Idiotic Computer Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok well i was just thinking, that someone should start a thread about some funny storys of Man Vs Computer, or just some funny pics, ive got a couple. anything stupid, just for a laugh.

[i have the pic in a file, ill upload it to my site when i feel like it...]

Voltage alarms. Best invention ever. when the engineers designed them, they were thinking "we dont want to just alarm people to the fact that the voltages are wrong, we want their ears to bleed!". anywho someone in this forum, had a 6800U with onboard speaker, he installs it, boots it, and just after post he hears this alarm go off. turns computer off, searchs computer, finds that its coming from the graphics board, so he turns it on again, busts out the multimeter, checks current and voltages, everythings fine. so he turns it off, resets C-mos, turns it on, still the alarm. finally, removes the card, and bites the alarm off with his teeth. suprisingly it worked, just fine, no discolorization, nothing, card seems to be getting adaquate power.

the other personal fav of mine, is the dude who bought an AGP gfx card, and had a pci-e mobo. hmmmmmmmmm, doesnt quite fit, so he comes up with the wonderful idea of cutting the PCB, with siccors, to make it fit the pci-e slot..... upon realizing he was a dumbass, he came to me, told me to fix it. that was one job, the trusty saudering tool, couldnt fix...... he ended up buying a new card from me. so i made a couple bucks.

if you guys got something to add, please post.

edit: i spose, because i started this thread at 5AM means it really doesnt stand much of a chance to survive...

Eh, its the weekend, you can count the on the drunkard crowd from friday night like me.

My favorite was this chick in my dorm building freshman year who kept coming to me because her iMac was so slow (somehow I became the unofficial building tech-support guy) and all I had to do was close the multitude of apps she had running under the apple menu, This was pre-OSX (she had one of those white and blue CRT aboninations) and no matter how many times I explained to her how to close out stuff she wanted to be running she didn't get it. On the plus side it led to me sleeping with her for a few months so I can't really complain.

NulloModo said:
Eh, its the weekend, you can count the on the drunkard crowd from friday night like me.

My favorite was this chick in my dorm building freshman year who kept coming to me because her iMac was so slow (somehow I became the unofficial building tech-support guy) and all I had to do was close the multitude of apps she had running under the apple menu, This was pre-OSX (she had one of those white and blue CRT aboninations) and no matter how many times I explained to her how to close out stuff she wanted to be running she didn't get it. On the plus side it led to me sleeping with her for a few months so I can't really complain.
hah....well thats a geeks dream come true. :)

yea i was thinking that. how the hell do you pick someone up by showing off your computer skills, even if they are simply closing processes.

NulloModo said:
On the plus side it led to me sleeping with her for a few months so I can't really complain.
I knew I'd get to that part in your story sooner or later. Good work, sir.

MrWizard6600 said:
yea i was thinking that. how the hell do you pick someone up by showing off your computer skills, even if they are simply closing processes.

sorta chubby jewish chick + not being that picky + her roomate not being home = success

A couple quick ones:

A guy I knew had just got DSL cuz he heard how much faster it was. His ancient computer didn't have a NIC, but it did have a 56k modem. He tried to plug the RJ-45 into it....doesn't fit.... So him being the technologically-minded person that he is, he snipped the end off the RJ-45 and tried to connect the wires individually......only to realize his mistake, and go back to dial-up. :rolleyes:

A simple quote:
"I've been trying to fax with this scanner I got, but they said they never got it."

My favorite:

My uncle once bought a stick of PC2700 RAM to upgrade his PC. Thing was, his PC was still using PC100/133 RAM. So when he saw that there were two notches in the PC100 RAM, he decided to do what many computer illterate people would do: he proceeded to file two notches into the PC2700 RAM.

Needless to say, he just wasted $40. And I was laughing for weeks on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back