If I liked sky rim will I like witcher 3

Yes. Except for the fact that you are playing a premade character with a "guild" he belongs to. But as a sandbox RPG Witcher 3 does everything better than Skyrim did.

Skyrim was more about the adventure you create, where The Witcher is about the adventure thrust on you...

Ive tried all 3 witchers.. could never get into any of them.. skyrim have over 2K hrs in it.. to me witcher just didnt cut it..

To me witcher 3 is Mass Effect + Skyrim with most of the bs ironed out. Answer is, probably yes.

play styles are completely different

games that are basically the same play mechanics as skyrim are as follows
Fallout 3
fallout new vegas
fallout 4
oblivion

If you want a fun, well-told story with interesting characters, TW3 every time. If you don't like having a character's name and appearance forced on you, or if you want to play a mod management meta-game, or you otherwise have a hard-on for Bethesda's incredibly soulless and desolate theme parks, Skyrim.

Depends, Skyrim is more of a sandbox RPG while Witcher 3 is a story driven RPG. I've put over 400+ hours on Skyrim but less than 20 on Witcher. Both great RPG games but largely different playstyles.

Well they said the same thing about oblivion and witcher 2, and witcher 2 was nothing like oblivion. I loved oblivion, even more than Skyrim. But Witcher 2 turned out to be a laughable comparison with it's predefined storyline, forced character and linear semi-open world.

If witcher3 has anything in common with witcher2 then the answer is not necessarily.

But Witcher 2 turned out to be a laughable comparison with it's predefined storyline

If you prefer the 'predefined storyline' of Oblivion you're crazy. Talk about laughable.

The answer is "depends, WHY do you like skyrim?".

Do you want better story, better quests, better characters and better combat? Play TW3.

Do you want to roll cheese down a mountain and absolutely require that you get to name your own character, then don't.

(I completed Oblivion and played Skyrim for 69 hours)

Last edited:
Well they said the same thing about oblivion and witcher 2, and witcher 2 was nothing like oblivion. I loved oblivion, even more than Skyrim. But Witcher 2 turned out to be a laughable comparison with it's predefined storyline, forced character and linear semi-open world.

If witcher3 has anything in common with witcher2 then the answer is not necessarily.

Witcher 3 is more open world than 2 but still not truley open world as certain zones are divided, this was probably due to consolitis.

If you prefer the 'predefined storyline' of Oblivion you're crazy. Talk about laughable.

Do you want better story, better quests, better characters and better combat? Play TW3.

Do you want to roll cheese down a mountain and absolutely require that you get to name your own character, then don't.

1) I think the Oblivion storyline was pretty decent. TW3 has been more of a hide n seek adventure.
2) Better story? Debatable. Better quests? Maybe. Better characters? I can agree with that. Better combat? Eh.. TW3 combat starts to degrade a bit and it's largely unrefined. Skyrim combat is not much better but I feel more in control when I swing my sword.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 is more open world than 2 but still not truley open world as certain zones are divided, this was probably due to consolitis.

This is such a dumb argument. Using this logic, TW3 would become "truly open world" (and presumably then a better game) if we simply cut away Skellige, Kaer Morhen, etc.

And the reason is unlikely to be 'consolitis', more likely due to content creation work-flow issues, or simply because it allows you to have truly different environments without having to create pointless filler in between (".. and here's the 10km of nothing where we fade into the snow region")

There's no value in "truly open world", yet people keep harping on about it. Skyrim? The shining light of "truly open world? A game where for the most part, I seem to remember, you stop'n'load into interiors...

1) I think the Oblivion storyline was pretty decent. TW3 has been more of a hide n seek adventure.
2) Better story? Debatable. Better quests? Maybe. Better characters? I can agree with that. Better combat? Eh.. TW3 combat starts to degrade a bit and it's largely unrefined. Skyrim combat is not much better but I feel more in control when I swing my sword.

Well, the comparison was Oblivion vs TW2, not TW3. I'm not done with TW3 so not really into discussing it.

I've played Witcher (the first one) and I found it to be very linear. It sounds like the subsequent versions are less so. Is that the case?

I've played Witcher (the first one) and I found it to be very linear. It sounds like the subsequent versions are less so. Is that the case?

TW2 is linear like Crysis 2 was linear. It's basically guided level design. TW3 is open world on the scale of games like STALKER.

This is such a dumb argument. Using this logic, TW3 would become "truly open world" (and presumably then a better game) if we simply cut away Skellige, Kaer Morhen, etc.

And the reason is unlikely to be 'consolitis', more likely due to content creation work-flow issues, or simply because it allows you to have truly different environments without having to create pointless filler in between (".. and here's the 10km of nothing where we fade into the snow region")

There's no value in "truly open world", yet people keep harping on about it. Skyrim? The shining light of "truly open world? A game where for the most part, I seem to remember, you stop'n'load into interiors...

Well you have your opinion I have mine. TW3 suffered many downgrades due to consoles. The game already suffers performance wise on consoles so it's no doubt they cut corners. I feel much more immersed in a world that can transition seamlessly than one where I am forced to teleport/fast travel places.

Yes I prefer the storyiline of Oblivion. I absolutely had no interest in TW2's storyline mainly becasue the main chracter is an a-hole, and does things that I want to kick his face in for, and I have absolutely no control over it. In oblivion I do what I want, and I go where I want. I've spent hours on TW2 and the story failed to capture me.

Yes Oblivion's main story line is basic, but at the least it doesn't make you do things that I'm not comfortable doing. And the sidequests and freedom more than makes up for the main quest. You don't play oblivion solely to finish the main quest, if you do then I can see how witcher can seem to be better.

Well, the comparison was Oblivion vs TW2, not TW3. I'm not done with TW3 so not really into discussing it.

Calling arguments dumb is not a counter argument, just for future reference.

A game is either open world, or not, there is no grey area here. TW is not open world, Skyrim is. End of the argument.

And if someone wants an open world you can't tell them that it's not important. Because obviously it's important to them. There is no right and wrong here, you're both right, you just want different things.

And to those who want an open world it's completely irrelevant why tw3 is not open world.

Loading into interiors in skyrim took about 2 seconds as I remember. Why is it a problem for you?

I never played TW3, but I did play DA:I and Skyrim feels much more open regardless of loading into interiors or not. The point is not loading but the fact that you can go anywhere in the game world that you can physically reach. DAI never offered that freedom. Even within it's areas there is a very linear feel, as you have to take certain paths to reach certain areas, and can't choose your own route most of the time. Now I don't know how TW3 compares but I guess it's closer to DAI.

A game is either open world, or not, there is no grey area here. TW is not open world, Skyrim is. End of the argument.

TW3 is 'open world' for reasonable definitions.

I never played TW3

You don't say.

And to those who want an open world it's completely irrelevant why tw3 is not open world.

TW3 is open world. HTH. HAND.

What TW3 is not is /sandbox/. That is a valid argument and a valid preference.

Loading into interiors in skyrim took about 2 seconds as I remember. Why is it a problem for you?

Doesn't seem very open, just saying. I don't see how having to stop'n'load between the five places is worse than having to stop'n'load between hundreds.

It seems the "OMG it's not truly open world!" has grown into some sort of bizarre religious technicallity.

Imagine we have Skyrim and we now add the ability to fast-travel (only) back and forth to Morrowind. Only insane people would now say that so updated, Skyrim is not open world.

Yes Oblivion's main story line is basic, but at the least it doesn't make you do things that I'm not comfortable doing.

Now I feel a bit sad for you. That's exactly what games are perfect for. Doing things you're not comfortable doing is how you grow as a person.

And the sidequests and freedom more than makes up for the main quest. You don't play oblivion solely to finish the main quest, if you do then I can see how witcher can seem to be better.

At least Oblivion had the dark brotherhood and that paranoid guy. I can't remember a single side-quest from Skyrim worth a damned.

No, I didn't just play through the main story, I play CRPGs in a completionist way. Which is probably why I burned out on Skyrim.

Really? I just hope that OP puts more time into playing video games of his interests, then his effort in making threads.

If I like orange juice, will I like Apple juice?
I like horror flicks, will I like comedies?
Like really?
How the hell can anyone assume correctly on what you like with a few question marks and a vague comparison of two different games ?
What made you like Skyrim?
What makes you compare Skyrim to your new interest aka TW3?
What do you like in RPGS?
What do you hate?
Do you like raunchy dark stories?
Or do you prefer cheesy cartoony cliche stories?
Do you like an in depth combat system? Or a basic one?
Do you like crafting? Do you like adventuring?

So many questions to fill...

Calling arguments dumb is not a counter argument, just for future reference.

TW is not open world, Skyrim is. End of the argument.

I never played TW3,

The Witcher 3 is open world.

Actually isn't TW also somewhat an open world? Sure it's not go where ever, but it is go wherever in the region you are placed in. It's not linear like TW2.

But yea, TW3 is definitely open world.

If you want a fun, well-told story with interesting characters, TW3 every time. If you don't like having a character's name and appearance forced on you, or if you want to play a mod management meta-game, or you otherwise have a hard-on for Bethesda's incredibly soulless and desolate theme parks, Skyrim.

He already said he liked Skyrim so that rant was entirely pointless.

Skyrim and Witcher 3, as others have said, are quite different. Both have a semi-open world with side quests to discover, but the gameplay in Skyrim is more button-mashy whereas Witcher 3 is slightly less button-mashy. :p

Actually isn't TW also somewhat an open world? Sure it's not go where ever, but it is go wherever in the region you are placed in. It's not linear like TW2.

But yea, TW3 is definitely open world.

TW1 was similar to STALKER. Large zones but you had to transition a lot to different areas like towns and villages.

TW3 is about as open world as it gets. There are 3 main areas, each about as big as Morrowind and full of towns and sidequests to do, and you go between each of them depending where the story wants you to be. Or you can say fuck it and explore them to your hearts content. Its nothing like DA:I. Anyone saying Witcher 3 is not open world has not played the game and is talking out of their ass.

Now I feel a bit sad for you. That's exactly what games are perfect for. Doing things you're not comfortable doing is how you grow as a person.

What I'm not comfortable doing is what is against my morals. So doing unethical and morally questionable things is how you grow as a person. Is that what you're saying? Sorry to disappoint you but I'd rather do things that I feel good about.

TW3 is 'open world' for reasonable definitions.

Doesn't seem very open, just saying. I don't see how having to stop'n'load between the five places is worse than having to stop'n'load between hundreds.

It seems the "OMG it's not truly open world!" has grown into some sort of bizarre religious technicallity.

Imagine we have Skyrim and we now add the ability to fast-travel (only) back and forth to Morrowind. Only insane people would now say that so updated, Skyrim is not open world.

I think you have a different definition of open world than the rest of the world. Open world doesn't mean there is no loading. It means the world is open to explore, as in you can go anywhere within the game area without restriction. If the game world is cut up to multiple pieces and there is no gap between them then it's still open world. But as soon as there is a gap it becomes partially open, as you have no way to explore the in between area.

But I agree that this difference shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Last edited:
What I'm not comfortable doing is what is against my morals. So doing unethical and morally questionable things is how you grow as a person. Is that what you're saying? Sorry to disappoint you but I'd rather do things that I feel good about.

I think you have a different definition of open world than the rest of the world. Open world doesn't mean there is no loading. It means the world is open to explore, as in you can go anywhere within the game area without restriction. If the game world is cut up to multiple pieces and there is no gap between them then it's still open world. But as soon as there is a gap it becomes partially open, as you have no way to explore the in between area.

But I agree that this difference shouldn't be a deciding factor.

By that token skyrim is only a limited open world as there are invisible walls. I know because I don't like to take set paths.

Yes. Except for the fact that you are playing a premade character with a "guild" he belongs to. But as a sandbox RPG Witcher 3 does everything better than Skyrim did.

No way TW3 does mods better than Skyrim. Nope nope. :D

No way TW3 does mods better than Skyrim. Nope nope. :D

Ok, I'll give you that. But then again Beth is a class of its own when it comes to modding. :)

Although apparently CDP is making a toolkit for Witcher 3 so maybe that will change at some point. But then again FO4 is right around corner so the timing for it is quite bad.

I have not played TW3 for too long, I have played Skyrim for waaay too long, but something immediately apparent is TW3 has a pre-set character who you follow through the story line via occasional cut scenes, like a movie. It's a good story and you want to follow it along, it's just more like you're watching it happen. Skyrim makes you define the protagonist yourself, and the story advances without third person movie like cut-scene--the story is happening to you. You are in the first person experiencing the narrative push forward at all times. From a "fun" perspective it's pretty subjective which one is better, if that is something important to you.

I felt like both games were different and fun in their own way.

I thought Skyrim was soulless and hollow. TW3 has been quite a bit better to me.

Back