IB soon, need CPU cooler..help / recommendations?

I posted this in the IB results thread, but it seems to better belong here: I have a megahalems now, is a DH14 worth the cost over a megahalems for me on IB? (I'm running a pair of NF P12 fans on it, running at full speed.)

Current dilemma going through my head, is that if i get the Hyper 212 Evo ($35) and i want a second fan, i should just buy two new fans that will be super quiet. Those would be Noctua NF-P12's, which are $25 each. So in total the Hyper 212 Evo + 2x P12's would be $85.
Now there is something that i THINK is awesome but dont know for fact, and that is the Evo's unique thing about it is its heatpipes are in direct full contact with the CPU shield.

However i know the Noctua NH-D14 is $90 after rebate, the H80 is $90, and there are a few others in that price range. Are they all pretty equal in cooling performance?

I would not spend $85 on a Hyper 212+ Evo. For that money, just get a bigger/better cooler. The big advantage of the 212+ is that it is cheap and effective - by adding such expensive fans, you are taking away its entire advantage.

I posted this in the IB results thread, but it seems to better belong here: I have a megahalems now, is a DH14 worth the cost over a megahalems for me on IB? (I'm running a pair of NF P12 fans on it, running at full speed.)

Probably not, what are your temps now? Ivy doesn't seem to be producing a lot of heat to require such a large cooler - the temps are higher, but larger coolers might not make much difference there because the problem seems to be heat dissipation not heat production (compared to something like a 130W SB-E).

I would not spend $85 on a Hyper 212+ Evo. For that money, just get a bigger/better cooler. The big advantage of the 212+ is that it is cheap and effective - by adding such expensive fans, you are taking away its entire advantage.

Probably not, what are your temps now? Ivy doesn't seem to be producing a lot of heat to require such a large cooler - the temps are higher, but larger coolers might not make much difference there because the problem seems to be heat dissipation not heat production (compared to something like a 130W SB-E).

I forgot about that. So what would you guys recommend? Go with the 212 Evo but just stick with its one fan stock fan?

I forgot about that. So what would you guys recommend? Go with the 212 Evo but just stick with its one fan stock fan?

I'd try that first, then if you weren't happy with the temps you could look to add just a second fan. Seems like quite a few people were having decent results with the stock 212+ and EVO.

I see from the all the testing that he started at 1.1V, is that the stock voltage? You should be able to go to 4.4ghz on 1.1V right?

Has anyone written a guide to OCing IB? Never owned SB so I have no clue on this, other than reading guides for SB.

Thanks!

Current dilemma going through my head, is that if i get the Hyper 212 Evo ($35) and i want a second fan, i should just buy two new fans that will be super quiet. Those would be Noctua NF-P12's, which are $25 each. So in total the Hyper 212 Evo + 2x P12's would be $85.
Now there is something that i THINK is awesome but dont know for fact, and that is the Evo's unique thing about it is its heatpipes are in direct full contact with the CPU shield.

However i know the Noctua NH-D14 is $90 after rebate, the H80 is $90, and there are a few others in that price range. Are they all pretty equal in cooling performance?

Two fans is twice the noise but only a few degrees off. Not worth it IMO. If you start buying fans for the Evo then it loses its position as a great value cooler. For 90 bucks you can have a top performing cooler and persoanlly wouldn't buy a H80 or other contained LC, More noise at the same performance as a top air cooler. Go with Evo for modest clocks and no mods only. I think still the one to beat is the Silver Arrow, shouldn't be priced far from the NH-D14.

For what its worth:
Just been playing with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler package and found that the Coolermaster 212 EVO cpu cooler is just as good really on my rig
The fans on the Noctua do not go as fast as coolermaster blademasters and can't run PWM either.
Its just not the same cfm I guess
Then did some changing and swapped the Noctuas from the NH-U12P SE2 kit onto the 212 EVO cpu cooler and still not as effective as the oem blademasters on it!
Surprized me.

hi guys...

so what should I buy I awaiting my parts to arrive sometime next week 3570k, asus maximus v and 16gb of sammy ram ( 4 x 4 gb ). I'm selling most of my current rig including cm 212+. What should I get for my HSF? 212+, 212 EVO, Noctua 14 or SA?

I'm hopping for a 4.5ghz o/c...

Since I've been away from o/c intel cpus (since my c2d e2160) is there an easy guide for dummies on how to do it? I see people talk about different voltages (other than core CPU) that can be set/modifed...

TIA...

For what its worth:
Just been playing with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler package and found that the Coolermaster 212 EVO cpu cooler is just as good really on my rig
The fans on the Noctua do not go as fast as coolermaster blademasters and can't run PWM either.
Its just not the same cfm I guess
Then did some changing and swapped the Noctuas from the NH-U12P SE2 kit onto the 212 EVO cpu cooler and still not as effective as the oem blademasters on it!
Surprized me.

Very interesting, i will take your advice and go Evo and stick with the one stock fan. Also interesting is i cant find the CM Hyper 212 Evo's fan on newegg or CM's site to buy a second that is identical (if i was going to, i will go with the one fan for now).

Very interesting, i will take your advice and go Evo and stick with the one stock fan. Also interesting is i cant find the CM Hyper 212 Evo's fan on newegg or CM's site to buy a second that is identical (if i was going to, i will go with the one fan for now).

2nd fan? get it at new egg.com if you out of Canada

COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master
This is the same one as the original hyper 212+
I have a few of these
PWM as well. can ramp speed up and down with load.
you can y adapter them or like my board has 2nd cpu fan pwm plugin
$11.99 price is good
2 of these on 212 EVO actually do better
I stuck two of these on the Noctua;)

Tyreman:

Oh ok, so its the same fan as what comes with the Evo, but its just not see through plastic?

the fan I mentioned available at newegg for a 2nd fan(for use in a push/pull configuration) can even be used on the 212 EVO as the primary fan.
It is the original one for used the hyper 212+ cpu cooler and strangely enough has better rating for the rad.
If you go by coolermasters specs.

Should you still want the 212 EVO cpu cooler's current "exact" replacement it can be gotten from coolermaster
I beleive saw it there the other day.
by the time its ships to Canada here cost me close to 25 dollars
So I just used the 2 that new egg sells and excellent performance i got mine at Canada Computers

Last edited:
Have any of you guys been able to push to 4.4ghz with 1.1volts? I am worried about going above that voltage honestly, with moderate cooling solutions.

Back