• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 970 or 980 for folding

rick5127

Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
530
Say I just bought a 920 to fold on. Gonna replace my 940 with it as it will clock slightly higher. Something near 4.1+

However I am getting the bug to get a 6 core processor like the 970 or 980. I see 980's for around $650 and 970 are closer to $400. Since they both overclock about the same (assumption on my part) I am thinking dollar wise I would be smarter to get a 970. What do you guys think?

Another question is... will the 6 core at 4ghz be that much faster at folding than the 940 at 4ghz? Is it worth it to spend the money?

Just random thoughts from a folder who can't afford an SR-2...
 
go with the 970. there isn't anything different between them except the 980x having the unlocked multiplier. they both overclock exactly the same like you mentioned so theres absolutely no point in spending the extra money. obviously most people running the 980x didn't have that option when they first came out.

and yes theres a HUGE difference in performance between a 970 @ 4Ghz and a 940 @ 4Ghz when it comes to F@H. as well as the fact that the 970 should have no problems hitting 4.2-4.3Ghz if not more depending on the board and cooling you are using.

if you take a look here..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...YOXRnUVRzQ3pZVlE&hl=en&authkey=CMWAuLgM#gid=0

go to line 59, where it has filters numbers for his 980x @ 4.2Ghz on a 6900 WU and compare them to your 940.
 
Thanks so much for the quick answer.

Yep looks like it will about double my ppd.

Cooling is not a problem. Got the CM212 plus and she keeps the 940 in the < 60c range I imagine the 970 will do about the same.

Thanks again!
 
Where can I find me an i7 970 for around $400?

That was my first question as well.

I would go with which could be found cheaper, which would probably be a 970. I ran mine for a long time at 4.35 GHz, and only used a 21x multiplier. You are paying for simplicity with a 980x in that you can just crank up the multiplier to overclock it, similar to a 2600K. If you are willing to go through the normal X58 overclocking procedure, you will end up with about the same results with either chip.

Speaking of 2600K's, have you considered going with one of those instead of a hex? At $280 new for the processor and 55K ppd without really trying (58K-60K if you do try), they are a great folding bargain these days. They are actually more efficient (ppd/W) than a hex core Intel system as well.
 
970 here. All I could reach was 4.15, but that was good for: -smp 12 (dedicated) -bigadv ~55,000 PPD. -smp 10 (and doing other stuff with the machine like GPU folding) -bigadv ~43,000 PPD. So what am I doing wrong as a cheap ass 2600K is better than my hex?
 
970 here. All I could reach was 4.15, but that was good for: -smp 12 (dedicated) -bigadv ~55,000 PPD. -smp 10 (and doing other stuff with the machine like GPU folding) -bigadv ~43,000 PPD. So what am I doing wrong as a cheap ass 2600K is better than my hex?

Windows client I am guessing?
 
As a 980x owner I'd say if you want to stay with the socket 1366 save your money go with the 970. I can't add to the reasons already stated earlier in the thread.

@ jfb9301: you should be able to hit 4.35 like Musky but a lot of it depends on the cooling and how much voltage you are using. With water cooling I'm able to hit 4.4 ghz and my vcore is 1.38. I can't link to this site from work for some reason but l suggest looking for the "3 Step Overclocking Guide - Bloomfield and Gulftown." It worked nicely for me.
 
Speaking of 2600K's, have you considered going with one of those instead of a hex? At $280 new for the processor and 55K ppd without really trying (58K-60K if you do try), they are a great folding bargain these days. They are actually more efficient (ppd/W) than a hex core Intel system as well.
2600k makes more sense from scratch, but as a drop-in replacement the 970 is the better bet. and its cheaper than a SB+mobo combo if he can get one for $400

we can't all go building new folding rigs all the time ;)
 
Good point - I forgot about already having the board. Still, if you live near a Microcenter and your current socket 1366 HSF will work on a socket 1155, it would be close even at $400 for a 970 (which I doubt you would ever find.) Sell the X58 board and you would most likely be money ahead going the 2600K route.
 
sell your current x58 gear, transfer as many parts over, build 2600k, profit.
 
I have two 980Xs, since the price differential from the 970 was never big enough to not go for the unlocked multiplier. However, if you're seeing 970s much cheaper, that's probably a better choice.
 
I have two 980Xs, since the price differential from the 970 was never big enough to not go for the unlocked multiplier. However, if you're seeing 970s much cheaper, that's probably a better choice.

Yup! Back when I jumped onto my Gulftown, the 970 was selling for $900 versus the 980x selling for $1000. It was a no brainer to just pony up the extra $100 and go for hassle free overclocking. Mine was able to clock to 4.1ghz, but it was running a bit too hot for my Cogage cooler to handle as temps were hitting low 80's. I'm currently running mine at stock voltage at 3.6ghz, which is as far as I can get it on stock vcore. It is currently running in the high 60's and low 70's, but that case has 2 dead fans now and I think it is also due for a cleaning.
 
Well I thought I had seen one for $400. Can't find it now.

In any case the SB 2600K is close in cost. So if I can't find any 970's near the $400 range I will just dump the 1366 board and get a whole new setup.

Any 970 over $450 or so just doesn't make sense. Cheaper to buy the 2600K and a new motherboard.
 
Well I thought I had seen one for $400. Can't find it now.

In any case the SB 2600K is close in cost. So if I can't find any 970's near the $400 range I will just dump the 1366 board and get a whole new setup.

Any 970 over $450 or so just doesn't make sense. Cheaper to buy the 2600K and a new motherboard.

A highly overclocked SB from what I see can match stock 980 or 990x numbers. If that is the case, it sounds like you would still be better off trying to get a Gulftown as you only need to ask these other guys who are running their units on the edge. These Gulftowns can push some serious points when overclocked to 4ghz and higher.
 
A hex Gulftown is going ot out-produce the quad SB by quite a bit actually - in the 15K-20K ppd range. It is also going to use 50+ more watts with a good overclock on each. assuming you can get them for close to the same price, it is a matter of whether you want more ppd or to use less electricity for your points. It is a tough call...
 
Yah well I have pretty much decided if I don't get a 970 in the next day or so for around 400 then I am going SB 2600K. Just not worth the extra money for the Gulftown chips. Especially since the wattage is going to cost me even more in the long run. All in all I think the 2600K is the best ppd/w deal going.

I am a bit surprised that the 970's aren't coming down in price quickly. They just don't seem to be that valuable to me. Guess they are just trying to keep the price up as long as possible.

Meanwhile... looks like SB here I come...
 
There is no other single proc 6 core options from Intel. 970's and 980x's are still the fastest procs Intel sells by quite a bit, hence the high prices. Until there is something faster available, they will stay high.
 
A hex Gulftown is going ot out-produce the quad SB by quite a bit actually - in the 15K-20K ppd range. It is also going to use 50+ more watts with a good overclock on each. assuming you can get them for close to the same price, it is a matter of whether you want more ppd or to use less electricity for your points. It is a tough call...

Yeah, I meant that a highly overclocked SB running at 4.5+ghz will match what a stock 980 or 990 can produce at their stock frequencies. The production i'm seeing from you guys who are running at 4+ghz on your gulftowns is amazing. If I wasn't such a risk adverse wuss(I like my chips running no hotter than high 60's, or 72 at most), I might run it a little higher since I know from when I first got it that mine will hit at least 4.1ghz.
 
There is no other single proc 6 core options from Intel. 970's and 980x's are still the fastest procs Intel sells by quite a bit, hence the high prices. Until there is something faster available, they will stay high.

E5645? Not sure it would be worth it for basically the same price as the i7-970, but that is a good example.
 
Windows client I am guessing?

Yep

@ jfb9301: you should be able to hit 4.35 like Musky but a lot of it depends on the cooling and how much voltage you are using. With water cooling I'm able to hit 4.4 ghz and my vcore is 1.38. I can't link to this site from work for some reason but l suggest looking for the "3 Step Overclocking Guide - Bloomfield and Gulftown." It worked nicely for me.

I see the link Tobit posted. After I get to New York and unpack my computer, I'll make a go of overclocking again. I've hit much higher than 4.15, but I have not been able to successfully complete a WU. They usually crap out part way through. Although, I'm only using a 1.34 Vcore.

Cooling is a modified H70, so not quite water cooling, but better than stock H70. Using 2x 38x120mm Panaflo fans pushing 85 CFM through the rad, and a 38mm spacer to allow even air flow from the pushing fan. I know the spacer sounds silly, but it's worth it to me as it gets a 3C drop in core temp while folding. All in all I'm folding bigadv with peak core temps at 75C in a room temp of 85F.
 
Extra spicy hex cores are decently priced.

Yeah, but what are the odds that we'll see that kind of sale again on Fleabay? That was just awesome how the Hoard snapped up an overwhelming number of those extra special units.
 
Yah well I have pretty much decided if I don't get a 970 in the next day or so for around 400 then I am going SB 2600K. Just not worth the extra money for the Gulftown chips. Especially since the wattage is going to cost me even more in the long run. All in all I think the 2600K is the best ppd/w deal going.

I am a bit surprised that the 970's aren't coming down in price quickly. They just don't seem to be that valuable to me. Guess they are just trying to keep the price up as long as possible.

Meanwhile... looks like SB here I come...


one word for why they are still over priced... "Intel" and they will continue to stay over priced until bulldozer is released by AMD and even though i don't see the prices dropping under 400 dollars for the hex cores.
 
Not really. The $350 deals are long gone. I haven't seenone go for much under $500 in months.
Yeah, the spicy hexes I just bought were only $260 ea. less than retail boxes. However, when you have to buy two or more chips that's is still significant. :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, the spicy hexes I just bought were only $260 ea. less than retail boxes. However, when you have to buy two or more chips that's is still significant. :rolleyes:

Dang, I couldn't find any for a good price so finally just bought a Sandybridge motherboard and will go to Microcenter and get a processor. New Sandybridge machine will be ready to fold by the weekend.
 
I've seen $419 extra spicy hex cores on ebay in the last week. They are the low multi variety, but you can get 3.8ghz out of them.
 
I've seen $419 extra spicy hex cores on ebay in the last week. They are the low multi variety, but you can get 3.8ghz out of them.

Low multiplier? Aren't ES chips usually unlocked multi's?

I have been watching ebay for a few days but havent seen anything under $500. Oh well
 
I've seen 970's go in the $500 range on ebay, and that was a couple months ago, may be cheaper now. And from what I've seen, at the same overclocked frequency I'd take a 970 over a 2600k anyday.
 
Low multiplier? Aren't ES chips usually unlocked multi's?

Not modern Intel chips. The ES Xeons will usually have the same locked multiplier but often have different turbo multipliers, like one step lower than retail chips. There's no advantage to buying ES chips unless they are much cheaper than retail.
 
Back
Top