Ikea desk gallery

The Bekant actually does look pretty great (the corner variant). I'm looking at desks right now, and am stuck between a few at Staples, and now this one.
Yeah, I like the Bekant, too. Only minor problem is that it doesn't fit together as seamlessly as the Galant, which literally could be built into a single unit regardless of how many pieces added. Still, adding an extra flat Bekant desk to a corner unit wouldn't be difficult. Just zip tie the under frames together. That should keep the separate desks pretty stable.

I also like this desk, but it's pretty expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028XFDK4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm back, a year older, with an updated desk setup :)
I'm due to move soon anyway, so this is as good as it's going to get until I move house.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144016492@N05/albums/72157686559308375

A few things have changed, like the Hanns-G Monitor has been changed for a 1080p Acer panel, the keyboard is now a Corsair Strafe Red with Cherry MX Red switches. The audio system hasn't changed at all, an Amazon Echo Dot has been added along with that little shelf that I made myself using old parts from the old hutch I had for this desk.

-Tom

My 2 ikea corner bekant setup: ...and yes inb4 wiring triggers: i need to do better wiring ;)

IMG_20160728_070155.jpg

Last edited:
How comfy is that chair? I've been eyeing the DXRacer's for a while.

Well, i'm 6'2 - 215sh and that Iron Series model fits me like a glove.

Very much a bucket chair seating style feel, so you tend to sink back a little. Quite comfortable in my experience with a little bit of tilt back. I do not feel oversized at all in the thing.

The cushion material is firm after roughly a year of use. The back of the chair scales high enough to make the headrest sit right at my neck.

So, if you like bucket seating style w/ firm cushioning + good back support, i think you'd consider the chair comfortable!

Well, i'm 6'2 - 215sh and that Iron Series model fits me like a glove.

Very much a bucket chair seating style feel, so you tend to sink back a little. Quite comfortable in my experience with a little bit of tilt back. I do not feel oversized at all in the thing.

The cushion material is firm after roughly a year of use. The back of the chair scales high enough to make the headrest sit right at my neck.

So, if you like bucket seating style w/ firm cushioning + good back support, i think you'd consider the chair comfortable!

Hmm, interesting. I'm 6'1 and about 190. I was in a MVA back in '91 and I have steel rods in my back. I'm always looking for comfort and support, especially when gaming for several hours. I'm using an exective's office chair which has served me well for about a year, but after about an hour or so my legs start to hurt and I have to take a time-out, get up and stretch out walking about. I'm also looking at a new desk so I'll get the duo. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've gone through a lot of changes since my last post (probably 2014), but wanted to share my latest setup.

Ikea Malm desk (slightly modified) with Malm drawer unit.
3x Dell U2417H
Razer Deathstalker Chroma keyboard
Razer Deathadder Chrome mouse
Razer Leviathan Sound Bar
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Micro-ATX build with Thernaltake V21 mATX Chassis

i23cdftl.jpg

CKqtiQal.jpg

Drilled two cable holes in the back of the cabinet portion of the Malm desk for the consoles.
cAk9uP9l.jpg
Love your setup. Just fantastic idea with that small drawer on the left.
having to keep door open to play ps4 or xbox one is also not too bad. At least they don't gather dust when not in use. And the 3 monitor setup looks insane!

Here is my setup with the same desk. Not nearly as impressive hehe. Excuse evening lighting.
FKPxgo6.jpg

I do have a request for few tips though:
1)What chair is that? My Markus chair is not too comfortable. Maybe I am too tall or keep bad position with that desk because my wrists kinda hurt and my back sometimes too. Maybe I should get big mousepad like Yours? I had corsair huge pad and sent it back after one day. It was stinking terribly and had hard stitched edge which was blocking my veins.
2)I am looking to upgrade keyboard too... I have this weird industrial cherry keyboard with black switches. It's cool but layout is a bid weird and I got it for free. I guess it's a question for another topic though.
3)And most important - how do You like Dell U2417H ? I am looking for 1080p 24" or 27" display. Now I have Iiyama AMVA+ screen which is not too good for gaming (ghosting) and I am looking for good IPS which I could use for general use (not competitive gaming) U2417H is looking great(dat bezels) but not too many opinions on it or some say u2414 is better but it's getting old now.

Last edited:
I've got a set of Galant T-legs and frame that I'm using with a Galant top. However, I recently moved and need to change out the table top to fit my new home. There is a Bekant table top that is basically the same size and shape as my old Galant. Can I just buy the table top? is it compatible with the old Galant T-legs and frame?

If it's not compatible I think you can "make" it compatible. As long as you don't mind drilling holes into your desk. Bekant would've been a nice replacement to the galant only if the middle was curved instead of almost a 90 degree.

If it's not compatible I think you can "make" it compatible. As long as you don't mind drilling holes into your desk. Bekant would've been a nice replacement to the galant only if the middle was curved instead of almost a 90 degree.

I don't think you can just drill holes in it... unless you're implying drill all the way through and use a nut and bolt to fasten.

Ikea uses specialty fasteners to attach the hardware to their desktops AFAIK

I was pretty bummed to see the galant vanish from Ikea, I'm thinking I'll have to rip the frame off my galant and slap it on a surface of my choice once mine gets worn out.

Simple but nice setup.
Love your setup. Just fantastic idea with that small drawer on the left.
having to keep door open to play ps4 or xbox one is also not too bad. At least they don't gather dust when not in use. And the 3 monitor setup looks insane!

Here is my setup with the same desk. Not nearly as impressive hehe. Excuse evening lighting.
FKPxgo6.jpg

I do have a request for few tips though:
1)What chair is that? My Markus chair is not too comfortable. Maybe I am too tall or keep bad position with that desk because my wrists kinda hurt and my back sometimes too. Maybe I should get big mousepad like Yours? I had corsair huge pad and sent it back after one day. It was stinking terribly and had hard stitched edge which was blocking my veins.
2)I am looking to upgrade keyboard too... I have this weird industrial cherry keyboard with black switches. It's cool but layout is a bid weird and I got it for free. I guess it's a question for another topic though.
3)And most important - how do You like Dell U2417H ? I am looking for 1080p 24" or 27" display. Now I have Iiyama AMVA+ screen which is not too good for gaming (ghosting) and I am looking for good IPS which I could use for general use (not competitive gaming) U2417H is looking great(dat bezels) but not too many opinions on it or some say u2414 is better but it's getting old now.

anyone rocking the karlby with alex drawers? any sag in the middle to worry about

assume you were recently at the building. i wonder if they still sell the extension to the desk. i was not able to see them on line. are you able to confirm?
Honestly, I've had this desk for a few years, still in the box, in storage. I just purchased my first house so it was time to break it out.

Was about to switch out my 15+ year old Galant in white to the Bekant but decided to rejuvenate it by wrapping the tabletop in a black wood finish. Not sure if it counts as a ghetto mod, but this $15 job should make it last awhile longer!
galantrevive.jpg

Looks good actually. I am probably going to have to do the same thing with an old Jerker I have upstairs.

Had no idea that wrapping existed. Where’d you buy it? Looks great
I bought some from a car wrapping shop but Amazon has lots of vinyl wrap options!
My whole room stinks of vinyl for the time being.
You can also use contact paper (cheaper, easier, & no smell imo) but not as durable as vinyl.
I think it would be pretty cool to see desk setups with all the funky options available. A burgundy carbon fiber wrap would be pretty sweet, but I don't know how it'll look in person.

As much as I loved my Galant desk it was getting crowded. It just started looking cluddered. Stopped by ikea to figure out a few ideas to clean the desk up and saw the Fredde desk. The shelves are perfect for what I need to keep the same amount of equipment and a clean look. Was even able to hide the Apple TV and my Gigabyte Brix server under the first shelf.

Took a couple days to completely hide the cables and found a great light to hide under the top shelf. Honestly couldn’t be happier with this desk.

08E66255-D203-4C28-A0DB-B4D1EAAE7AA4.jpeg

As much as I loved my Galant desk it was getting crowded. It just started looking cluddered. Stopped by ikea to figure out a few ideas to clean the desk up and saw the Fredde desk. The shelves are perfect for what I need to keep the same amount of equipment and a clean look. Was even able to hide the Apple TV and my Gigabyte Brix server under the first shelf.

Took a couple days to completely hide the cables and found a great light to hide under the top shelf. Honestly couldn’t be happier with this desk.

View attachment 84274

Looks like a nice working desk.

Wish I could use something like this instead of just tables.

But it's just too small for my setup and I refuse to put my rig on the floor the way you have.

Looks like a nice working desk.

Wish I could use something like this instead of just tables.

But it's just too small for my setup and I refuse to put my rig on the floor the way you have.
Yeah I was hoping to put my case on the shelf where the printer is on the bottom. Completely eyeballed that wrong... once it was all put together I knew there was no way my case would fit.

Yeah I was hoping to put my case on the shelf where the printer is on the bottom. Completely eyeballed that wrong... once it was all put together I knew there was no way my case would fit.

YEah, and I'm rocking one of the Thermaltake X9 cases.

For a while I was looking to pick up a second-hand Ikea Jerker.
Unfortunately that won't fit my rig either.

MyRig2017a.jpg

NOTE: This is an OLD picture. All the cable clutter's cleaned up and the screens have been straightened.

Also, I'm moving in September. So I'll have the perfect excuse to clean up my rig even more.

Black ikea faux wood top, legs and drawer on the right side. Jerker/ Fedrick/don't know desk with the Macs on it. I bought it used, perfect shape for $20.

OfficeRearranged.jpg

I really miss when this thread was active. Has everyone moved on to r/battlestations or something?
I think it's more the case that IKEA just doesn't have much to offer for workstation desks, now. They inexplicably discontinued the Jerker and Galant, which were the best desks ever, IMO. I'm still hanging onto my 15+ year old Galant, even though it's been deteriorating for the past few years. :(

I think it's more the case that IKEA just doesn't have much to offer for workstation desks, now. They inexplicably discontinued the Jerker and Galant, which were the best desks ever, IMO. I'm still hanging onto my 15+ year old Galant, even though it's been deteriorating for the past few years. :(
Oh yeah, believe me, I am an owner of 5 Jerker desks. I have five that I've collected over the years. I don't even have an Ikea where I live lol. I have a Craigslist alert for ikea desks and scoop them up when I find them.

I've owned both and they were excellent. I now have a custom wood desk and got rid of the Galant. I do still have the Jerker and will probably just replace the top with some real wood.

Can someone tell me thickness of the jerker legs ? i need to know before driving 2 hours somewhere to find one or 3.

Back