If you have purchased Windows XP OEM with Vista Upgrade coupon, please post here!

DMarti said:
Depends on the version of XP you buy.
If you get it with Pro (which is the only one I've seen it with, but I probably just didnt see the other one)

wait so this upgrade thing means i have to buy a new copy of xp to get the upgrade coupon?, I cant use my xp cd i bought years ago and get a coupon ???

Headbust said:
wait so this upgrade thing means i have to buy a new copy of xp to get the upgrade coupon?, I cant use my xp cd i bought years ago and get a coupon ???
Correct. Did you really expect them to give you a free (or near-free) upgrade to Vista?

dotK said:
Correct. Did you really expect them to give you a free (or near-free) upgrade to Vista?
no i was going to buy it full either way, just wondering , somehow, someway this upgrade thing is going to come back and bite everyone in the ass 2yrs from now just watch :D

update on my order.

they recieved my fax,validated proof of purchase

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DVD 1 USD 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 0.00

Shipping USD 11.49
Tax USD 0.00
Total USD 11.49

Order Status : POP validated
Shipping Date :
Carrier : Standard
AWB# :

Americas
Software Upgrade Program
PO Box 1918
Orem, UT 84059-1918
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 801-431-5616

read the confirmation email, and says you can fax the reciept, and confirmation

Thank you for submitting your order to upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DVD. It is important that you carefully follow all instructions on this confirmation email. You are responsible for ensuring the completeness and accuracy of your order request. Any incomplete, illegible, late, lost, mutilated, misdirected or postage-due requests, fraudulent submission of multiple requests, or providing false information in a request will delay and/or disqualify your submission. Microsoft and/or ModusLink (or your manufacturer or installer) may deny and/or discard any submission deemed to be false or fraudulent. For your order to be fulfilled, you must submit (by mail, facsimile or scan) your receipt for a qualifying PC, together with the online confirmation number listed on this page, to the following address or facsimile number:

Ok I bought mine off newegg, and everything went through to that point seamlessly, confirmation number and everything. However, where it says I have to mail my "RECIEPT FOR A QUALIFYING PC," does that mean I can't get the upgrade since I'm installing it on a computer I built!!??

no, MS is runniing a promotion through certain etailors

just fax or mail, or email the xp receipt, and the upgrade forn, newegg ships those with the qualifying purchase of xp.

If you do choose the snail mail route, have it weighed, or use 2 stamps on it, mine was 78cents to mail.

i purchased the vista upgrade deal with xp sp2 home via newegg a couple weeks ago.

one question, is the vista going to be a full install or an upgrade that has to be installed over that specific copy of sp2

i would like to know the answer too...pls help...:)

It may not have to be installed over XP, but it is tied to to the coa of XP. It will probably work like xp upgrade did, where you put in the XP disc to verify you have it,and then offer either upgrade or full install option.

Ok I bought mine off newegg, and everything went through to that point seamlessly, confirmation number and everything. However, where it says I have to mail my "RECIEPT FOR A QUALIFYING PC," does that mean I can't get the upgrade since I'm installing it on a computer I built!!??

You send in your newegg packing slip or receipt for wherever you purchesed the oem software from instead of a prebuilt pc reciept.

I have to mail my "RECIEPT FOR A QUALIFYING PC," does that mean I can't get the upgrade since I'm installing it on a computer I built!!??

I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is:

You have to demonstrate to them that you are a "system builder" (their term). Basically they want proof that you bought all the parts and assembled it yourself. A receipt for the parts should do. Not just a HD or MB, you'll have to show enough parts to make a complete PC. This is different from XP, where only a bit of hardware qualified (e.g just a HD).

If you're paranoid, just keep in mind that when you activate the OS, it will send a summary of the hardware in the machine to MS - which CPU, NIC (MAC address), # of HD and size, etc. Google "windows activation" (or similar) for details on this. So - the receipt should match this info at least minimally.

I'm still not clear whether MS considers a "system builder" to be just mom-and-pop computer stores or includes home enthusiasts. I'm considering making a clone of the three receipts (two retailers) I have for the parts for my machine and creating one with something hinting that the retailer actually assembled it.

I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is:

You have to demonstrate to them that you are a "system builder" (their term). Basically they want proof that you bought all the parts and assembled it yourself. A receipt for the parts should do. Not just a HD or MB, you'll have to show enough parts to make a complete PC. This is different from XP, where only a bit of hardware qualified (e.g just a HD).

If you're paranoid, just keep in mind that when you activate the OS, it will send a summary of the hardware in the machine to MS - which CPU, NIC (MAC address), # of HD and size, etc. Google "windows activation" (or similar) for details on this. So - the receipt should match this info at least minimally.

I'm still not clear whether MS considers a "system builder" to be just mom-and-pop computer stores or includes home enthusiasts. I'm considering making a clone of the three receipts (two retailers) I have for the parts for my machine and creating one with something hinting that the retailer actually assembled it.
The promo on Neweggs website clearly states, NO hardware purchase necessary. By breaking the seal on the promo software pkg, MS is granting you a single system builders license.

let say you buy windows mce 2005 and get the coupon for vista. can you install mce on system ONE and wait to get the vista dvd and then install that, when the time is right, on system TWO?

thanks

let say you buy windows mce 2005 and get the coupon for vista. can you install mce on system ONE and wait to get the vista dvd and then install that, when the time is right, on system TWO?

Im afraid not, because it is a oem product it is tied to the hardware in that machine when you installed it, thats why it is so cheap. So when you want to install vista you will have to do so on the same machine as you installed mce. You could always buy oem software for the second machine a lot cheaper but you wont be able to upgrade your hardware.

Are you saying that msft will know if you don't install this OEM vista on the same system? Are you saying the product IDs of XP MCE and vista are linked somehow?

What if you never install MCE 2005? Can you explain how they will know this. Does it have to do with the activation process? Call me skeptical.

Im afraid not, because it is a oem product it is tied to the hardware in that machine when you installed it, thats why it is so cheap. So when you want to install vista you will have to do so on the same machine as you installed mce. You could always buy oem software for the second machine a lot cheaper but you wont be able to upgrade your hardware.

Lets say you buy windows mce 2005 and get the coupon for vista. Then let's say you do not install MCE right away, and you wait to get the vista dvd, and then install that on a new system. Then when that is activated, you install mce 2005 on another system. Will both be activated?

thanks

I dunno and i'm sorta wondering about the same thing, i just don't know if it is worth it to have my copy of windows tied to just one system

I dunno and i'm sorta wondering about the same thing, i just don't know if it is worth it to have my copy of windows tied to just one system

I agree. The best computing investment you can make is to buy a retail version of vista instead of an oem version. Its' like $40 more. no worries.

update to my order

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DVD 1 USD 0.00 USD 0.00 USD 0.00

Shipping USD 11.49
Tax USD 0.00
Total USD 11.49

Order Status : POP/COA validated
Shipping Date :
Carrier : Standard
AWB# :

before it just said pop validated

Lets say you buy windows mce 2005 and get the coupon for vista. Then let's say you do not install MCE right away, and you wait to get the vista dvd, and then install that on a new system. Then when that is activated, you install mce 2005 on another system. Will both be activated?

for a start you wont get the express upgrade dvd unless you have already registered your oem copy of mce2005, you need to install mce before you can register for the express upgrade. And you will not be able to install vista on another computer, that coa is tied to your first computer i.e the mce version. The whole idea is to get a cheap version of vista for your NEW computer but in my case I just wanted a cheap copy of vista so I purchased mce2005, if I upgrade i will just buy the oem version of vista later on. I dont upgrade every 6 months like a lot of you.

Hello,

I have been having the same problems trying to get through the upgrade web site with my mce2005 upgrade coupon. All I get is the redemption number has been used.
Btw I'm in the uk. I called the retailer (Ebuyer) and they emailed me another form, which seemed all to easy. I have yet to try the new number but will keep my fingers crossed. And, after reading this thread it looks as though the original may work in another day or two. So I could use both forms to use untill one works!

Also, does anyone know if I will be able to dual boot with my oem mce and the oem vista when it/if arrives?

Many thanks.

I don't think you can do the dual boot thing, because the upgrade replaces MCE and will disable that coa, because it becomes a part of the new upgrade. As far as the upgrade wwebsite ,when your original coupon fails ,use the click here box, and send a FEW e-mails ,asking for a coupon/coa reset. I had to do this quite a few times, as I got various error messages ,such as coupon already in use, can not validate coa etc. Just keep bombing them with e-mails ,asking for coa reset. zeros in the serial# and Brand boxes too. Do NOT follow thier advice to use the TECH Guarantee website, as this is for RETAIL software only.Eventually, you will be able to complete the form. try at least once a day. What REALLY bites, is if we waited, OEM premium cost $119 just $10 more than MCE WITHOUT all the BS.

Cheers,
Well in that case I don't think I will bother using the coupon and stick with MCE for now.
If I decide to get Vista in 6 months or so, then i'll just go and buy a separate OEM Home Premium Edition.

I called to check the status this morning. Mine has been listed as "Order confirmed" for quite some time. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. They received my POP/Upgrade form on 01/04/07. The rep stated they had not got that far yet due to the thousands of letters they have. I'm still not anticipating anything before March 1st, but who knows. :)

They state somewhere on the website, 4 to 6 weeeks from recieving the your info.

mines been five weeks, and C.O.A and POP have been validated for some time now.

Im thinking maybe hopefully this weeek, but probably next

Somebody over at AT contacted M$ and was told the end of February for shipping of the upgrades.

Somebody over at AT contacted M$ and was told the end of February for shipping of the upgrades.

pure heresay(i hope).I expect next week sometime, i already emailed theyre customer service to see if they a date

pure heresay(i hope).I expect next week sometime, i already emailed theyre customer service to see if they a date

The last email from Moduslink stated it would ship 4 - 6 weeks AFTER January.

As for your missing POP verification...at least you're getting COA...I'm getting neither now...the site appears to have problems again. I had verifications on both but I can't get to that page anymore....i get stuck on the page where you enter your order number and/or COA to check the order and it comes back as missing both even though both are entered.
Now being the total optimist I am, my thinking is that maybe they shipped them and have cleared out the data once shipped.
It's good to have a dream.

The last email from Moduslink stated it would ship 4 - 6 weeks AFTER January.

As for your missing POP verification...at least you're getting COA...I'm getting neither now...the site appears to have problems again. I had verifications on both but I can't get to that page anymore....i get stuck on the page where you enter your order number and/or COA to check the order and it comes back as missing both even though both are entered.
Now being the total optimist I am, my thinking is that maybe they shipped them and have cleared out the data once shipped.
It's good to have a dream.

if its 4 to 6 weeks, ill already have another copy by then, especially if all the crap going is true about install, and verification issues.Ill buy a reatil version, there are some great deals out there right now

I wonder whats going on with the verification process, youre having isues and a friend of mine, whose verification of coa/pop is gone also, and his was in about a week before mine, he tried yesterday to get info from customer service , and couldnt get through.Thiis whole moduslink thing has been not well thought out and executed.Seems they dont have the expertise or manpower to handle the load they are getting.

Anyone got there copy or a ship date yet?, I cant seem to check my order on the modus link website AGAIN:mad:

bmp

2/1 Last time I checked ,you had to include your E-maill in the box there, or it wouldn't let you check. Checking without the E-mail address, bought up yet another error code:rolleyes:

You're right BIGDADDY....I picked up on that after I did that post and failed to update my post.

I did have a change on my Office2007 Upgrade at the Moduslink site...says it's been moved to the back office instead of COA/POP verified. I'm hoping that means it's ready to ship.

If I new it was going to be like this I would of just bought the oem version of vista my order is now coa/pop confirmed whatever that means?

If I new it was going to be like this I would of just bought the oem version of vista my order is now coa/pop confirmed whatever that means?

Q.F.T

I purchased MCE to get vista, and now they are saying 6 weeks after release date:mad:

Itll be april befor these things show up, I figured a couple weeks after release date.

Originally on the website it stated 4 to 6 weeks after recieving and verifying the the pop/coa:confused:

and speaking of pop/coa verification.Mines taken a step backward.It was coa/pop verified, not it just says coa verified.

This whole thing hasnt been handled very smoothly or effeciently.

Q.F.T

I purchased MCE to get vista, and now they are saying 6 weeks after release date:mad:

Itll be april befor these things show up, I figured a couple weeks after release date.

Originally on the website it stated 4 to 6 weeks after recieving and verifying the the pop/coa:confused:

and speaking of pop/coa verification.Mines taken a step backward.It was coa/pop verified, not it just says coa verified.

This whole thing hasnt been handled very smoothly or effeciently.

whos saying 6 weeks after release?, I thought 2 weeks tops, were do they ship from? Im in no hurry but would like to install sooner rather than later cus it looks cool and have just ordered a tv card to use in media center, surely they must have distribution in each country u.k, usa ect?, like the old adage says you get what you pay for, in this case £10.00.

I should have just waited, and bought vista instead of mce and then the upgrade farce., seen some real good deals out there.

not that i want all the vista issues, but having alittle time for drivers to mature is good thing,but april or march before recieving is alittle ridiculous.

Back