IE Problem

DigitalMP said:
Well that sure cleaned up.

How about the SpyBot monitor? Try ditching that. Did you remove it before?

dident remove it before, it will cause issues with spybot
I really thing this is not just a IE problem
but settings in windows because the cursor is a block instead of the line
not sure if that matters, but it seems to be more than just IE

cause issues? you can always turn it back on. you make it seem like having the spybot monitor is essential to pc health. it's not.

take the band-aid off of the cut on your arm so you can clean the shit out of it.

tell the fat-ass 350 lb. tackle to get out of the way so you can run in for the score.

DigitalMP said:
cause issues? you can always turn it back on. you make it seem like having the spybot monitor is essential to pc health. it's not.

take the band-aid off of the cut on your arm so you can clean the shit out of it.

tell the fat-ass 350 lb. tackle to get out of the way so you can run in for the score.

lol, this has been going on for 2 months now before spybott had been installed

well hey, by all means, don't ditch spybot. it might blow up the box.

you've been working on this thing for two months and you haven't wiped it???? that poor customer...

DigitalMP said:
well hey, by all means, don't ditch spybot. it might blow up the box.

you've been working on this thing for two months and you haven't wiped it???? that poor customer...

No, we have had it 3 days, she has been living with it for the last few months
Formatting is not the answer to everything, get smarter and find the answers

I really think it is settings in Windows or display settings which everything looks fine so far, I updated the video drivers too, here is a pic outside IE
pic

After removing norton it dident fix it, so i reloaded norton and installed firefox
Firefox works fine... but nothing else seems to.
..... :confused:

well, good luck. but you might try reinstalling the OS. something has to be corrupted somewhere, unless there's some undetected malware, which it doesn't seem, but you know things aren't always what they seem.

on that note, uninstalling spybot will not hurt anything, and you won't notice any changes between now and later, especially if you turn on spysweeper or ms antispyware.
just make sure that firewall is running if you're on the web.

i'm not sure of a good registry cleaner, but that might be another route to take.
also, i don't know if process guard fixes, or just protects...

check the Rampant Paranoia sticky in this forum. that's basically the tell-all for hijacked pc issues.

edit: what's in italics is virtually irrelevant, based on your last post.

DigitalMP said:
well, good luck. but you might try reinstalling the OS. something has to be corrupted somewhere, unless there's some undetected malware, which it doesn't seem, but you know things aren't always what they seem.

on that note, uninstalling spybot will not hurt anything, and you won't notice any changes between now and later, especially if you turn on spysweeper or ms antispyware.
just make sure that firewall is running if you're on the web.

i'm not sure of a good registry cleaner, but that might be another route to take.
also, i don't know if process guard fixes, or just protects...

check the Rampant Paranoia sticky in this forum. that's basically the tell-all for hijacked pc issues.

edit: what's in italics is virtually irrelevant, based on your last post.

We even did a repair on windows today, did not format/reload just repaired system files and still did not fix anything

try running an online trendmicro vscan.

i'm seriously running out of suggestions here. i mean, nothing is running...is there anything suspicious listed in add/remove programs?

DigitalMP said:
try running an online trendmicro vscan.

i'm seriously running out of suggestions here. i mean, nothing is running...is there anything suspicious listed in add/remove programs?

nope, the box is clean as a whistle

edit: running house call now see how it comes up

This reminds me of a problem with fonts when you use something other than the default size fonts. Check the browser's font settings and see if it's forced to a certain size font. I don't think I've seen that mentioned yet.

SmokeRngs said:
This reminds me of a problem with fonts when you use something other than the default size fonts. Check the browser's font settings and see if it's forced to a certain size font. I don't think I've seen that mentioned yet.

Yeah, i have checked the fonts, everything is normal there

Yeah, and since the matter persists in area outside of the browser, I'm ruling out any browser issues.

DigitalMP said:
Yeah, and since the matter persists in area outside of the browser, I'm ruling out any browser issues.

Yep, that scan came clean last night, so i am now clueless to what it can be
going to do some research today and see if i can find anything...

Does it only occur in "Microsoft" apps?

Is there an optional Windows Update on your list that might refer to something of this flavor?

DigitalMP said:
Does it only occur in "Microsoft" apps?

Is there an optional Windows Update on your list that might refer to something of this flavor?

Could check the updates, it seems to be in microsoft apps because firefox works just fine...

DigitalMP said:
Hopefully it's in there...maybe just an outdated version of ActiveX
You know... i've never checked that downloading the latest now and see what happens
Edit:the only thing that seems to be workin fine is firefox

Since your system looks so clean, I can only think of two things I would have not done yet if I were to press this matter:

1) Check the Add/Rmv Programs list for unknown apps. I wish you could export it to a text file, but it's not that simple. If you are unfamiliar with a list item, maybe post it in here before uninstalling it. Get rid of anything that says web, search, buddy, etc. For this troubleshooting phase, I would uninstall Spybot and AdAware, just in case they have been exploited and corrupted, based on the next suggestion...

2) Run DiamondCS ProcessGuard to see if and processes are attacking one another. There is a concept called "port knocking" (thanks IceCzar), where crackers will monitor your PC/router's port activity, and basically wait until they know a door will open, based on trends, and sneak their way in. They can then exploit a process to attack another one, rendering it useless, such as your AV app. In that instance, while your AV definitions may be current, it might still be unable to detect a known threat. This is why I suggested running an online scan with at trendmicro.com. One way to prevent this is to not install AV and firewall apps to their default locations, as detailed in the "Rampant Paranoia" sticky thread.

Ok All, i decied to mess around some
Found out it is USER SPECIFIC
I made a new account and was Fine... So i am totally lost
We had 2 other pc's come in with the same problem today
So i gotta find out just what is doing it exactlly.....

Ahhhh I was going to suggest that, but it only came to me now that I'm reading it.

The user having the problem - was that the only user on the machine previously? If so, is that user the administrator?

I've never had to address an administrator's profile issue. With others, you could log in as User B and delete (actually, backup/rename) User A's profile, which is essentially the folder that is titled [their username] under C:\Documents and Settings. When User A logs in again, that directory will be re-created, and the profile (Desktop, Start Menu, Favorites, etc.) will be that of default settings. Again, just rename the directory to "backup", in the event that there are Desktop icons and files that must be replaced, as well as the contents of My Documents.

I actually wrote an extensive How-to for troubleshooting local and roaming profiles a while back. FYI, roaming profiles are stored on a global server so that users can log in anywhere on the network that they are permitted, and will see the same Desktop, My Documents, etc.

Back