Ikea desk gallery

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by AltTabbins, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

My Galant is showing its age. Can't tell from the pic, but its got several cracks in the wood. I've been looking for a new desk. Nothing has grabbed me, yet. Might just get a Bekant.

[​IMG]

BiH115 likes this.
  2. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Limp Gawd

It's a Linnmon tabletop with Kaj (Olov now) legs.

3. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

The Bekant actually does look pretty great (the corner variant). I'm looking at desks right now, and am stuck between a few at Staples, and now this one.

4. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

Yeah, I like the Bekant, too. Only minor problem is that it doesn't fit together as seamlessly as the Galant, which literally could be built into a single unit regardless of how many pieces added. Still, adding an extra flat Bekant desk to a corner unit wouldn't be difficult. Just zip tie the under frames together. That should keep the separate desks pretty stable.

I also like this desk, but it's pretty expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028XFDK4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. tomhulmeuk

tomhulmeuk n00bie

I'm back, a year older, with an updated desk setup :)
    I'm due to move soon anyway, so this is as good as it's going to get until I move house.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144016492@N05/albums/72157686559308375

A few things have changed, like the Hanns-G Monitor has been changed for a 1080p Acer panel, the keyboard is now a Corsair Strafe Red with Cherry MX Red switches. The audio system hasn't changed at all, an Amazon Echo Dot has been added along with that little shelf that I made myself using old parts from the old hutch I had for this desk.

-Tom

6. atp1916

atp1916 2[H]4U

My 2 ikea corner bekant setup: ...and yes inb4 wiring triggers: i need to do better wiring ;)

IMG_20160728_070155.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Nebulous and wra18th like this.
  7. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

How comfy is that chair? I've been eyeing the DXRacer's for a while.

8. atp1916

atp1916 2[H]4U

Well, i'm 6'2 - 215sh and that Iron Series model fits me like a glove.

Very much a bucket chair seating style feel, so you tend to sink back a little. Quite comfortable in my experience with a little bit of tilt back. I do not feel oversized at all in the thing.

The cushion material is firm after roughly a year of use. The back of the chair scales high enough to make the headrest sit right at my neck.

So, if you like bucket seating style w/ firm cushioning + good back support, i think you'd consider the chair comfortable!

Nebulous likes this.
  9. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

Hmm, interesting. I'm 6'1 and about 190. I was in a MVA back in '91 and I have steel rods in my back. I'm always looking for comfort and support, especially when gaming for several hours. I'm using an exective's office chair which has served me well for about a year, but after about an hour or so my legs start to hurt and I have to take a time-out, get up and stretch out walking about. I'm also looking at a new desk so I'll get the duo. Thanks for the recommendation!

atp1916 likes this.
  10. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Gawd

Love your setup. Just fantastic idea with that small drawer on the left.
    having to keep door open to play ps4 or xbox one is also not too bad. At least they don't gather dust when not in use. And the 3 monitor setup looks insane!

Here is my setup with the same desk. Not nearly as impressive hehe. Excuse evening lighting.
    [​IMG]

I do have a request for few tips though:
    1)What chair is that? My Markus chair is not too comfortable. Maybe I am too tall or keep bad position with that desk because my wrists kinda hurt and my back sometimes too. Maybe I should get big mousepad like Yours? I had corsair huge pad and sent it back after one day. It was stinking terribly and had hard stitched edge which was blocking my veins.
    2)I am looking to upgrade keyboard too... I have this weird industrial cherry keyboard with black switches. It's cool but layout is a bid weird and I got it for free. I guess it's a question for another topic though.
    3)And most important - how do You like Dell U2417H ? I am looking for 1080p 24" or 27" display. Now I have Iiyama AMVA+ screen which is not too good for gaming (ghosting) and I am looking for good IPS which I could use for general use (not competitive gaming) U2417H is looking great(dat bezels) but not too many opinions on it or some say u2414 is better but it's getting old now.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

do you know if they make a matching middle table to make that setup fit a bigger room?

12. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

I've got a set of Galant T-legs and frame that I'm using with a Galant top. However, I recently moved and need to change out the table top to fit my new home. There is a Bekant table top that is basically the same size and shape as my old Galant. Can I just buy the table top? is it compatible with the old Galant T-legs and frame?

13. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

If it's not compatible I think you can "make" it compatible. As long as you don't mind drilling holes into your desk. Bekant would've been a nice replacement to the galant only if the middle was curved instead of almost a 90 degree.

14. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

I don't think you can just drill holes in it... unless you're implying drill all the way through and use a nut and bolt to fasten.

Ikea uses specialty fasteners to attach the hardware to their desktops AFAIK

15. i2abid

i2abid [H]ard|Gawd

I was pretty bummed to see the galant vanish from Ikea, I'm thinking I'll have to rip the frame off my galant and slap it on a surface of my choice once mine gets worn out.

16. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Simple but nice setup.

17. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

anyone rocking the karlby with alex drawers? any sag in the middle to worry about