IBM pSeries

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have any experience with these? I have a project that relies on some software that only runs on AIX, so I've picked up an old P5-570 from work and may need some assistance getting started. It was a two node stack with 8 cores and 16GB total, I don't need the horsepower or assosciated heat at home so I've consolidated to a single node, four cores (8 threads), and moved over all 16GB of memory to the one chassis. I have the HMC as well, but I'd rather not run it if possible.

So far, I've been able to login to the ASMI web interface and FSP via telnet, and I'm taking a null-modem cable home today so I can see what I can get into with the serial console (and hopefully eliminate the HMC). It currently runs AIX 6.1, but I'd like to move over the mirrored drive from the second node and do RAID1 and perform a fresh install to get the feel for it. I do have plenty of linux experience, and some AIX experience on the host that replaced this one, but not in implementing it from scratch.

Each node had PCI-X FC HBAs connected to a DS4300 SAN, which I also got, but the plan is to re-utilize that for VM storage and export an NFS volume to AIX from my Synology, for volume storage.

I've always found it easier to use the HMC. Plus I think it's required to do DLPAR operations should you want to run multiple AIX systems on one box. But if you're just going to use the full system partition you should be fine using the serial console.

You'll need to boot the system into SMS to configure the DVD drive as the boot device. Then exit out of SMS and boot normally. You can then select hdisk0 to install rootvg as well as other options during the AIX installation.

As for drive mirroring AIX uses LVM as a form of RAID and is pretty straight forward:

extendvg rootvg hdisk1
mirrorvg -m rootvg hdisk1
bosboot -a
bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1
shutdown -Fr

Awesome, very helpful, thank you!

Is there any way to access SMS or FSP once the OS is booted? My plan is to try and virtualized the HMC.

Not that I know of. Press 1 on initial boot when memory, keyboard, network, scsi, speaker display across the bottom of the console. Typically after keyboard and before speaker.

I have but the hardware was too specialized and it just didn't work too well. Not to mention its dataed.

Awesome, very helpful, thank you!

Is there any way to access SMS or FSP once the OS is booted? My plan is to try and virtualized the HMC.

As far as I'm aware, SMS isn't available while the OS is loaded. Does IBM allow a virtualized HMC? All our HMCs are standalone servers.

Back