i7 and Windows XP

Vycka

Weaksauce
Hey. I'd like to ask if i7 is fully compatible with Windows XP 32-bit Professional. My mobo will be GA-EX58-UD3R Gigabyte. 2x2GB DDR3 RAM, GTX285.

Not sure about vanilla XP but I ran pretty much that setup with SP3 for a couple of weeks for no problems that I could see. And yes, it'll show all 8 virtual cores and use them correctly.

I couldn't get i920 and a GB X58-DS4 to work with XP ( SP1/SP2 ).

1st of all , the mobo comes without a floppy with the sata drivers ; wtf?! ; anyway. Secondly I got a "IRQ not less or equal" after the restart , couldn't complete setup.

I pulled out everything except mobo, cpu, video and HDD.No results.

I ended up with Vista Ultimate 32 and it works nicely.

If XP is your preference*, have you considered going with the x64 version? The 32-bit address space is going to be cramped with your hardware.

*But I would just go with Vista x64.

1st of all , the mobo comes without a floppy with the sata drivers ;

Go into your BIOS and set the SATA controllers to something along the lines of emulated, IDE mode, etc.

Then you won't need to install drivers. You do lose the native command queuing but it's a moot point on the desktop environment.

Go into your BIOS and set the SATA controllers to something along the lines of emulated, IDE mode, etc.

Then you won't need to install drivers. You do lose the native command queuing but it's a moot point on the desktop environment.

It didn't work.

Legacy mode , IDE mode , etc ; I gave up and went Vista.

What do you mean? What are the implications? Would it be cramped even with Vista Ultimate 32bit?
With 1GB video memory already eating into your 4GB address space, you're left with a usable amount of RAM totaling, at most, 3GB. This barrier directly carries over into Vista 32-bit as well.

With x64 versions of Windows, you'll be able to utilize all 4GB of RAM, and "infinitely" more should the need arise; up to 2^64 bytes, barring potential motherboard and chipset limitations.

Windows Vista X64 Ultimate only supports up to 128GB of ram. You do not get the 64 bits of address space. I actually think that it is limited to 40 bits or 1TB.

Vista on a core i7 is not bad. You will be fine. Get the x64 version and enjoy it. Stop eating Apple's Marketting Dept's FUD about Vista.

EDIT:
128GB is not 40 bits of address space. The 128GB limit is a software limitation imposed by Microsoft, not the hardware. Hardware is 40 bits I think.

Windows Vista X64 Ultimate only supports up to 128GB of ram. You do not get the 64 bits of address space. I actually think that it is limited to 40 bits or 1TB.
Should have included that in my post, but for most users, 128GB is a virtually "unlimited" amount.

Back