• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IDE vs AHCI?

jgallardo

n00b
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
7
I recently built a computer with a 128GB SSD (Crucial m4) as my primary hard drive and a Western Digital 1TB for other files.

When I start my computer up, I get this screen and I'm wondering if I should set SATA to AHCI mode? I'm not sure of the benefits either way so if anyone can help a n00b out, thanks!

photowdm.jpg
 
Honestly, the only difference I have personally seen at this point is the ability to hotswap a SATA-II/III drive.

Performance-wise, there is like a 1-3% performance difference between the two, and doesn't even amount to much, and is not noticeable.

As long as your OS is Windows and it is not already installed, you may as well choose AHCI for its features, but if you have already installed the OS, then just stick with IDE and you will be fine.

As Old Hippie has pointed out as well, AHCI is only supported on Intel chipsets, as AMD/NVIDIA chipsets do not include this feature, at least to my knowledge, without hacks/modifications.


I run a SSD in the netbook in my sig. It has an NVIDIA 730i chipset and does not support AHCI. However, I have flashed a heavily modified version of the system BIOS in order to include AHCI.

Even with a SSD, I have seen zero difference between it and IDE, just fyi.
 
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with IDE and not risk messing anything up by switching to AHCI. I've read that it can cause problems when switching after installing the OS. I'm curious as to why?
 
Because the AHCI drivers won't be installed and it needs the AHCI drivers to access the drive to install them so you get stuck in a catch 22. There are ways around it though easily enough.
 
without ahci, you will always be stuck in qd1. a vast majority of your writes and whatnot will be in qd1, but I would still enable ahci if you haven't installed windows yet.

does intel rst require ahci for trim?
 
Without AHCI you don't have NCQ. Not a big deal for the SSD, but it really impedes HDD random operations.
 
As Old Hippie has pointed out as well, AHCI is only supported on Intel chipsets, as AMD/NVIDIA chipsets do not include this feature, at least to my knowledge, without hacks/modifications.
Pretty close.....I said it wasn't implemented well. :)

I have seen AHCI settings on AMD MBs and official AMD drivers that include AHCI but the performance is lackluster to say the least.

Here's a nice discussion on AMD's AHCI drivers.

With IDE drives AHCI was just about useless but with SSDs it's a whole new ballgame.

Can't you use the MS drivers with an SSD?

Maybe they're better?
 
Yes set it to AHCI. It is very easy to tweak the registry to enable it; IF you haven't prior to windows install.
 
Yes set it to AHCI. It is very easy to tweak the registry to enable it; IF you haven't prior to windows install.
What is set to AHCI? :confused:

And if you're talking about the Intel easy AHCI fix, AFAIK that fix is only for Intel.

Edit....Never mind my confusion on what's set to AHCI. I read the post before my second cup of tea and I read "Yes it's set to AHCI" which was entirely wrong. My brain must be getting as bad as my hearing....not good! LOL!

Sorry Haiku214!

BUT, the easy registry fix is still only for Intel. It doesn't apply to AMD users.
 
Last edited:
LOL!

If I hafta do a rescue you know you're getting to the bottom of the barrel! :D

Wait a second, I remember you! Didn't my evil followers sacrifice you to the dark lord Intel?!

Guards! Sacrifice the heathen! :p
 
AHCI is only supported on Intel chipsets, as AMD/NVIDIA chipsets do not include this feature, at least to my knowledge, without hacks/modifications.

Not sure why you think it's Intel chipsets only; both my 630i and MCP7a based NVIDIA boards support AHCI.
 
You right. You don't need AHCI for TRIM, but you will probably see better performance using AHCI.
Yes on statement 1 (You right) but AHCI isn't an advantage unless you're using SSDs or just want to hotswap mechanical drives.

I believe enterprise mechanical drives, like this Seagate Cheetah 15K, can also benefit from AHCI.
 
Back
Top