If you can solve this...

Well I recently bought a 300 gig maxtor 16 mb cache hdd, and i hooked it up to my computer; and it says 123 gigs, apparently i need some patch or whatever but i can't seem to find a link or a place to extract it and full capacity my hdd to 300 gig so i can start downloading stuff without worries.

download links? ftps?

anyone *shouts through a megaphone :cool:

System info, hardware and OS? If WinXP, what service pack? Does the BIOS recognize it as the full size?

Pentium 4, 1.40 ghz, service pack 2 -microsoft windows xp pro. version 2002
512 MB Ram, 300 gig maxtor 16 mb cache

man if you can figure this out or able to provide a patch or anything like ive been trying 2 fix this for the past week and its frustrating the crap out of me.

Did you install SP2 by itself, via windows update or was it slipstreamed in the cd? If its a maxtor drive, search for big drive enabler. See if that helps.

Now that you have installed sp2, does the remainder of the space appear as unpartitioned in your disk management utility? right click my computer > manage > disk management.

If so you can either expand the system partition with a utility or create another partition and use the space that way. To address the space from the windows setup you'll need to slipstream sp2 onto an installation cd and reinstall.

the 127 gig barrier you are experiencing is a bios limitation caused by the lack of 48bit LBA

update your bios for your motherboard if you were stuck at 137gig thats the windows OS barrier which is cured with SP 1 & 2 you can download & install sp-2 then install a drive larger than 137 gig or if you want to install windows onto a drive larger than 137gig you must have sp-2 slipstreamed onto your windows OS disk

another no Bullshit option is to add a Promise brand IDE controller card ($40.00 @ newegg)to your machine and connect the drive to that >>> it has its own bios therefore is large drive capable and bootable as well

enjoy

Back