• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 Gaming Rig - Thoughts

For gaming, you will max every game on the market. But so will your brothers who spent 1500 or less (except crysis ofc). And two years later you will upgrade again just like everyone else.
 
With regards to watercooling, are there any quality full systems or prebuilt cases with watercooling? I really don't have the time to piece one together.
 
Really the only kit worth it is the swiftech apex ultima with the gtz and a 1366 clip. But if you are going to get into overclocking on an i7 I would go with a 360 rad minimum. I am also a fan of high flow...
 
I thought about buying a boutique pc but I have heard some horror stories lately as well as the fact that I don't believe a 2-3k premium to have them build it is remotely worth it. I have built pc's before but I no longer have the time to delve into overclocking and watercooling. The components I outlined would be a 6-7k machine at Falcon Northwest or some of the others I looked at.
 
I thought about buying a boutique pc but I have heard some horror stories lately as well as the fact that I don't believe a 2-3k premium to have them build it is remotely worth it. I have built pc's before but I no longer have the time to delve into overclocking and watercooling. The components I outlined would be a 6-7k machine at Falcon Northwest or some of the others I looked at.

Well just so you know in case you decide to, you definitely wouldn't need watercooling for an i7 920 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. In fact you can use the stock Intel cooler which will be enough for that speed unless you intend to clock it even higher in which case you could get something like a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with the LGA1366 bolt-through kit. A 920 overclocked to only 3.2Ghz will also outperform the 3.2Ghz Extreme due to the fact the BLCK will be raised to 160Mhz and that will overclock the QPI, Uncore, memory, and Northbridge. You should be able to pull off 3.2Ghz on stock voltage or less as well.
 
Back
Top