whatever. However, Jerker shelves would be even easier to make.

Last edited:
Finally got everything setup and configured. Galant corner left, extension left, half round right, computer tray, drawer. Need to find something for the walls heh. Ran headphones into the drawer so they disappear when not in use, switch for the lights is mounted on the side of the drawer.

DSCF2160.JPG

DSCF2161.JPG

DSCF2162.JPG

DSCF2163.JPG

DSCF2164.JPG

DSCF2167.JPG

DSCF2168.JPG

DSCF2173.JPG

I just got a Galant tonight so I'll have to take some pictures once I get everything setup. I'd be putting it together now except that Ikea ran out of the T-legs. I have to wait for some to arrive in stock before I can complete the thing. I'm missing just one of the T-legs. :mad:

I just got a Galant tonight so I'll have to take some pictures once I get everything setup. I'd be putting it together now except that Ikea ran out of the T-legs. I have to wait for some to arrive in stock before I can complete the thing. I'm missing just one of the T-legs. :mad:

You could put it together and just leave off the rear T-leg for now (assuming you got a corner). Just don't put any weight on it and it will be fine. :D;)

[RCKY] Thor;1035491732 said:
You could put it together and just leave off the rear T-leg for now (assuming you got a corner). Just don't put any weight on it and it will be fine. :D;)

Seriously?

They said that the T-legs are used for tons of different stuff so they get shipments of them all the time. They told me to check back later in the week. They were also out of stock on one of the book cases I wanted, so I'll probably go back and get that as well while I am there. The Jerker is what I'm using now. I'll switch to using it for my test bench once I get my old desk out.

EXCELLENT IDEA BUD!
that is a great way of mounting a shelf!
Thanks. It took a little thinking to come up with it. They are currently holding some Harman Kardon 6.5" bookshelf speakers without issue :)

They Control 1's ?
Damn good speakers them, though need a sub to be honest.
No, they are some Control 1 clones. I upgraded the internal wiring, plugged the vent (too boomy), added a bunch of sound deadener, and some polyfil. They sound pretty decent now on my Super T-Amp, but still need a sub, just like the Control 1's. The BIC V-80 and V1020 are looking like good candidates.

Thanks. It took a little thinking to come up with it. They are currently holding some Harman Kardon 6.5" bookshelf speakers without issue :)

No, they are some Control 1 clones. I upgraded the internal wiring, plugged the vent (too boomy), added a bunch of sound deadener, and some polyfil. They sound pretty decent now on my Super T-Amp, but still need a sub, just like the Control 1's. The BIC V-80 and V1020 are looking like good candidates.

I have the BIC-V1020 and have been really happy with it in my home theater.

Well Ikea got the T-legs back in stock so I went out today and grabbed one. I finally got my desk put together but given the massive size of the desk I've had to rearrange my entire computer room. Right now I've got my main computer setup, well all but he audio. I had to rethink my speaker setup, my wiring, everything. Its like it was when I first moved into the house. So far though, the Galant is the best desk I've ever used. Sturdy, aesthetically pleasing, and serously funtional. I'll have no trouble with a 3 30" Eyefinity setup on this bad boy with room to spare!

I'll take pics once I get everything put together and wired up.

Yeah, that basically sums up my thoughts Dan. It's a slog getting all the wiring done nice and neat, but the reward is worth it.

With the amount of computer equipment I've got in this room, completely changing everything around turned into a huge chore. I've been working on it for about the last 7 hours or so and I'm still not done. Though almost everything is backup and running now. Server, work laptop, test bench, and my gaming station. I've got to take care of the audio, the TV, and the set top box. After all that is done, or rather while I'm doing all that I'll be making the wiring nice and neat. Just the way I like it.

I'm getting there though.

I've got the bigger Fredrick with the shelves, and I was wondering how much weight do you guys think the shelves on this thing could support? I've got a TV that weighs about 60 lbs that I'm thinking about setting on the top shelf? If it wouldn't work as is, any ideas to make it work?

I've got the bigger Fredrick with the shelves, and I was wondering how much weight do you guys think the shelves on this thing could support? I've got a TV that weighs about 60 lbs that I'm thinking about setting on the top shelf? If it wouldn't work as is, any ideas to make it work?
I think it would work. If the shelf began to sag noticably, you might think about putting something between the two shelves that would more or less link them. That would allow some of the weight to be supported by the lower shelf.

i have to agree with dan. when i moved to another apartment in the same building (wanted to save some money) oh what a pain it was to hookup 4 pc's back and rewire a 7.1 audio system in only 143 sq ft of space lol :p

still not quite done, but here are some shots:

not sure if i like the printer here, it will probably end up somewhere else
P1000707.jpg

my 4 quads (fridge is gone, sold it to a cute chick for $50 :D. file cabinet is now where the fridge was.) i also need some more backup ups's.

P1000630.jpg

got alot of work to do i know: would like a galant but not sure if i'd have the room. perhaps if i remove the old style jerker and the corner shelf. yeah. make a super long galant with a curved end? is that possible? :D

eventually the westy will go in the living room (hopefully by the middle of april if the 5870 prices drop, i want one). i'll get a third mount from monoprice and mount all 3 24 inch soyo's for eyefinity on my table jerker :)
i've been more preoccupied with my home gym.

P1000450.jpg

P1000451.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting there on my rewiring effort. I don't have my speakers exactly where I think they'll sound the best, but it is the best I think I can do given what I have. I may buy some different speakers, or mounts so that I can move them into a better position. So far my tests sound OK where they are at so I've chosen to wire things up where they are now. I just got my test bench done and now I've got to wire up the main computer and hide the wires under the Galant. I'll definitely need to pick up some USB extension cables. I thought I needed to go buy a longer Dual-Link DVI cable but I found one while looking for speaker wire. So evidently I'm covered there. Though I'll definitely need longer cables when I get more 30" panels.

i will re run the speaker calibration when i get a chance but the speakers are pretty much in the same locations they were in the old room, since the room is close to the same shape (minus one door and the window being in a different spot). i also need to setup the living room speakers!

I'm satisfied with the placement of everything except my front right and front left speakers. The sub is well placed as is the center channel, and the rears are acceptable. I could solve this by removing the speakers from their stands and setting them on the desk, but I hate the way that looks. Additionally, I'd have to hide them behind the monitors when I decide to buy the other two panels.

Back