• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

If I have a 4850...

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
11,610
....what would be the equivalent on the Nvidia side? Basically, I'm still considering an upgrade to a quieter card, but I don't want to take a step back in term of performance. I'm pretty sure I know the answers for the ATI side, but if I were to consider an Nvidia card, what would be the level or line that anything below it would be a drop back in performance compared to my current 4850? How does a 250 compare?
 
The 9800GTX+ and the GTS 250 are pretty close. They would be the closest ones, but I really don't think they're any quieter. I made the switch from a sapphire 4850 to an EVGA 9800GTX+ and while folding is way better, it's hotter and noisier
 
That would be the second part of my comparisons. If I stay ATI, it would likely be an HIS brand. If I go with Nvidia, it would be to a brand with a good quiet cooler, so I'd have some research to do there.
 
I have an Asus 4850 TOP card, it's got an aftermarket cooler and I can't hear it over the other fans at all in my case.
 
A 5750 is essentially the same performance, but will be quieter, or the 5770 for a bit of an upgrade (~4870, give or take).
 
Why replace the whole card? Just replace the part that makes noise.

If you're just looking into getting a quieter card, it's kind of a waste to replace the whole thing unless you want a minor upgrade. I'm with this guy in replacing the cooler. You'll probably get a cooler card and open up some room for overclocking if you're interested in that.

On the other hand if you just want to dump the 4850 I'd figure the 9800GT's are the same more or less for performance. I think the 250's are a little faster. I just "upgraded" from a 9600GT to a 4850. I gave my old 9600GT to my nephew who was dying to have any video card, but the 4850 is quite a bit faster than the 9600GT. I'd really need a faster processor to maximize benefits. Soon enough :D.
 
On the other hand if you just want to dump the 4850 I'd figure the 9800GT's are the same more or less for performance. I think the 250's are a little faster. I just "upgraded" from a 9600GT to a 4850. I gave my old 9600GT to my nephew who was dying to have any video card, but the 4850 is quite a bit faster than the 9600GT. I'd really need a faster processor to maximize benefits. Soon enough :D.

The 4850 is ~= 9800GTX+. It will be a decent bit faster than an 8800/9800 GT, and more or less the same speed as the GTS 250.
 
....what would be the equivalent on the Nvidia side? Basically, I'm still considering an upgrade to a quieter card, but I don't want to take a step back in term of performance. I'm pretty sure I know the answers for the ATI side, but if I were to consider an Nvidia card, what would be the level or line that anything below it would be a drop back in performance compared to my current 4850? How does a 250 compare?

They answered the questions about Nvidia's equivalent but let me play the devils advocate here and ask why you want a nvidia card. right now Nvidia is doing well at the 200 price point (well is an understatement) but as your looking at the 85 to 130 range here (you can get a new 4870 for around 90 AR) you can forget Nvidia, ATI cleans the floor with them at this level. in power, heat and noise. now they have had some pretty good deals on the 460GTX 768mb versions if you can get the budget. outside of that I would get a 5770, you can get a HIS 5770 for 135AR last time I looked.

if your not in a hurry Nvidia is going to be releasing some cards right in that range in the near future.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not against replacing the cooler, but from what I saw of the costs, it seems like a lot to keep the same card, although I wouldn't be against a quieter cooler. I also wouldn't mind an upgrade either, since I am playing games on a 22" 1650x1080 monitor. Any extra power helps.

I'm also not dead set on either brand. I'm more familiar with the ATI side, so that's why I was askin about Nvidia...just to gather facts. I honestly had no idea what was equivalent to my 4850, so if I found any good deals, I wouldn't know if it was an upgrade or a downgrade. I originally planned on getting a HIS 5770 for a good price, but figured I'd ask around first. Although, from what I read, the 5770 is an upgrade in features only...isn't much in terms of performance over my 4850. If I am going to stay in place performance wise, I'd probably just get a new cooler.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket cooler, just for comparison sake?
 
Think of it this way, most aftermarket coolers for ATI have fit the same all the way back to x1900 days, so if you go that route there's a good chance you'll be able to use the same cooler on future card purchases also.
 
Although, from what I read, the 5770 is an upgrade in features only...isn't much in terms of performance over my 4850. If I am going to stay in place performance wise, I'd probably just get a new cooler.

No, the 5750 would be an upgrade in features only. The 5770 is definitely faster. It is about as fast as a 4870 1GB or GTX 260. It won't be a huge upgrade, but it is definitely an upgrade.
 
What PSU do you have and what kind of usage do you plan for your system? If you're going AMD again, the 5770 is a good deal because you can get it under $120 after rebates.
 
Right now I have a 600W OCZ PSU, that seems to be more than plenty fo my system. I do some basic gaming with StarCraft 2 and CoD:MW2, and nothing is overclocked.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not against replacing the cooler, but from what I saw of the costs, it seems like a lot to keep the same card, although I wouldn't be against a quieter cooler. I also wouldn't mind an upgrade either, since I am playing games on a 22" 1650x1080 monitor. Any extra power helps.

I'm also not dead set on either brand. I'm more familiar with the ATI side, so that's why I was askin about Nvidia...just to gather facts. I honestly had no idea what was equivalent to my 4850, so if I found any good deals, I wouldn't know if it was an upgrade or a downgrade. I originally planned on getting a HIS 5770 for a good price, but figured I'd ask around first. Although, from what I read, the 5770 is an upgrade in features only...isn't much in terms of performance over my 4850. If I am going to stay in place performance wise, I'd probably just get a new cooler.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket cooler, just for comparison sake?

Accelero S1 r.2 - $26 Shipped
http://www.eworldsale.com/arctic-co...-for-geforce-7950radeon-x1950_8820_27985.html

Just add any 800rpm or greater fan and some zip ties and you'll see ~40*C idle temps and sub 60*C load temps while being essentially silent :thumbup:
 
get an HR03 and be done with it :) add on the fact that mine has worked across 4 video cards and it has been an investment :)

right now its cooling my 4870 with a slow 92mm fan that can't be heard (even if you put your ear to the case).. and mine is the the A02 revision of the HR03

Trust me when i say just upgrading to find a quieter card won't produce nearly the results of just upgrading your cooler.


and if you want an upgrade i would just factor in the cost of an HR03 in my upgrade for the new card. If you get a cooler card than the 4850 you may even be able to go passive on the HR03 with just some good case air flow.
 
get an HR03 and be done with it :) add on the fact that mine has worked across 4 video cards and it has been an investment :)

right now its cooling my 4870 with a slow 92mm fan that can't be heard (even if you put your ear to the case).. and mine is the the A02 revision of the HR03

Trust me when i say just upgrading to find a quieter card won't produce nearly the results of just upgrading your cooler.


and if you want an upgrade i would just factor in the cost of an HR03 in my upgrade for the new card. If you get a cooler card than the 4850 you may even be able to go passive on the HR03 with just some good case air flow.
This is partially correct...the 5 series of video cards have a die shrink over the 4 series, which enables them to run a LOT cooler. I had a TRad-2 on me 4870 with 2 92mm Yate Loons and it performed flawlessly, never went over 55c on full load.

If you are looking for an upgrade and a reduction in heat, noise, and power consumption go with the 5770.

Currently I have a 5850, 4850, 9600GT, 4870....the 5770 sounds like the best fit for you as it runs MUCH cooler than the 4850.
 
If I stick with my 4850, what are your thoughts on the Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro?
 
The L2 is OK but IMO it will be kind of loud. An accelero S1 with a 120mm fan strapped to it will be nearly silent and perform better.
 
Back
Top