If ID had a steam like app would you dl Doom3?

RikuS

Gawd
Someone made the mistake of mentioning whether ppl will opt for a pirated copy of doom3 instead of buying it. Well since this is a anti-warez board (which is good) I pose a question, if ID had a steam-like service would you buy doom3 but instead of having the box and manual, downloading it? This would be completely legal, sort of like itunes music, if anyone needs a comparison.

-Rikus

I prefer boxed games, with the art and all...
But if i had gotten a coupon with a vid card, LIKE THE ONE FOR HL2 THAT HAS BEEN LYING ON MY DESK FOR MONTHS.... yes sure, i would download =)

I wouldn't, I love my boxed games. Theres something about being able to hold the product, and gawk at the nice manual/box that makes having a game more real.

If it save me a trip to the store hell yeah! Normally I walk in and come out 120 dollars pooreer!

M1ster_R0gers: i understand that! everytime i go into those store... i see a MX700 calling after me....and some LCDs too.....the problem is....i work in a computer store..
Every i have to resist, and not get my credit card out...... ehehe ;)

Yeah i do it all the time for MMORPG expansions when there's an option. I never keep the boxes and manual longer than a few days anyways... and as for things like maps, figurines, etc, i don't bother with that crap so i don't care.

moralpanic said:
Yeah i do it all the time for MMORPG expansions when there's an option. I never keep the boxes and manual longer than a few days anyways... and as for things like maps, figurines, etc, i don't bother with that crap so i don't care.
I agree, I was one of the retards who bought the SWG collectors edition....I see that box on my armior every night....collecting dust. I for one would like to download games too, just burn them on cd's or even give us the option of putting the game on one or two dvd's!

-RIkus

Off topic observation.....did anyone notice that there are 10 threads on games and gaming equipment with doom 3 in the title....I was thinking of starting another thread, but it would have to have doom 3 in the title!

-Rikus

Nay, I prefer something I can hold in my hands. Besides, if I do buy the download version, I'll burn it onto CD's so I can archive it. Which makes the whole point of downloading moot.

However, if the price is much cheaper then I might do it.

if i could start dling it right now then yes, best buy is beeing an ass

KoDt said:
if i could start dling it right now then yes, best buy is beeing an ass

I agree, If I could get it now vs. Tuesday, keep the box...it will just collect dust.

P.S. I do want it now. FFS :rolleyes:

Grinder66 said:
I agree, If I could get it now vs. Tuesday, keep the box...it will just collect dust.

P.S. I do want it now. FFS :rolleyes:
You bring a better point up, if they said price is 60 dollars download only, but you can get it a few days or a week before store date. I wonder if that would be better?

-Rikus

Cant imagine downloading 6 cd's worth of files. It would take days on my 1mbit connection. Wouldn't it?

ChiMan said:
However, if the price is much cheaper then I might do it.
Thats what I think. For instance, Best Buy has the advertised price at $54.99. If I could download it for $10-20 cheaper then I would just download it. I plan on downloading HL2 when its available. Steam is far more stable now.

I would download the game just so iD could get more money.

I heard a quote from Gabe (or someone from Valve) that they get 2.5X more of the money from people downloading rather than buying the box set.

There is so much money lost in the path from developer to customer, but not with Steam.

Well, the "lost" money isnt lost.... its money that is use to get pay the middle mans (the cd manufacturer, the company who prints the manuals and all..)

Face it, maybe you dont know "Joe The Packager", but you know a guy called Gabe (who is probably very rich). Who should get the extra money? Gabe ? Or Joe who's probably working minimum wadge.

id rather put my hand at the wheel, than save 15$ by downloading...but thats just me

Met-AL said:
Cant imagine downloading 6 cd's worth of files. It would take days on my 1mbit connection. Wouldn't it?
Doom3 is 3CD which is about 2.1GB, and that takes less than a day to download even on a slow DSL line. Unless you're on a dial up... :D

Buckaroo Banzai said:
Thats what I think. For instance, Best Buy has the advertised price at $54.99. If I could download it for $10-20 cheaper then I would just download it. I plan on downloading HL2 when its available. Steam is far more stable now.

yeah ill be downloading hl2 as well as i have an ATI cupon, eventually ill buy a copy also, since ive had this cupon for ages it doesnt seem like a waste of money to buy it also. Plus this way i have 2 accounts on steam, its always nice to have one for a friend/brother to use when he comes over or something.

The good thing is that steam will probably allow you to DL hl2 around a week before it hits the stores, so it will probably be finisehd by the time its unlocked for play. This is how they did it with CZ, people were worried that they would have to wait for DL time to play, but really you can DL it before its even out.

Sort of related, but how does downloading CS:CZ work? What if you have to reformat or something? If you can get another copy free of charge, I don't see any reason not to download it.

nlz242 said:
Well, the "lost" money isnt lost.... its money that is use to get pay the middle mans (the cd manufacturer, the company who prints the manuals and all..)

Face it, maybe you dont know "Joe The Packager", but you know a guy called Gabe (who is probably very rich). Who should get the extra money? Gabe ? Or Joe who's probably working minimum wadge.

id rather put my hand at the wheel, than save 15$ by downloading...but thats just me

Um i'll rather the money go to the guy called Gabe, who may be worth a few million already, but he's the one that's actually MAKING the game, not just selling it. It takes no skill to ring up something on a cash register, bag it, and hand it to you... that's why they're making minimum wage.

If downloading games is the future, then it'll mean retail gaming stores are in for a rough ride. We live in a market economy, which means that generally the suppliers attempt to supply the demands to us as cheaply and efficiently as they can. You may think it's worth it to spend $10 or wait for a game to hit a retailer to buy it from them instead of downloading it because you want to support the minimum wage employees, but i won't. Everytime progress happens, it means the old ways die off. You don't think people (like the Union) complained when the automotive industries robotized their assemblies, and costed thousands upon thousands of jobs? Of course people lost their job, but then those who lost their job shifted to another part of the workforce, and in the end, it was better for everybody.

Things are streamlined all the time, and if downloading games becomes the standard, it will mean we the consumer chose it, and we'll only switch if it actually is better or cheaper.

Imagine if everyone started downloading their games instead of going to the store: Joe the Packager might just become Joe the Custodian at Valve.

ChiMan said:
Doom3 is 3CD which is about 2.1GB, and that takes less than a day to download even on a slow DSL line. Unless you're on a dial up... :D

Looks like it's twelve CD's

doom3-12.jpg

I take it that picture is a chop then.

EDIT: Found the same picture on PlanetDoom without the note and hand and only six CD's.

Met-AL said:
I take it that picture is a chop then.
I say that's an interesting choice of image because Fairlight and Orion are known piracy groups (they were the one's accused of stealing the HL2 source, that's where I first heard about them).

Why wouldn't you download as long as you have broadband and the game is the same price? Who wants to make a trip out for a game ;)

MemoryInAGarden said:
Why wouldn't you download as long as you have broadband and the game is the same price? Who wants to make a trip out for a game ;)
I want a pewter figurine of a demon of some sort. :(

lorcani said:
Sort of related, but how does downloading CS:CZ work? What if you have to reformat or something? If you can get another copy free of charge, I don't see any reason not to download it.

If you buy CZ or anything through steam, you would be setting up an account (email, username and password)
You can then download all the files needed and the subsequent updates as many times as
you need to.

You can dowload to 4 machines at home, but only one user login at a time...errr something like that.

kuyaglen said:
If you buy CZ or anything through steam, you would be setting up an account (email, username and password)
You can then download all the files needed and the subsequent updates as many times as
you need to.

You can dowload to 4 machines at home, but only one user login at a time...errr something like that.
Alright. If Doom 3 did that, I would definitely at least consider downloading it versus buying it in box.

lorcani said:
I say that's an interesting choice of image because Fairlight and Orion are known piracy groups (they were the one's accused of stealing the HL2 source, that's where I first heard about them).

Not into pirating and warez...didn't know what Fairlight and Orion were. I realized it was an obvious chop when I saw the same photo at planetdoom, but with only 6 discs and no hand or note.

Met-AL said:
Not into pirating and warez...didn't know what Fairlight and Orion were. I realized it was an obvious chop when I saw the same photo at planetdoom, but with only 6 discs and no hand or note.
I thought the same. Just making sure people know. ;)

Back