id Software acquired by ZeniMax Media

Supposedly that's not going to affect how id is run, yeah, right. They'll have the parent company breathing down their necks eventually.

Who cares? Id hasn't done anything worthwhile in years.

I hate to say it, but this is the truth of the matter. The days of them making great and truly innovative games are over it seems. When was the last time you got excited by an ID game? Doom 3 was a let down. Quake 4 was outsourced to another developer and was actually better than Doom 3 I thought. The expansion pack for Doom 3 was even developed by another studio and I thought it was much better than Doom 3 was. Quake Wars? Well I thought it sucked.

For me the last good thing ID truly made was Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Quake 3. Whichever came last.

I hate to say it, but this is the truth of the matter. The days of them making great and truly innovative games are over it seems. When was the last time you got excited by an ID game? Doom 3 was a let down. Quake 4 was outsourced to another developer and was actually better than Doom 3 I thought. The expansion pack for Doom 3 was even developed by another studio and I thought it was much better than Doom 3 was. Quake Wars? Well I thought it sucked.

For me the last good thing ID truly made was Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Quake 3. Whichever came last.

RtCW was outsourced to Splash Damage, wasn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I agree that id is no longer relevant.

Well, the last game id made in-house was Doom 3. I really don't think all of the third-party "spinoffs" -- Quake 4, Quake Wars -- should necessarily count against id even though various id employees produced or helped produce them.

That could be, I don't really recall. Even then I don't think Quake 3 or Return to Castle Wolfenstien were as "great" as Quake I and Quake II were. While Quake II was a good game the days of being in awe at an ID software title really ended with the release of the original Quake. Nothing ID has released since given me that jaw dropping amazement at what I was seeing and experiencing.

Personally, I blame rocket science for their lack of activity. I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier on, actually.

I feel like iD could really help out Bethesda in overcoming their issue of wanting to have an FPS feel but not really pulling it off. Plus the guys over at id, having met some personally, are quite sharp and still have some great ideas up their sleves now if they can meld these two companies right I would love to see what they could do.

That could be, I don't really recall. Even then I don't think Quake 3 or Return to Castle Wolfenstien were as "great" as Quake I and Quake II were. While Quake II was a good game the days of being in awe at an ID software title really ended with the release of the original Quake. Nothing ID has released since given me that jaw dropping amazement at what I was seeing and experiencing.

I'm curious if this has anything to do with the age at which we experienced these games. there are a good number of movies I loved as a kid. lately I've gone back to watch some of them. in my later years they aren't nearly as entertaining as they were back then. almost the same can be said for going back to play some of those older games. they were no doubt tons of fun then. I was about 16-17 when I played quake and quake II. how old were you?

RTCW was made by Gray Matter. The mp portion was made by Nerve.
The new Wolfenstein game coming this August is made by Raven, the same company that made Quake 4, and a lot of other classic id engine'd games. The mp is handled by Endrant, which was started by former splash damage employees.

I'm pretty psyched for it. There is something about id's engines that have an extra level of detail and polish over competitors. I prefer the feel of them to the unreal engine games.

Id isn't as massive a force in the game industry as they were, but the industry has grown so much since the doom and quake days. I think Rage looks pretty good and Doom 4 should pwn. :D

"Along with The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 maker Bethesda, other studios under the ZeniMax umbrella include casual developer Vir2L and ZeniMax Online, which is working on an MMO strongly rumored to be set in The Elder Scrolls universe".

Holy shit! Elderscrolls 5 is going to be an MMO:eek: I don't know weather I should be happy or cry?.

Secondly, have any of you thought that maybe they merged because of the economy? Maybe ID didn't enough resources and made the Merge with ZeniMax to keep afloat. It would make sense. Lots of companies a going under these days.

Last edited:
I'm curious if this has anything to do with the age at which we experienced these games. there are a good number of movies I loved as a kid. lately I've gone back to watch some of them. in my later years they aren't nearly as entertaining as they were back then. almost the same can be said for going back to play some of those older games. they were no doubt tons of fun then. I was about 16-17 when I played quake and quake II. how old were you?

I know what you mean. I go back now and watch old TV shows and movies I liked as a kid, and though some of them are still good, many things aren't. As far as games go I was probably 16 or 17 when Quake came out.

good riddance,

id has not made anything worth a damn since Quake 2 (possibly 3 but I wasent a fan)

Still...one of the most influential development houses ever being assimilated just feels wrong at first glance, as phide mentioned in another thread. That said, consolidation is increasingly inevitable and for lack of a better phrase--resistance is futile. I'm just waiting for whomever ends up buying out everybody else in ten years to officially change their name to OCP and get it over with...

Still...one of the most influential development houses ever being assimilated just feels wrong at first glance, as phide mentioned in another thread. That said, consolidation is increasingly inevitable and for lack of a better phrase--resistance is futile. I'm just waiting for whomever ends up buying out everybody else in ten years to officially change their name to OCP and get it over with...

I feel the same way, but at the same time, what has Id done lately? The answer: Nothing.

Hmm this has massive potential for both good and bad, cash injection and the motivation to release more could put a mirror shine on a very decent developer, it could also swamp them and cause them to release rubbish early...

I feel the same way, but at the same time, what has Id done lately? The answer: Nothing.

I just can't believe what a flop the Doom 3 engine was. Despite what anyone thought of the game, it looked good! It ran really well! You'd think a few more games other than Prey would have used it.

I just can't believe what a flop the Doom 3 engine was. Despite what anyone thought of the game, it looked good! It ran really well! You'd think a few more games other than Prey would have used it.

Yeah that really surprised me. Especially given the popularity of the Quake 3 engine. That engine was used to create quite a few games over a period of several years between the release of Quake 3 and Doom 3. Though in fairness the use of the Unreal engine fell as well. Many companies created their own engines in house for many games such as FarCry, Crysis, Call of Duty 4, etc.

The Doom 3 engine was very capapble and by the time Quake IV had come out the engine was running great on a variety of hardware configurations.

That doesn't surprise me. I had lost all my confidence and respect for ID a long time ago. They haven't made anything worth wile in a LONG time. They just talk. Especially that wind bag Carmack. Seriously who gives a shit what this guys says any more. There is more hot air coming out of his trap then all the hot air put out of cow asses in the state of Texas.
Edit/Delete Message

id software was always best at pushing a system to the very limits, but not so far that few could experience it. This worked very well back when the only choices between PCs was like 386, 486 etc and not much inbetween.

With systems so massively varied these days, pushing things simply results in lost sales so id have inevitably scaled things back and don't push things as far. Crytek are now the id of current times, but they just got burned with Crysis (well, Cevat Yerli seems to think so) so now they're focusing on consoles with nothing too demanding.

It's a shame because with the reputation id had created, they were in the perfect position to take risks and make hilariously demanding games that would sell anyway because of the name. That's over now I guess, and Carmack clearly doesn't give a shit anymore, not that I blame him.

ID should just make engines and licence them out and just not make any games anymore. ID has help revolutionize gaming with the engines they've built. Their games are merely demos and then everyone else just uses the engine to make better games. ID's stuff after Quake 3 (which is what? doom 3) is junk. I think ID's game mantra just doens't work anymore. Fast paced DM just doesn't work well anymore.

ID should just make engines and licence them out and just not make any games anymore. ID has help revolutionize gaming with the engines they've built. Their games are merely demos and then everyone else just uses the engine to make better games. ID's stuff after Quake 3 (which is what? doom 3) is junk. I think ID's game mantra just doens't work anymore. Fast paced DM just doesn't work well anymore.

I think they took frenetic DM as far as they could with Quake III. Q3 was basically a distilled, refined, and perfected DM experience. No other game has captured the craziness of deathmatch as well as Q3 did.

I think they took frenetic DM as far as they could with Quake III. Q3 was basically a distilled, refined, and perfected DM experience. No other game has captured the craziness of deathmatch as well as Q3 did.

I can see where you are coming from, but I disagree. I'm a UT man myself. I'd prefer Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004 to Quake 3 any day. I will agree that Quake 3 was as far as id could go. I think their most solid single player experience was in Quake personally. Quake II maybe. Q3 had a shitty single player experience and Doom 3 was nothing but the same tired gag used occasionally in Doom and Doom II all the damn time.

I can see where you are coming from, but I disagree. I'm a UT man myself. I'd prefer Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004 to Quake 3 any day. I will agree that Quake 3 was as far as id could go. I think their most solid single player experience was in Quake personally. Quake II maybe. Q3 had a shitty single player experience and Doom 3 was nothing but the same tired gag used occasionally in Doom and Doom II all the damn time.

I'd take UT2004 over almost anything produced since, except UT3 (I love it, even though nobody plays it). I hated UT'99. The level design was absolute shit, in my opinion. It looked to me like they were designed in mspaint.

Q3 had much more pleasing architecture and much more effective level design choices, in my opinion.

I'd take UT2004 over almost anything produced since, except UT3 (I love it, even though nobody plays it). I hated UT'99. The level design was absolute shit, in my opinion. It looked to me like they were designed in mspaint.

Q3 had much more pleasing architecture and much more effective level design choices, in my opinion.

Whatever floats your boat. I like the style of UT more than Q3. Still I don't dislike UT3 totally, but I hate everything about it excluding death match and even then I think the levels are too small.

im sad :( id should be the way they always been and not merging with others.

im sad :( id should be the way they always been and not merging with others.

Things change. Honestly the way id has been the last few years, I can see a change of some sort was in order though I don't know if this is the change they need or not.

Things change. Honestly the way id has been the last few years, I can see a change of some sort was in order though I don't know if this is the change they need or not.

Did you read the link above? Carmack sheds a few insightful comments.

I was a big Q3 CTF player. The frentic speed and sheer control a player can exercise in that game, has yet to be equaled IMO. I was a good player, and yet once in a while you'd play a GOD. And they didn't cheat. There was just an unlimited amount of depth and skill to acquire. The rail gun became like an extension of your will.
Newer MP games have lost the edgy competitive feel.

Did you read the link above? Carmack sheds a few insightful comments.

Yes I did. I still don't know if they did the right thing or not. Surely, like everything else in life, their choice will have advantages, and disadvantages.

Back