• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 Gaming Rig, Need input

grayprint

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
90
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and web browsing, a little encoding.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
About $1200~ before taxes.
3) Where do you live?
CA.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything but KB/Mouse, Monitor, and speakers.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Speakers, monitor, kb/mouse.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Minor OC probably, something like 3ghz-3.2.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I will be buying a monitor later.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Right now.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Just onboard sound and nic, usb.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
It will be included in the purchase.

Here's what I've chose:

Case:
Antec p182: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

Hard drive:
WD Caviar Black 640GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

CPU:
Intel i7 920: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

RAM:
G.Skill 6GB PC3 12800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

PSU:
Corsair 520HX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

DVD Burner:
Samsung 22x: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

OS:
Vista Home Premium SP1 64Bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

GPU:
XFX GTX 260 Core 216: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150361

Total Price: $1,192.88


I have 2 main questions.
Would the ram I chose be better or would these lower speed rams but lower latency be better (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230) considering I'm not pushing the fsb too much?

And the second question is what is the difference between the video card I chose and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

Thanks for looking :)
 
Looks like you've done your homework.

1. I wouldn't go with the other ram kit...the one you selected is just fine.
2. Can't tell the differences between those video cards, maybe someone else will know.
3. Are you specifically looking for a modular PSU? If not, the Corsair 750TX can be had for the same price.
 
I have 2 main questions.
Would the ram I chose be better or would these lower speed rams but lower latency be better (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230) considering I'm not pushing the fsb too much?

And the second question is what is the difference between the video card I chose and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

Thanks for looking :)

1) You honestly wouldn't notice the difference with the lower latency. I'd go with the higher speed RAM for added room for overclocking. Never know when you want to OC higher :)
2) No difference besides price.

Your setup looks pretty good to me. No real problem per se. I do recommend getting the case, hard drive, CPU, PSU and mobo from Amazon.com since Amazon.com does not charge us CA residents tax. Once you factor in shipping and tax, the case, hard drive, CPU, PSU, and mobo will be about $80 cheaper altogether from Amazon.com. With that extra $80, I recommend upping the PSU to the Corsair 620HX from Amazon.com for $150 for a little headroom for upgrades.
 
While overclocking, RAM latency (aka, tight timings) matter less than RAM speed. If you're aren't planning a major overclock (of above 3.6GHz), you could stick with DDR3 1333 RAM.

The main physical difference that I see with the two XFX GTX 216 cards is that the more expensive version has a GPU cooler with a larger fan. (However, all I have to aid me are the two sets of pictures that NewEgg provided, so I could be wrong there.) The other differences are that the more expensive card has two free games and that it uses a mail-in rebate for its "savings." (I personally am not a big fan of mail-in rebates.) Both cards have virtually identical specifications otherwise.

Which monitor are you using now? When do you plan on buying the new monitor? Do you already have something in mind?

Also, have you checked out other retailers, like ZipZoomFly or Provantage, for any deals that they're running?
 
Wow thanks for the quick replies everyone :D

I will keep the Ram and Vid card. Hmm, although I could do without the modular PSU, I would prefer to have it. I think the 520HX would provide enough power. The only upgrades down the road I'll see to this machine is possible adding another HD and upgrading the gpu. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the heads up on getting stuff cheaper off amazon :) I'll definitely shift the items over there.

And as for checking out deals at other places, I have not yet. I just wanted to pick the parts first and see if you guys knew any better alternatives. I am also currently looking at the Dell 2209WA for my monitor.

I will also add that xigmatek dark knight cooler to the list.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions :D
 
I will keep the Ram and Vid card. Hmm, although I could do without the modular PSU, I would prefer to have it. I think the 520HX would provide enough power. The only upgrades down the road I'll see to this machine is possible adding another HD and upgrading the gpu. What do you guys think?

The 520HX would be more than enough power for just about any single GPU card out there, but in terms of price to performance, the 750TX is a better choice.
 
You won't need a better video card, for a while, with the 22 inch monitor.

I agree with Danny that the Corsair TX750 is the better choice price-wise.
 
Back
Top