ibuypower build suggestions

xitsej

n00b
WAS ORIGONALLY MAKING AN IBUYPOWER... LOOK TO 12th POST FOR NEW AVA DIRECT BUILD

I want a pc that is able to run games at very high settings while still getting a good frame rate. Any answers to any questions, suggestions and criticisms of the build are greatly appreciated:

I have questions here to make it easier to critique me… not because I need everyone to answer all of them…

Monitor: Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
1680 x 1050
$220 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

From iBuyPower:
Power Supply: 800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI Ready
If I get this instead of a brand name is this still reliable enough (do I need 800 watts?)

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
OR Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

Cooling: INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kit
Will this decrease part lifetime?
Do I have to remove water if I move the computer?
Are the silent fans a safer bet?

Motherboard:
If I get Nvidia:
[SLI] MSI P7N SLI-FI Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB
Should I go to the 780i SLI Chipset?

If I go ATI:
[CrossFire] Asus P5K Premium Intel P35 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB

RAM:
4 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 4x1GB Corsair-Value or Major Brand

Graphics Card:
Nvidia 9800 GX2 1GB
ATI 4870 512MB
Crossfire mode with 2 ATI 4870 512MB

Hard Drive: 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

I'm posting here because this is the first computer that I'm designing… after my incredibly slow 4 year old Dell died, though I think I'll be using ibuypower because I've heard they have good prices and I don't feel completely comfortable building one especially if it has liquid cooling even with the guide on this site. (If you have suggestions for other vendors that you think are better thats great as well) I'm also considering overclocking, but was wondering if it will decrease the lifetime of the parts significantly.

I think that's all. Thanks for your help.

I would suggest going with the Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB instead, Its nearly the same in performance as a raptor.

If you use a 32bit OS, The OS will only see around 3.5gbs. If you use a 64bit OS, Then the full amount will be seen.

Two HD4870's or a 9800GX2 are both excessive for a 22" monitor. A P35 motherboard will likely not allow you to see the full benefit of two 4870s in crossfire since the second PCI-E slot is probably only x4 (version 1.1 also). I'd just get a single 4870 or even a 4850. If you decide to switch to a single video card, then you can drop the power supply down a few watts to around the 500W mark if you're not sure it is a high quality unit.

Don't pay extra for Vista Ultimate over Vista Home Premium unless you're sure you need the extra features.

I don't know anything about what liquid cooling solution iBuyPower uses, but I think you'd be fine with a regular heatsink and fan instead.

I'd go with VelocityMicro, MainGear, Puget, or similar instead of ibuypower.

Go with the quad if you want the system to last you longer than 2-3yrs. If you plan on upgrading the system in 2yrs, the dual core will give you better performance right now.

You don't need liquid cooling to get a good OC out of current Intel chips. Most, if not all, can do a 1Ghz OC on good air cooling, like the Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme with Scythe S-Flex fan or the Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

I think a 9800GX2 is a bit overkill for a 22" monitor, but I guess it will be a while before you need to upgrade it. All you'd need is the HD4850 for most games out there, IMO.

Since you don't need a dual vidcard setup for a 22" monitor, I'd avoid an nForce chipset. They're just not as stable/reliable as the intel counterparts. I'd also suggest getting a P43 or P45 chipset instead, like the Asus P5Q Pro or E.

Do you trust your brand new system with a generic no-name brand PSU? Remember, everything is connected to it, so it could potentially take out every single piece of hardware in your system. All you need is a Corsair 520W or 550W.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's the build I've adjusted to (any final suggestions):

1680 x 1050
$220 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009094

Power Supply:
650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

Cooling:
Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit

Motherboard:
Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

RAM:
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand

Graphics Card:
ATI 4870 512MB

Hard Drive: 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

Thanks

You're not buying from ibuypower.com right? ibuypower is not a good company to buy a PC from unless you want a POS.

Anyway, drop the Maximus Formulat. Overkill and overpriced. Do note that a $300 motherboard will perform only a little bit faster than a $100 motherboard. I recommend any of these other motherboards instead:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $90
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $120
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $130
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $150
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $185
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Intel X48 Motherboard - $225

Just to help you out: Everyone of these motherboards have PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful for future upgrades. If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second gigabit port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, and high overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you like the DS3R but need 8 SATA ports, want an onboard pre-installed fast booting Linux setup or don't need a second gigabit port, get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38.

Ditch the HSF. There are much much better HSF for the price:
Kingwin RVT-12025 120mm Rifle HSF - $37 & Retention Bracket - $7
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle HSF - $37 & Retention Bracket - $7
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $50
Thermalright Ultima-90 HSF - $46 & Panaflo FBA09A12M 92mm Fan - $3
Noctua NH-U12P HSF - $60

Thanks for all the advice.

Would the Asus P5E Intel X38 CrossFire Chipset be an appropriate slightly cheaper alternative for the motherboard I suggested in my last post?

I suggest you go with one of the cheaper P43/P45 boards in Danny's list. You don't need CrossFire (that HD4870 by itself will be more than enough), and those boards have most of the same features as the P5E available for much less.

I also recommend buying and assembling the parts yourself. It's not that hard to build and maintain a computer.

Thanks for all the advice.

Would the Asus P5E Intel X38 CrossFire Chipset be an appropriate slightly cheaper alternative for the motherboard I suggested in my last post?

It would but you simply don't need that kind of a motherboard. As Tiraides has said, you have no need for a Crossfire setup. Thus a cheaper P43 or P45 motherboard is still a better choice for you. What do you hope to gain with the $225 P5E over the $90 EP45-DS3L?

And you still haven't answered my question: Are you still buying from ibuypower or are you building this yourself?

probably Ibuypower unfortunately... the reason being that this is my grad present and my parents for some reason think it will be more reliable to buy from someone who builds it for me... and they pay up to a certain amount sooo... wish me luck :p I would feel fine building my own... but its not really my choice and its for free for the price ibuypower offers so I just go along...

If you can, try to talk your parents into giving you the money to build the parts yourself. Ibuypower is not the best computer maker to go to... you're almost better off going with a Dell system (if they're concerned about reliability).

If you can't, try AVA Direct. I can't speak off of personal experience, but I have heard of several people in these forums who were satisfied with their purchases there.

Regardless, make the changes that we've recommended earlier... if the retailer you choose has those parts in stock.

probably Ibuypower unfortunately... the reason being that this is my grad present and my parents for some reason think it will be more reliable to buy from someone who builds it for me...

Oh the irony.:D

I'll wish you luck but I know you're gonna get a poorly built system from them. Sorry.

Hit up Puget Systems, Ava Direct or Velocity Micro for a better PC boutique. Although tiraides is right: you're better off with a Dell and upgrading that than buying from iBuypower.com

Thanks so much for suggesting AVA Direct (Which I assume is better than IBUYPOWER?) Its the only one so far with comparable prices. Here's the build I currently have:

1680 x 1050
$220 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009094

INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core (SLACR G0 stepping), 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB (2 x 4MB) L2 Cache, 65nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail

XIGMATEK, HDT-S1283 CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Socket 775/754/939/940/AM2, 120mm Fan, Copper/Aluminum, Retail
(Is buying a brand name thermal compound worth it?)

ASUS, P5Q Pro, LGA775, Intel® P45, 1600MHz FSB, DDR2-1200 16GB /4, PCIe x16 CF /2, SATA 3.0 Gbit/s RAID 5 /8, HDA, GbLAN, FW /2, ATX, Retail

CORSAIR, 4GB (2 x 2GB) XMS2 PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-18) 1.8V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

VISIONTEK, Radeon® HD 4870 750MHz, 512MB GDDR5 1800Mhz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI /2, Retail

WESTERN DIGITAL, 400GB WD Caviar® SE16 (WD4000AAKS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache

NZXT, Hush Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, w/ Fan, Aluminum/ Plastic

CORSAIR, CMPSU-620HX HX Series Modular Power Supply, 620W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Triple +12V, Multi-GPU Ready

MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM

Yes AVA Direct is better than iBuypower.com

Nice build.

just one last question:

is it worth it to get one of the Arctic thermal pastes instead of supposed "standard thermal paste"?

just one last question:

is it worth it to get one of the Arctic thermal pastes instead of supposed "standard thermal paste"?

Nah. The stock TIM that comes with the Xigmatek is very very effective.

Back