If these sheets are true: R520 spanks 7800GTX

kubebot said:
Not when you want high AA/AF and 60FPS in BF2 & you sell your old system to friend & now he can play online with you + the upgrade for you only costs $98 :D
lol ..that works... :)

everyone worrying about fps, and I care more for H.264 acceleration, and Adaptive AA :D

I don't see any reason for the ATI to be slower since it is so late. Being this late and unless they say ok x1800XL and XT's can be had by all at newegg or zipzoomfly it's still not out regardless so hopefully they will be if not then it isn't a hard launch just another paper launch. I expect this card to beat the 7800GTX being that it's considerably out later and months at that. If it isn't almost twice as fast as the 7800gtx then there is no real reason to buy one unless it's cheaper than the gtx which given their price history it won't be not with 512mb of ram lol.

It's fine hopefully it's a better card for the same price but again history shows that it won't be much better than the gtx and not on price either so I will definitely have to reserve judgement and speculation until anandtech and [H] have reviews and the card is readily available at major online retailers. The other bad thing that I see is this card is going to be expensive and probaly need a few driver revisions to be stable and playable in alot of games :(.

I have a 7800GT arriveing tuesday... Am I upset? hell no i got it cheap.

I seriously doubt the performance lead an X1800 would have over a 7800 is as great as ATI are saying.

Besides, i fancy a nice bit of dual vid card action down the line and dont fancy shelling out for an inferior mobo to just run miss fire.

Fawkes said:
I have a 7800GT arriveing tuesday... Am I upset? hell no i got it cheap.

I seriously doubt the performance lead an X1800 would have over a 7800 is as great as ATI are saying.

Besides, i fancy a nice bit of dual vid card action down the line and dont fancy shelling out for an inferior mobo to just run miss fire.

you mean the mainboard which anandtech called the best overclocker on the market here? and are you talking about crossfire, which has not even been tested on r520 as of yet, where it most probably will not have any annoying refresh rate limitation?

IMHO things got blown WAY out of proportion, with all these threads floating about talking about ATI as if it was the next 3dfx. ATI did score some impressive deals with microsoft and nintendo for their next-gen consoles, while microsoft's xbox 360 may well become the world's leading gaming platform and will certainly rake in some cash for them (l'ink). they got their mainboards ready and quite surprisingly seem to have got their shit together this time - as you can see in the above quoted review at anandtech's, AND they reacted to nVidia's SLI solution - late and knee-jerk-style, admitted, and not too convincing on x800. if now these slides are anywhere near correct, they have a competitive product on the market and mastered they die-shrinks for future products before nVidia did. is the situation any worse than it was for nVidia when they developed the original xBox GPU? i doubt it, and if you ask me, you should really give them some credit.

now let's wait and see what r520 really can (or can't) do.

Quote by WIZZAKER;
now let's wait and see what r520 really can (or can't) do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now theres something new,waiting........................

meelk said:
everyone worrying about fps, and I care more for H.264 acceleration, and Adaptive AA :D

yeah same here. new improved anistropic filtering, adaptive aa, h.264 acceleration, HDR and AA at the same time, those are the things im interested in. couldnt give a rats ass if it beats the 7800GTX, would be nice but its not a top priority.

For a second there I was suprised by the sheets. Then I saw that it was in %s. By wens we will be seeing some ture comparisons and it should be a good fight.
I predict a 6800U vs. a x850XT PE situation. And when nVidia perfects their Dual Core drivers, for Dual Core players the effects will be less pronounced. For me and anyone with a Geforce 7 series SLI with Dual Cores we are safe for quite a while. THe only things that can take us is a perfect Xfire. ANd then at that point comparison becomes meaningless for those who do not Bench.

Good job ATI, you aint dead yet.
By the way, what is H. 264?

Ya know what would be interesting. Is for people so hyped up on one card over another. To do a comparrasion between the two cards in actualy game play and see if they can even tell the differance.

Me I been waiting for ATI's next card I just like ATI. Nvidia made a fine card in there 7800 solution. But when it was released I hadnt decided to do any upgrades yet.Now I am and the new ATI will be my card of choice.

But their really isnt any software out today that will make either card unplayible. A lot of people are still running cards from 3 generations ago. And quite happy with their gameplay. Both cards will be in peoples machines for years to come.

Electornics is baby steps just like a lot of things in life.

The 78000GTX is still gonna to have a slight fill rate advatange albeit a slower MB. So I dont expect these scores to be that far apart espically when things are more fill rate limited. Where you will see the R520 shine in a few areas (ie more features) as well as AA modes. Just because NV says FP HDR and AA is too slow..does not mean it is for ATI :)

*gasp* A positive rumor spread :eek:

Thank god. Just 1 more day for real results

:eek: *gasp*
ANOTHER thread where people argue the current top of the line card vs something that they have never seen before.. :rolleyes:

wizzackr said:
come on, man, it's not that long anymore, really ;)
And this is going to be a hard launch or a paper launch. We might still have to wait for the acual products.

^ with all the production rumousr Ive heard I dont think Ati will be lacking Quantity this time around. TSMC and some other Fab is producing the Cores right?
I thought the [H] had a link to a news source that said that.

^eMpTy^ said:
if they were using retail cards, they would have said so...they would love to be able to say they beat an "overclocked" gtx...

in the end, what's fair is however it comes out of the box with a warranty...if that's 490mhz...then fine...the gtx is a bit special in this area...it's the most factory overclocked card I've ever seen by far...

Wait, I'm a bit confused with your logic. You are saying that the standard reference X1800XT should be compared to the out-of-the-box overclocked 7800GTX, instead of the 7800GTX's standard reference clocks. If you so much wish to compare overclocked results, comparing an overclocked card to a reference card is hardly fair. If a large majority GTX's came in their overclocked state, then fine. But I doubt that more than 50% of them retail pre-overclocked. What allows the overclocked 7800GTX's, which are not at Nvidia specified clocks, to be compared against an X1800XT at ATI reference clocks instead of an overclocked version as well?

Heh, and I'd also like to point out a mistake in the X1600 slide, ATI claims that the 6600 and 6600GT can do Transparency AA :p

bazylik said:
Wednesday will be the day when all hell breaks loose :D

actually, it can only get better - cannot get worse than the last months have been for sure :p

i havent read this whole thread, but i did do a search and found nothing - i think maybe the reason for 2 1800xl scores are one is the 512mb version, the other is the 256mb. i could be wrong. once i thought i was wrong, but i was mistaken.

vanilla_guerilla said:
i havent read this whole thread, but i did do a search and found nothing - i think maybe the reason for 2 1800xl scores are one is the 512mb version, the other is the 256mb. i could be wrong. once i thought i was wrong, but i was mistaken.

there is no x1800xl 512MB as far as we know. only a x1800xt 512MB

V99 said:
Wow... That looks so fake and a real lazy Photoshop if you ask me.

2x X1800XL when the top one should be XT.
Strange in all of the beachmarks... The 7800GTX is the SAME on everygame... and the XT is almost different on everygame.

Totally fake... and an exact 3Dmark05 score? Just a nice makeup job for sure.
And why does it look like a X850XT PE?.... You can see the Photoshop done there =\

While I noticed that the XL was listed twice, making authenticity questionable, your comment about the 7800GTX being the same on all benchmarks is taken improperly. If you will notice, the chart is actually a percentage. The 7800GTX represents the baseline, so it will be 100% across all tests.

^eMpTy^ said:
I'll talk Mhz and pipelines all I want...because to people who know what's going on inside these chips...it still means something...
Pipelines don't mean near as much as they used too...... Brent has been saying this since the release of the 7800 series.

As for Mhz, it is up to each company to decide how hard they can push their core. To ask reviewers to lower the core speed to match anothers is rediculous. The point is to test the card at the manufacture set speeds and see how they match up, which is what we will see in two days.

Based on the hype thus far and reading DFI is shipping misfire boards this week I am ready to start my "FS: 7800GTX" thread.

R1ckCa1n said:
Could be the day many NV f@nb0ys implode on this forum. :eek:

reverse could also be true. they could explode. jk.
i mean that the ati faction could be disappointed also. lets hope that the 2 cards(nvid/ati) are exactly the same, in all games, on all benchmarks, etc. then maybe the debate will stop for a bit.

vanilla_guerilla said:
reverse could also be true. they could explode. jk.
i mean that the ati faction could be disappointed also. lets hope that the 2 cards(nvid/ati) are exactly the same, in all games, on all benchmarks, etc. then maybe the debate will stop for a bit.
Very true. The info is coming more and more on other forums and it is all positive, which is a good change from the last six months.

I hope the x1800 series is a great card. In fact I hope it performs on par or a little better in some instances that the 7800. At first I though that the benchmarks provided on the sheet were a little high, but then again everyone said the marks for the GTX were high as well when rumors came out it (single card) was as fast as a SLI Ultra set up. As such I will hold my opinions until I see true gameplay results.

I think it would be great if the X1800's beat the crap out of the 7800's.

I guess you could call me a NV f@nb0y. I tried a 9700 pro and never could get the damn thing to run UT2003 without crashing my system. Luckily the Egg took it back and I bought a 5900 ultra. Yeah, it was a POS card but I plugged it in and it never crashed my system at all. Likewise for my current BFG 6800GT OC, except for the occasional crappy driver.

If the X1800's come out on top then NV will work that much harder to make their next card a winner, then ATI will work harder to make their next card even better. Better performance and prices for both sides. Ain't competition great! :D

icehole said:
If the X1800's come out on top then NV will work that much harder to make their next card a winner, then ATI will work harder to make their next card even better. Better performance and prices for both sides. Ain't competition great! :D
O yeah, compatition is GREAT!

Sc4freak said:
Wait, I'm a bit confused with your logic. You are saying that the standard reference X1800XT should be compared to the out-of-the-box overclocked 7800GTX, instead of the 7800GTX's standard reference clocks. If you so much wish to compare overclocked results, comparing an overclocked card to a reference card is hardly fair. If a large majority GTX's came in their overclocked state, then fine. But I doubt that more than 50% of them retail pre-overclocked. What allows the overclocked 7800GTX's, which are not at Nvidia specified clocks, to be compared against an X1800XT at ATI reference clocks instead of an overclocked version as well?

Heh, and I'd also like to point out a mistake in the X1600 slide, ATI claims that the 6600 and 6600GT can do Transparency AA :p

Most NV cards 6 and 7 series you see in stores are overclocked out of the box already. Walk into any compusa and other stores such as they have here in florida and 90% of them are OC or overclocked on the box. The cheapo cards lower than 6600 even are overclocked. Most people that I see buying 6600gt or better on boards like this have one that is pre overclocked as well. It's like a new fad with them. I could be wrong but when I see almost all OC cards in stores and readily available online and in sigs everywhere it looks pretty common.

Why is everyone so scpetical?
I think they might be real. but who knows.

Sc4freak said:
p

Well, its kinda simple really. If they compare it to reference stocks it is unfair. Why? THe average 7800GTX owner has AT LEAST 450 on the core. Let me explain. You seem to be under the impression that not all of them come in an overclock state. There is some truth to that. But ALL card vendors, excepting the cheaper end ones (like AOpen and Leadtek, I believe) are overclocked. When you want a 7800GTX you are most likely going to buy an eVGA, XFX, Gainward or BFG. So chances are when you BUY a card its going to be 450. When I window for a card, I don't want to know what it could be capable of, I want to know what the card I will buy it IS capable of. That is the out of box experience. And the out of box experience here is better than the reference. That is why they should test it against a retail card. That is what people will buy. So it makes for a better comparison.

wow if they are real thats pretty amazing..its what i expected from the next gen...

slyven said:
Well, its kinda simple really. If they compare it to reference stocks it is unfair. Why? THe average 7800GTX owner has AT LEAST 450 on the core. Let me explain. You seem to be under the impression that not all of them come in an overclock state. There is some truth to that. But ALL card vendors, excepting the cheaper end ones (like AOpen and Leadtek, I believe) are overclocked. When you want a 7800GTX you are most likely going to buy an eVGA, XFX, Gainward or BFG. So chances are when you BUY a card its going to be 450. When I window for a card, I don't want to know what it could be capable of, I want to know what the card I will buy it IS capable of. That is the out of box experience. And the out of box experience here is better than the reference. That is why they should test it against a retail card. That is what people will buy. So it makes for a better comparison.

If you think a 7%/14% bump in core speed will make a mega difference in a cards performance, then I believe you need to check the charts comparing 7800GTX performance at 430/460/490 speeds. Yes it does yield improvement....but not tremedously so. The reason is because nVidia went with the massively parallel route and therefore sometime distrubuting the data within the card can be the limitation. ATI this time around has gone the MHz route....to them a 7%/14% bump in speed may be a much larger gain.

-tReP

A card that comes "overclocked" from the factory isn't really overclocked. I don't care what marketing the card maker is putting on it, but that is standard speed for that particular line of cards. I own a BFG 7800GTX OC, and it isn't truely overclocked till I bump it up from what it was sent to me as.

It's like buying a "factory custom" car. Not really custom it it?

Because the 7800 Series came out with a variety of different stock speeds, it is "fair enough" that ATI is able to choose whatever stock speed card they would like to use for thier PR purposes. Let us, the enthusiasts, see if they hold up to thier claims. However, If they did choose the slowest of the stock speeds for thier PR spin it could come back to bite them.

Brent_Justice said:
Hi. What's going on this thread :D

Can you answer my question? Everyone else is in a heavy discussion of what is and isn't defined as reference and overclocked specs...

(Question: When it says 128-bit floating point precision' does that mean it will be using FPbb32 for HDR?)

Back