IDE Mode versus AHCI

Chrisbe

n00b
I own a P5B Premium and have already set it up with a 150 Raptor drive in IDE mode. I have seen several discussions around using the AHCI instead and how this would need to be set before installing OS if planning to later use RAID. If I have no interest in MB RAID what is the main benefit to AHCI? Would rather not have to rebuild my system.

I don't have any numeric values anymore but I did use hdtach before and after and found no differences. Real life "feel" is no different either.

I own a P5B Premium and have already set it up with a 150 Raptor drive in IDE mode. I have seen several discussions around using the AHCI instead and how this would need to be set before installing OS if planning to later use RAID. If I have no interest in MB RAID what is the main benefit to AHCI? Would rather not have to rebuild my system.

NCQ (if your drive supports it)

you might try this (at your own risk) . I would make a restore point if vista has it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1159427

Ok, for those who read my "story" and are interested in the solution themself, here is how I solved the problem - let's start by saying I did not have to reinstall Windows XP. So, if you cannot install the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers from the OS because you did not install Windows XP on native mode SATA drive(AHCI) with the help of the F6 method, all you need to do is this:
1.extract the driver files from the Matrix Storage installer (you do this running the installer with the options -A - P <path>).
2.go to device manager, look for the IDE controller, chose update drivers and do not let windows search for drivers. Just go manually all the way and choose the extracted drivers. Ignore all warnings
3.Best of luck!

I forgot to provide one important piece of information. I am using Vista 64bit. Can I just switch from IDE to AHCI?

Back