• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 Heatsink?

kompulsive

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
355
I've ordered everything for my new i7 gaming rig, except the heatsink. What heatsinks are you guys using and how are they performing? I was looking at the Noctua NH-U12P, Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, and Cooler Master V8. The Thermalright seems to be very popular, but I am worried about it's weight.
 
The TRUE is the best out there. If you can find it in stock, it would be the ideal choice.
 
Also, I won't run into any problems if I just use the stock heatsink/fan until I can find a True somewhere, will I? It won't give me a fit when I change the heatsinks?
 
People aren't having problems with the weight of the True hanging off of their motherboard?
Nope.
Also, I won't run into any problems if I just use the stock heatsink/fan until I can find a True somewhere, will I? It won't give me a fit when I change the heatsinks?
You'll have to remove the motherboard to install the TRUE, but aside from that you won't have to deal with anything.
 
I don't believe that the TRUE Copper/Black heatsinks were REAL 1366 heatsinks. I've been advised to stay away from the bolt-thru kits. However, the Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT is a genuine 1366 heatsink.
 
I've been advised to stay away from the bolt-thru kits.

By whom, and for what reason? The bolt-through kits are better than the standard mounting brackets. In any case, the TRUE uses a backplate for its normal mounting system, so you'll have to remove the mobo to install it either way.
 
I got a CM V8.. man, it's flippin huge.. I don't have the rest of my i7 goods yet, but the reviews said it's a pretty nice cooler.. good performing and nice looking also.

I got mine here: http://www.svc.com/rr-uv8-xbu1-gp.html

it came with the 1366 bracket also.
 
I don't believe that the TRUE Copper/Black heatsinks were REAL 1366 heatsinks. I've been advised to stay away from the bolt-thru kits. However, the Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT is a genuine 1366 heatsink.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the TRUE 1366 RT just the same TRUE that has been out this entire time with a new fan retention mechanism and a 1366 bolt through kit? I mean there are no physical differences between this new kit that TR is offering, right?
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the TRUE 1366 RT just the same TRUE that has been out this entire time with a new fan retention mechanism and a 1366 bolt through kit? I mean there are no physical differences between this new kit that TR is offering, right?

You are correct.
 
Hrmm... So...790g isn't too much?

If it was too much, there would be A LOT of people having mobo's broken in half since so many people use this HSF. It's been the reigning HSF king for sometime now and for good reason.

I don't believe that the TRUE Copper/Black heatsinks were REAL 1366 heatsinks. I've been advised to stay away from the bolt-thru kits. However, the Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT is a genuine 1366 heatsink.

I'm using the exact same TRUE 120 from my LGA775 system - I just picked up an LGA1366 kit from a local store. It works perfectly and cools the i7 extremely well. At 3.8GHz my idle temps are in the high 30's/low 40's - which is about 6-8* higher than my OC'ed Q6600 was - but the i7's run hotter by nature.

So if you can find the new Thermalright LGA1366 kits, get that one - but if you already have a TRUE 120, just get the new bolt kit. It works perfectly.
 
why :p it weighs about the same as the TRUE ^^ and looks realllllllllllly cool
how does it perform though

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v8/5.htm
edit: there are a bunch of reviews out there.. here's a more comprehensive one
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2314

I am sure ymmv dep on case flow and other factors, but this is pretty encouraging. :)

it's going to look bad ass in my clear sunbeam case.. if it fits.. lol. I think it will, this 9 bay is pretty roomy.
 
If I were buying a year or two ago, I'd consider the TRUE. But if I were buying today, and if I could find it, I'd consider the Prolimatech Megahelems for "normal use". For "ultra-low noise" use, I still haven't found anything significantly better than the passive HR-01 plus with duct, although I don't recommend this for most people.


I've been advised to stay away from the bolt-thru kits.
That's bad advice for most people on this board as it is a more sturdy, secure and reliable way of attaching the cooler to the motherboard than the clip on method. However, it is good advice for newbies who are new to building PC's, clumsy people who have a habit of breaking things, or extremely impatient people (or PC reviewers/system builders) who want to attach the heatsink on NOW, such as the reviewers at Custom PC who keep giving this crappy advice without realising that most people do not build 5 PC's a day.
 
You should only get the TRUE if you want to mod it
The Prolimatech Megahalems for cheap & good at low & high rpms
If you want the best, it's going to be the IFX 14
 
I like the Noctua I have in my sig. Easy to install, cools well, very quiet.
 
I have the CM V8, it does a pretty good job at keeping things cool. just remember that you are still dumping heat into the case, so you still need decent case fans... or just dont use a case i guess
 
Back
Top