• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 930 vs I7 860?

fsh42na

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
1,472
The curiosity bug has bitten me again. I already have an I7 930 ready to go with my ASUS P6X58D, but I've been hearing some good stuff about the socket 1156 cpus. Specifically, the I7 870 (too expensive, though) which PC World rated 2nd to the I7 980X in their latest issue. Since the 870 is running $580 shipped at the Egg, I've decided to look into the 860 vs my 930.

Both run at 2.8 Ghz, both have 8mb cache, both are 45nm processes and both support hyperthreading (8 threads). Only visible difference is amount of juice they need with the 930 more power hungry. Oh, and since I have a Microcenter near me, the 860 at $229 is $30 more than the 930. The socket 1156 mobos are a bit cheaper too.

Which is the better cpu? I game a few hours a day, encode some videos and do some net surfing (just an average [H] member:D

Thanks
 
Don't bother with going to 1156. If you are curious about it, I guess you could make another setup but you wouldn't gain anything.
 
If you want something to play around with, pick up a cheap AMD combo or cheap i3 combo at microcenter. That should keep you occupied for about 1-2 hours. :p

IIRC their combos are about $80-100 so its not expensive at all.
 
If you want something to play around with, pick up a cheap AMD combo or cheap i3 combo at microcenter. That should keep you occupied for about 1-2 hours. :p

IIRC their combos are about $80-100 so its not expensive at all.

did that already and I'm still bored LOL:D
 
Back
Top