id Software's Official DOOM3 Benchmarks

pxc said:
None of that contradicts what I wrote above. 1) The NV40 does have the transistors for FP32 throughout the pipeline (ATI decided not to for the reason given above, but nvidia did), 2) it doesn't require extra shader units (not even suggested in your quote) and 3) it said nothing about bandwidth (which isn't an issue as you suggested he said)

I'll remind you of your posts:
"Originally Posted by rancor
Well with 32 bit there is a incease of bandwidth that is needed, I think it was ATi's CEO that said this thats why the Fx line got screwed, they had everything but the bandwidth necessary to do it. Thats why they haven't done it yet."
[he didn't say that. the words "bandwidth" or "FX" don't appear in the entire article, and in no context does "competitor" or "competition" (the only 2 words used to describe the other company in the article) mention anything like you claimed]

"Originally Posted by rancor
Its not just bandwidth though ATi's CEO damit it might have been the CFO don't remember now, also mentioned 32 bit vs 24 bit needed 33% increase in everything from transistors, to number of pixel and vertex shaders to bandwidth.

The fx line didn't have any of those increases compaired to the the 9800."
[the first part is true, he did say that (33% transistor increase to support larger registers and data paths). the second part is not and is not even suggested in the interview (he does not say more PS/VS or bandwidth are necessary). Plus I answered the last part already... of course the NV3x supports FP32 throughout the pipeline. It uses more transistors, just like Nalasco suggests, but it IS in the NV3x/NV40]

Ok dude I'm going to spell this out for you, Ogl doesn't have support 24 bit fp what is ATi using?

ASK YOURSELF THIS.

Its either using 16 bit or 32 bit. Tell me what thier shaders look like to you, sure doesn't look like 16 bit to me.

If you can't read between the lines take a marketing class and read some pipeline docs seems like you can't put 1 and 1 together. What do you think Data Paths are they directly translate to bandwidth. I'm not talking about texture bandwidth either there is such a thing called polygon bandwidth, and vertex bandwidth and pixel bandwidth :D .

Shader computations depending on sets of instructions use less or more transistors. So technically if you have more instructions you are using more of a shader. The nV 6 class has more transistors per shader unit. "more shader caculations can be done, effectively equally more shaders"

burningrave101 said:
The 6800GT and 6800nu are readily available at quite a few places and more are showing up every day. The 6800u's have been shipping lately to. PNY just shipped out a bunch more and so did XFX. Gainward is shipping theirs.
I know. Fry's near me has plenty of the BFG 6800GT OC, PNY 6800GT and PNY 6800NU cards in stock. General availability of the 6800GT is still pretty poor overall and even newegg was gouging for the BFG 6800GT ($499). The 6800NUs have been readily available for a couple of weeks. There has not been a single x800 Pro available on a store shelf near me in LA County. But yeah, if you look around you can buy an x800 Pro or GT without too much effort. Maybe I exaggerated a little. ;)

Here's an x800XT PE!!!!! http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=9121&ad=pwatch only $999 and it's only a sapphire. That's $100 less than my whole system cost (minus monitor). :p

OMG i ph34r allstarshop.

are they kidding? $999? whoever buys that should be shot.

rancor said:
Ok dude I'm going to spell this out for you, Ogl doesn't have support 24 bit fp what is ATi using?

ASK YOURSELF THIS.
Dude, sorry. I don't feel like having you change the subject whenever you've been proven wrong. I answered/refuted each of your points using your own source article. I'm done with the subject.

Let's get back to Doom3 benchmarks.

denaps said:
OMG i ph34r allstarshop.

are they kidding? $999? whoever buys that should be shot.
They have the regular Sapphire x800 XT for $899 if you're on a budget. And shipping is free. ;)

$899...phew. that's a relief - i'm going to go ahead and put my order in.

jeff

Going to pick up a X800XT-PE for $449, i can get 3 of them all Oems, so i can ditch the X800Pro, Cant find a 6800U so maybe i can trade a XT and cash to someone for a 6800U hehe.

pxc said:
Dude, sorry. I don't feel like having you change the subject whenever you've been proven wrong. I answered/refuted each of your points using your own source article. I'm done with the subject.

Let's get back to Doom3 benchmarks.

Well either way ATi's "new ogl drivers" won't be able to close this performance gap thats what the whole point of that was. Never changed the topic that was my orginal statement and some asked why I said that. I gave the reason that I thought which was all based on logic. Granted it has some speculation but its an educated guess.

Go back to Dx9 performance on the Fx line why was it so bad, thier ogl performance was compairable to ATi's equievlent cards.

Doom 3 might be one game, Half Life 2 is coming out.

Tomb raider was an ATi fave but now the GF6 line caught up with that too. Guessing you will see the same with Half Life 2.

Marcdaddy said:
Going to pick up a X800XT-PE for $449, i can get 3 of them all Oems, so i can ditch the X800Pro, Cant find a 6800U so maybe i can trade a XT and cash to someone for a 6800U hehe.

Why dont you just get a 6800GT for 399 and OC it to ultra speeds? 1 slot 1 power hook up same speeds.

Dyslexic, I still want a 6800U but just because Doom 3 beats the X800XT-PE by a couple of FPS dont mean that much to me and getting a XT fpr $449 is cheap. If you could have a 6800GT for $399 or a x800XT-PE for $449 what would you buy?

fallguy said:
You could say the same thing about the 6800 GT. It was made because the X800 Pro was serious competition for the 6800U in some games.

Wrong, Nvidia released their cards first, which was the 6800 ultra, 6800GT, and the regular 6800. Reviewers received the ultra version to review. ATI then released their set of cards. How in the hell would Nvidia know to release the GT to counter the X800 pro if they didn't even know how the pro was gonna perform? The GTs clock speeds had already been finalized and it is always been the highest performance card being released first then downclocked versions being shipped afterwards. And the X800 pro was supposed to be ATIs flagship card until they heard that the 6800u was Nvidia's 16 pipeline monster so they countered with the XT PE. So Nvidia then sent the `ultra extreme' to reviewers for comparison...which hasn't been seen on the market yet, let alone for the 1 or 2 XT PEs that actually shipped.

So what the hell do i get the, the 6800 gt or the x800xt. sone day ati wins all, the next nvidia wins all!! WHICH IS IT!!

ok i havent read the WHOLE thread, so this might have been addressed...but

i tihnk its kinda weird the driver version on the ati cards...i havent seen hard use that naming convention with them...

also, they never say whether the x800 pro is a 128 MB card or a 256MB card, they dont say it either for the GT... i mean, opengl driver quality aside, a 128 mb framebuffer is gonna get toasted at 16x12 with ani/anti, i mean look at a 9800 256mb vs a 128mb in call o duty 16x12 6aa/16af.

i havent takin any side on this yet, but why arent these 2 variables listed?

seems fishy
DOPEFISHY

all x800 pros are 256mb, as are 6800 GTs...there is no need to state the obvious. And the driver version they used is actually Cat 4.9

where does it state that
4.9, and not all x800s are 256

wait im an idiot, sorry went on my friends word...i dont see a 128MB x800pro

i apologize

I'll still be getting the X800 XT-PE. Doom3 is the only game the Nvidia cards has been able to beat it at and i'm not going to buy a video card just for 1 game, that's just silly. All other games ATI owns. But I knew anyway the Nvidia cards would be better for Doom3 since Nvidia and id were working together. But ATI will be the better card for HL2 since ATI has been working with them.

Edit: But this makes me wonder about the new game coming out called F.E.A.R. It looks just as good if not better then Doom 3. I'll have to keep my eye on it and the GeForce ULTRA. I may switch to Nvidia after all...........

I would suggest not buying your card untill the game you wanna play is out, I did that last season, now ill be playing doom3 in 800x600 =P

Marcdaddy said:
Dyslexic, I still want a 6800U but just because Doom 3 beats the X800XT-PE by a couple of FPS dont mean that much to me and getting a XT fpr $449 is cheap. If you could have a 6800GT for $399 or a x800XT-PE for $449 what would you buy?

6800GT.

Vezra said:
I'll still be getting the X800 XT-PE. Doom3 is the only game the Nvidia cards has been able to beat it at and i'm not going to buy a video card just for 1 game, that's just silly. All other games ATI owns. But I knew anyway the Nvidia cards would be better for Doom3 since Nvidia and id were working together. But ATI will be the better card for HL2 since ATI has been working with them.

Wrong, Wrong and Wrong again.

Nvidia hangs right with ATi in EVERY game. ATi doesn't "own" Nvidia in ANY game.

John Carmack openly stated what hardware he needed to run Doom3 fast. Nvidia took it to heart and delivered a card that would work extremely well with the Doom3 Engine. ATi ignored this, and also ignored OpenGL driver development. That's why they lose in Doom3, because they just don't care enough to focus on OpenGL performance.

ATi hasn't been working with Valve any more than Nvidia has. Everyone thinks ATi will perform much better in HL2 because of benchmarks done on last generations cards. All information points the 6800 being extremely competitive in HL2.

So in short, Nvidia keeps right up with and/or beats ATi in EVERY game except for Doom3 and other OpenGL games (CoD, Kotor, etc) where it absolutely DOMINATES.

Not to mention the only card from ATi you can actually buy for MSRP is the Pro, which loses poorly to the GT in just about every game at any setting.

Rof_lmao said:
So what the hell do i get the, the 6800 gt or the x800xt. sone day ati wins all, the next nvidia wins all!! WHICH IS IT!!

Well if you want a video card based just on Doom 3 get the Nvidia card. If you want a card that runs all other games faster get the ATI card.

^eMpTy^ said:
Nvidia hangs right with ATi in EVERY game. ATi doesn't "own" Nvidia in ANY game.

Not from the reviews I have seen. I'll be getting ATI. :)

Vezra said:
Well if you want a video card based just on Doom 3 get the Nvidia card. If you want a card that runs all other games faster get the ATI card.

People like you get me disgusted. You obviously haven't done any research on this subject. nvidia runs neck and neck with ati in every game i have seen benchmarked*. How can you start making posts that say nvidia sucks, which is how i am interpreting them? Nvidia definitly has the better product for doom3 and all of its children. I have yet to see Ati completely dominate nv this round. Please, before you post, read up on stuff and stop trying to piss people off.

*exception opengl= nvidia wins hands down in all opengl games, not just doom3 like vezra said. Look at city of heroes, neverwinter nights, KOTOR, Return to castle wolfenstein: ET, and call of duty.

ecrompton said:
ok i havent read the WHOLE thread, so this might have been addressed...but

i tihnk its kinda weird the driver version on the ati cards...i havent seen hard use that naming convention with them...

also, they never say whether the x800 pro is a 128 MB card or a 256MB card, they dont say it either for the GT... i mean, opengl driver quality aside, a 128 mb framebuffer is gonna get toasted at 16x12 with ani/anti, i mean look at a 9800 256mb vs a 128mb in call o duty 16x12 6aa/16af.

i havent takin any side on this yet, but why arent these 2 variables listed?

seems fishy
DOPEFISHY
Doh, I read the whole thread. :eek:

Vezra said:

IF you can get your hands on an XTPE you can beat the Ultra at 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf...by a few fps...

And then you can play doom 3 slower than a STOCK GT.

But hey, it's your money.

I wonder, they say they are useing 4.9 ati drivers? uh we are only on 4.7 is the 4.9 supposed to be useing the new opengl drivers ? if so ... so sad for ati hehe anyways I hope not. But regardless, i made my mind up to wait for 512mb cards to come out then put my money down on the one that is better. I dont give a rats ass if its ati, nvidia, or matrox or whatever ... this argueing over which is better now is silly, and yes its a important game but geez there is more than doom3 and heck hl2 out soon and its not opengl its d3d. Anyways you know what I think all you people that have invested 400sh plus in money on the current cards are all screwed lol. It takes 512mb to have it maxed so did nvidia really make it for doom3 or is it just another ploy to get you to buy 2 cards in 1 year ? Wake up people.

Vezra said:
Yeah if I were you, I would hold out a little longer and read several more reviews/benchmarks and keep doing that until you are ready to by the card. Both are great cards but I would wait a little longer, and do much more research so that your money is well spent for whichever card you get. With each new benchmark review I read, the NVidia cards are getting closer, if not surpassing the ATI cards in each game, so it would be wise not to have a set decision yet.

^eMpTy^ said:
IF you can get your hands on an XTPE you can beat the Ultra at 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf...by a few fps...

And then you can play doom 3 slower than a STOCK GT.

But hey, it's your money.

I dunno, I may get an Nvidia card after all. After looking at some of the other games that's coming out. F.E.A.R. looks just like Doom 3. :eek: But isn't the 6800 Ultra just as hard to get as the XTPE? I may just get what I see first. :D Either that or wait for the next cards with the 512mb.

Vezra said:

Might wanna see a few more then lol. Although i doubt you'll be getting an X800XT PE anyways since they are near impossible to find and Gateway says they aren't shipping any more and CDW has no clue when they might get some and ATI wont start selling any themselves till probably the end of August or October when were heading into the Fall refresh :).

The best buy you could get right now is the 6800GT. It performs right up there with the Ultra alot of the time at stock speeds and overclocks past Ultra speeds.

IxGOxSOLO said:
Yeah if I were you, I would hold out a little longer and read several more reviews/benchmarks and keep doing that until you are ready to by the card. Both are great cards but I would wait a little longer, and do much more research so that your money is well spent for whichever card you get. With each new benchmark review I read, the NVidia cards are getting closer, if not surpassing the ATI cards in each game, so it would be wise not to have a set decision yet.

Yeah i'm going too. Some reviews do show the Nvidia cards winning by a slight margin. I guess either one you choose would be fine. To bad you can't combine both cards. :D I'm really thinking long and hard about just waiting for the 512mb cards to hit and go from there. The system I have now will be able to run Doom but i'm not wanting to stay on this system for much longer. I have a GeForce 5900 right now. It should last me for a bit.

Vezra said:
Yeah i'm going too. Some reviews do show the Nvidia cards winning by a slight margin. I guess either one you choose would be fine. To bad you can't combine both cards. :D I'm really thinking long and hard about just waiting for the 512mb cards to hit and go from there. The system I have now will be able to run Doom but i'm not wanting to stay on this system for much longer. I have a GeForce 5900 right now. It should last me for a bit.

With the 6800s you get as much as twice the speed as a 5900 thats a woth it upgrade in my book. These cards now are CPU limitted so they will have more to offer in the future. :D

So does all this mean I'll be needing to upgrade my voodoo 5 pci already? i dunno. I think it's got some life left in it yet.

vlovich said:
So does all this mean I'll be needing to upgrade my voodoo 5 pci already? i dunno. I think it's got some life left in it yet.

Well now that is a different story.lol :D

Vezra said:
Yeah, I feel the same way, I am in desperate need of an upgrade, XP2000+ CPU, 768MB RAM, and a Ti4200 that is barely living, the thing BSODs and artifacts, and causes graphical errors at anything near stock speeds. So I have to underclock it as far as Rivatuner will let me to keep it totally stable, then I will crank the core "up" to about 200MHz and the RAM speed to about 400MHz to play games, then have to drop them back down when I'm done to avoid any problems. So I am anxious to do an upgrade when i get the money in a few months, but I would like to hold out until the 512 cards as well, depending on when they come out, I doubt my BFG Ti4200 will be able to hold on until then though, and I don't want to have to buy 2 cards so close together.

So yeah read up on the benchmarks some more, and you should probably read the "Tech" articles that [H]ardOCP has posted for each card as well as any other sites that might have them. Just research so that when you do buy a card, you feel you have done enough research that you feel your money was well spent. Here's to waiting.:)

Psh.. who cares about ither of them cards... SAVE YOUR MONEY!!.. i know you wanna play doom3 ASAP.. but im saving my money... PCI express SLI nvidia!!! remeber when voodoo2 came out... GOD! ill admit the TNT killed it but thats beccause NV knows what they are doing... now just take amazing SLI technology and put it with the VOODOO Killer...!

Heck I just upgraded to a 9700 pro...

Beauty of being a computer technician is that there is always a computer coming in that is top-of-the-line. Which means that once its fixed, you can play the latest (single player) games as a "free" burn-in test for your customer, and have all the fun.

I'm also curious to see how ATI and Nvidia will preform on different systems. I wish they would have tested them on an AMD64 System. I read a review where they said that ATI preformed a bit better on higher end CPU's while the Nvidia cards did better on lower end CPU's. Guess I'll see soon enough, I just want to make sure that when I buy my new card that i'm getting the very best one because when I do buy i'm not planning on upgrading for a long time.

Back