• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

IGN feels "sorry" for EA... should you?

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 7, 2003
Messages
10,472
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/14/why-do-people-hate-ea

(THIS IS LONG. DON'T LIKE IT? THAN DON'T READ IT.)

Why do people hate EA? When I say 'people,' I mean 'some people,' some of the time -- a minority. And when I say 'hate' I mean mostly the writing of mean things on the internet.

I'd say the hate is broader than angry fanboy's on the Internet. Its strong enough that EA got voted the worst company in America last year , beating out such greats as Comcast and AT&T (hate them both , quite a lot).

Peter Moore, EA’s COO -"It's painful when you read that commentary. The vitriol is hard on the teams. They read this stuff, their neighbors ask them about it. You probably saw the video, EA in a Nutshell. It portrays us as a money-grubbing monolith, gouging. And you just want to say... really...we are The Man? Unfortunately, I've always learned that the tallest trees catch the most wind.”

The behavior of EA is what gives fan's the impression that its a money-grubbing monolith. You're a corporation EA , your history tells us you are exactly a "money-grubbing monolith" otherwise you wouldn't be in business.

As companies go, EA is not as cuddly and nice as, say Valve. But then, Valve isn’t publicly traded. Valve isn’t owned by banks. EA isn’t exactly Dogtanian or Lady or Lassie. But nor is it Kujo. And the world is full of Kujos. You are probably touching something right now that was conceived, manufactured, funded, or distributed by Kujo.

Valve is still a company that is out to make money , not friends. I would say over the years Valve's reputation has taken a hit , its still vastly clearer than EA's but I don't think its quite the "shining" example it use to be. Perhaps part of the problem with EA that Valve doesn't seem to have an issue with is allowing its development groups creative control?

Moore says, “There is this underlying belief in a lot of gamers that games shouldn't be profitable enterprises. I try and sit down with people as much as I can and explain what it takes to make a video game and how much capital investment it takes. We employ over 9,000 people. We invest over a billion dollars a year in R&D, most of which doesn't see revenue until the following year, or in some instances, the year after that. And so you've constantly got to be making money to reinvest money to make great games.”

Easily the best point of the article and one thing I think a lot of gamers don't understand about big corporations like EA. It takes money to make money in the gaming world , each game is a massive game (for the most part) and losing tens of millions of dollars on failure just isn't something many companies can afford. To EA's credit , this is a valid point. It doesn't excuse EA's dumb ass behavior at times but it important to remember that its an imperfect entity.

Judging by the forums and articles on this subject, EA’s most grievous error seems to be in its attempts to get more money out of its customers. Its tinkering with DLC models has enraged many people who believe the firm is gouging the most loyal fans of the great games it makes.

It is undoubtedly true that tricks like Day One DLC and extra downloadable content is an area where EA and other games companies are toying with our emotions, our loyalties, and our wallets.

This is my biggest beef. I understand that DLC is the future of gaming and its right now. I understand that the whole $60 game formula isn't working anymore and the cost of development skyrockets each year for big branded franchises and games. I know that taking on a new IP and throwing money at it is a giant risk that often doesn't pay off like it should.

However when you generate content and basically nickle and dime your customers with pre-order bonus bullshit or exclusive pre-order bonuses to different brick and mortar outlets , this rubs me the wrong way. Capcom and EA seem to be (at least to me) the worst offenders of DLC content. It would be different if DLC content didn't feel like utter fluff and was actually a chunk of content on its own that was worth while owning but more often than not its bullshit like "Unlock all top tier weapons in BF3".

There is much in this article I disagree with , however stating that I'm one of those people that doesn't mind Origin. I also still enjoyed ME3 despite the utterly shitty ending , I think EA does get tons of shit and deserves a majority of it. But its important to remember that while a group of suits in a room drive the economic strategies of EA , there are entire studio's of people making games because they love to do so. I would imagine for them reading some of the shit they do online must be soul crushing at times. Games are after all (most of the time) a labor of love and creativity.

What do you guys think? (puts on flame suit).
 
There are many other studios out there looking for quality employees. In the age of kickstarter EA isn't really an excuse anymore for having your creativity cut down. I mean, if you decide to work for EA you must be well aware that there are actual gamers out there who are going to shit on your game. It's not like they are a monopoly. No pity for EA.
 
I have no love for EA, though I do think gaming enthusiasts waste far too much time and effort crying about them.
 
Oh look another I hate EA thread.

Everyone has beef with a random company.. No company is perfect.
 
Oh look another I hate EA thread.

Everyone has beef with a random company.. No company is perfect.

Actually its not , well not really. Did you even read the article or are you just assuming ?
 
There is this underlying belief in a lot of gamers that games shouldn't be profitable enterprises.
Strawman. We think games should be profitable, but we feel that profit shouldn't be the primary motive in making a game. We're gamers, not shareholders. We want a game to be good more than we want it to be profitable. Unfortunately, idiots have always been the most profitable market as shown throughout all human history.

So that's who they gear the games toward:
Idiots who don't realize they're getting hosed when EA doesn't allow mods.
Idiots who will buy any DLC that gets put in front of them.
Idiots who defend the company that could give them more, but doesn't because it would cost money.

Idiots who justify their purchases by saying "well it's cheaper than going to a movie". Well no shit. Movies are at the highest end of money-per-hour entertainment cost. ANYTHING is cheaper per hour than going to a movie.
 
What did you expect,sites like IGN sold out to the big developers long ago. It's amazing that gamers who just want some kind of quality for their money get accused of whining or being "elitists" when they complain about the BS companies like EA pull,when it's our hard earned bucks that put them where they are.
 
After the SWTOR Failure. I hate to say it, but EA kills gaming developers.

RIP Bioware. EA made you a shitty company now.
 
Heres why I don't like them. They push other companies out through legal tactics. Papyrus made great racing games back when not alot attention was paid to that genre.

In 2002, EA purchased the license to NASCAR for six years, ending competition from Papyrus and Infogrames.

On December 13, 2004, EA Sports signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League (NFL) and its Players' Union for five years. On February 12, 2008, EA Sports announced the extension of its exclusive deal until the 2012 NFL season.

Less than a month after the NFL Exclusive deal, EA Sports signed a four-year exclusive deal with the Arena Football League (AFL).

On April 11, 2005, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and EA Sports signed a deal to grant EA Sports the sole rights to produce college football games for six years.

EA lost the rights for Major League Baseball (MLB) games to 2K Sports in 2005, ending EA's MVP series; however, EA made NCAA Baseball games in 2006 and 2007 after losing the MLB license. In January 2008, EA Sports decided not to renew their NCAA College Baseball license while they evaluate the status of their MVP game engine.

In 2005, EA Sports and ESPN signed a massive 15-year deal for ESPN to be integrated into EA Sports video games. EA's use of the ESPN license has steadily increased over the early life of the deal. EA's early usage of the ESPN license began with ESPN Radio and a sports ticker in titles like Madden NFL, NBA Live, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and NCAA Baseball and Football.

Games were $60 20 years ago. The difference was that only a handfull of people made the game, but only only a handfull of people bought the games. Yes, todays games are much bigger and require alot more staff, but they are bigger because so many more people are playing them. 20 years ago video games was a child's thing or may be the nerdy young adult male. Now video games literally cover like the 4-70 year old range. I've raided in WoW with dudes in their 60's that are retired. I know girls in real life that actively play video games at some level on a regular basis. Its rediculous how popular they are.
 
This is like Hitler going; "Damn, I kinda feel sorry for murdering millions of jews. Oh well"
 
The thing is that even if you are a money grabbing monolith it still makes sense to not be massive dicks to your customers, to try and foster some kind of loyalty and long term relationship with your customers to encourage repeat business.

Unfortunately there's a lot of sheeple out there, way more casual gamers today than enthusiasts and most of them don't really understand or care how businesses like EA are bad for gaming, so EA can get away with it. Normally I wouldn't care and just leave them to their dysfunctional relationship with the sheep but it's dragging down everything around it, which is a good reason to hate EA.
 
I loathe EA. Not because they are out to make money though. I would love to be a rich 1% that takes an x-rated money bath that would put scrooge mcduck to shame, I hate that they take profitable game developers under their wing and abuse the crap out of them. The second they took Mythic I held my breath and it happened. Right into the crapper. BioWare I was wary then DA came and it was a hit. I thought well may be they realized destroying the company based on product pulls and market schemes is a bad idea. WRONG,DA2, ME2/3 and wow look at TOR sink. Origin isnt all bad but there isnt a whole lot I want to buy either.
 
am I like on the few who really doesn't care? I don't really have a Problem with EA or many of the products I have that they published.
 
am I like on the few who really doesn't care? I don't really have a Problem with EA or many of the products I have that they published.

I'm on the slightly caring side of indifferent. Yes, I agree EA published games often have the life sucked out of them to some extent, but at the same time they're doing the job of a publisher by providing money so games can actually be made. It's nice that kickstarter is around now, but there's no way kickstarter is sustainable for EVERY developer and EVERY game, publishers are still a necessary evil. Something like WMD's Project CARS is a great way to get around the publisher and it's great to see a developer innovating like that to get money, but still again it's not gonna work for every game type and every developer.

But most of all I just can't bring myself to hate a company with which I am so disconnected and when push comes to shove are so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Games are my entertainment, not my life, so as long as EA aren't using puppies to fuel their furnaces and creating meat pies from third world babies, I really can't bring myself to hate them or care about them.

Call me a casual gamer or call me a sheep, at least I'm not the one crying over a publisher which I have no personal connection with and really isn't doing anything terribly evil.
 
Strawman. We think games should be profitable, but we feel that profit shouldn't be the primary motive in making a game. We're gamers, not shareholders. We want a game to be good more than we want it to be profitable. Unfortunately, idiots have always been the most profitable market as shown throughout all human history.

So that's who they gear the games toward:
Idiots who don't realize they're getting hosed when EA doesn't allow mods.
Idiots who will buy any DLC that gets put in front of them.
Idiots who defend the company that could give them more, but doesn't because it would cost money.

Idiots who justify their purchases by saying "well it's cheaper than going to a movie". Well no shit. Movies are at the highest end of money-per-hour entertainment cost. ANYTHING is cheaper per hour than going to a movie.

Yes because all these people are idiots because they just want to buy games to have fun. They have successful jobs and make a living, but nope they are idiots because they buy games that THEY enjoy.

I still love how anyone who doesn't have your opinion on what is a good video game is an idiot.

This is like Hitler going; "Damn, I kinda feel sorry for murdering millions of jews. Oh well"

Yeah, because a video game company is just like a guy who killed(ordered to kill) millions. :rolleyes:
 
This is like Hitler going; "Damn, I kinda feel sorry for murdering millions of jews. Oh well"

Unfortunately, this is how delusional game heads feel about EA. Like they killed your family. :rolleyes:
EA hasn't killed on person releasing games. They've just ruined your free time for gaming.

Keep things in perspective.
 
Why would I feel sorry for them? So people on the internet pick on them, boo fucking hoo. I don't feel sorry for companies their failings are usually entirely their own fault. You know who I do feel sorry for? The thousands of people these companies have to lay off.
 
EA publishing your game is fine as you'll be on the front page of reviews and generate enough buzz. It's when EA funds your project that things fall apart. For some reason people that quit or leave for whatever reason tell the same tales of pressure to release early, change of focus during development, more pressure to make up for lost time when the focus changed, etc.

Companies that EA buys that have been putting out quality titles for a decade suddenly make games with bad ideas, no focus on proper game play, simplistic game mechanics to appeal to a broader audience which cause them to lose their core audience and the subsequent failure to generate a new audience, etc. The only thing that I see constant in these comparisons is the logo EA stamped on the game box. Thus I can infer that EA is the problem.

What we should do is make a list of developers and games that EA published / funded. Then rate each developer's games before and after EA acquisition. That would be much more revealing and understandable to the fans of EA and the detractors.
 
It doesn't surprise me at all that IGN published that article. I wonder how much EA paid them for that.
 
After the SWTOR Failure. I hate to say it, but EA kills gaming developers.

RIP Bioware. EA made you a shitty company now.

Don't forget the Mass Effect 3 fiasco. The end of the game shows it was clearly rushed out the door. Even though they were separate development teams, the resources used to make the tacked on multiplayer could have been used to shore up the single player game. And BioWare's efforts with DLC are all clearly on the multiplayer side. So yeah, EA killed BioWare. The company that used to make great single player RPG games doesn't do that anymore.
 
I find it silly wasting time trying to find a reason for them to justify their behavior. They will always argue they are right and everyone else is wrong. Who cares? You deliver a shitty product? Then you delivered a shitty product. Who cares why?

If I deem it shitty, I don't buy. They have been shoveling shit for a while.
I don't care why, I just don't buy their games. IGN is just trying to get hits and EA is doing damage control; stupid, pointless article. QQ some more.
 
You know I was gonna type of my usual big hate shpeal, but I just don't see the point. Maybe it's because I'm still barely into my morning coffee but I think whining about EA is a waste of time anymore. We all know they suck and why and that they don't deserve any sympathy. This isn't a game publisher you should care enough about to try and influence. This is the chase bank of videogames. They fund games to make a buck. If it isn't clearly a profitable product they dump it or reskin it to be one. IGN can seriously suck a dick though. They are on the precipice of being irrelevant.
 
Unfortunately, this is how delusional game heads feel about EA. Like they killed your family. :rolleyes:
EA hasn't killed on person releasing games. They've just ruined your free time for gaming.

Keep things in perspective.

Exactly.
 
EA is bad for video gaming. The studios that work under its umbrella would be better off if EA didn't exist. Same goes for all major publishers. The industry needs developers, and an efficient way for developers to get their games to market. The industry does not need middle man, marketing and profiteering publishers.
 
EA is bad for video gaming. The studios that work under its umbrella would be better off if EA didn't exist. Same goes for all major publishers. The industry needs developers, and an efficient way for developers to get their games to market. The industry does not need middle man, marketing and profiteering publishers.

I use to hate EA (especially for what they did to all my favorite game companies they acquired), but honestly, they aren't nearly as bad in comparison to other publishers. It's a systematic failure throughout the industry, but I don't really think it's completely the industry's fault. A lot of the blame falls onto us as consumers for allowing such things to happen, and our continued support.
 
EA is bad for video gaming. The studios that work under its umbrella would be better off if EA didn't exist. Same goes for all major publishers. The industry needs developers, and an efficient way for developers to get their games to market. The industry does not need middle man, marketing and profiteering publishers.

That's only partially true. The money they've invested into the studios allows them to do things they wouldn't ordinarily be able to attempt. The problem is EA demands impossible deadlines and a certain amount of return on their investment. The more time goes on the more they pressure the studio to deliver. The studio's are forced to behave a certain way to deliver. The games start to suffer in quality and EA's requirements for what will make money make them more watered down and generic. They do things which are designed to maximize the longevity of the game's popularity.

They are like game cancer or something.
 
EAs two big problems from me are DLC (this is becoming an industry standard but nobody does it better than EA atm) and innovation.

EA continues to buy game companies or franchises then micro manages them to death. How many companies or franchises have we seen move away from what they were to follow the EA model of copying successful games? EA has ruined some of the most successful franchises like Sim City (yes, a new one is being released but it's been almost a decade and online requirement may kill it), Medal of Honor, and Need for Speed. All these games were leaders in their category for many years, yet due to sloppy management and the "need" to make these games more mainstream they have in effect killed off their base.
 
EAs two big problems from me are DLC (this is becoming an industry standard but nobody does it better than EA atm) and innovation.

EA continues to buy game companies or franchises then micro manages them to death. How many companies or franchises have we seen move away from what they were to follow the EA model of copying successful games? EA has ruined some of the most successful franchises like Sim City (yes, a new one is being released but it's been almost a decade and online requirement may kill it), Medal of Honor, and Need for Speed. All these games were leaders in their category for many years, yet due to sloppy management and the "need" to make these games more mainstream they have in effect killed off their base.

Black Box killed Need for Speed all by themselves. After Most Wanted they simply failed to capture what made the games fun. If anything giving the series to Criterion and Slightly Mad has saved it.
 
This is like Hitler going; "Damn, I kinda feel sorry for murdering millions of jews. Oh well"

Seriously? That is the worst analogy you could have came up with and probably the most tasteless I've ever seen on this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself attempting to reference the two as if EA's developer killing is anywhere even in the same universe as Hitler killing millions of Jews... :(

If anyone seriously thinks this is comparable , you need to really re-evaluate your life and priorities. If a game sucks , it sucks. But killing millions of people simply because of pure hate? That is well beyond just "sucks".

When I hear people say things like that then I just want to stop seeking the opinion of gaming forum goers period. EA hasn't murdered millions of people to create sub par games..
 
Last edited:
Yeah, let's stop talking about Hitler and get back on topic here.

I don't really feel sorry for EA. They have the reputation they have because of their actions, plain and simple. Plus, their executives/PR people say some REALLY stupid shit sometimes.
 
Yeah, let's stop talking about Hitler and get back on topic here.

I don't really feel sorry for EA. They have the reputation they have because of their actions, plain and simple. Plus, their executives/PR people say some REALLY stupid shit sometimes.

And they're like the Borg from Star Trek. Absorbing everything in their site and leaving destruction in their wake.

Broadly speaking, of course. It isn't ALL bad but damn.
 
Back
Top