i7 930 overclocking thread

Thanks for the reply and advice sfsilicon.
I just tried some runs with Push/Pull this afternoon, and it did lower my temps 3-4 Degrees. I think I'll try for 4ghz soon, and with your much appreciated advice, I'll feel much more confident doing so this time. Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply and advice sfsilicon.
I just tried some runs with Push/Pull this afternoon, and it did lower my temps 3-4 Degrees. I think I'll try for 4ghz soon, and with your much appreciated advice, I'll feel much more confident doing so this time. Thanks again!

If you run into trouble just come back and ask. For your max temps measurement use realtemp and run 20 runs Linx.

followed the Cecils awesome guide started with turning up the voltages which worked fine but when i put the BCLK to 190 windows crashed during start so i put it to 180 and gradually managed to put the qpi and pll voltages back to stock without problem. while lowering the core voltage i made bigger steps which brought me to another bluescreen on 1.3125 and then another one at 1.325 (both while running linX) so i left the core voltage on 1.325 and lowered BCLK to 175 which works fine and made 20x linX no problem. appreciate any suggestions

User Name: yatagarasu
CPU: i7 930
FPO/Batch #: 3001A733
Store: alza.cz
Purchased In: April 2010

OC: 3850 MHz
Stability: stable so far
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 85C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / Yes / 22x
Stepping: 5
Revision: D0
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.325V
Cooling: air
Cooler brand/model: arctic cooling extreme rev.2

Motherboard: asus p6t ws
Operating System: Win7 64

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/821/cpustats2.jpg

followed the Cecils awesome guide started with turning up the voltages which worked fine but when i put the BCLK to 190 windows crashed during start so i put it to 180 and gradually managed to put the qpi and pll voltages back to stock without problem. while lowering the core voltage i made bigger steps which brought me to another bluescreen on 1.3125 and then another one at 1.325 (both while running linX) so i left the core voltage on 1.325 and lowered BCLK to 175 which works fine and made 20x linX no problem. appreciate any suggestions

Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 85C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / Yes / 22x

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/821/cpustats2.jpg

Your temps look high. Do you have a good retention mechanism for your ACX, e.g. bolt vs push pin. You might want to redo your TIM and see if you can get a clean install.

Also turn off TB. See if you can get a solid OC at 21x then you can try turning TB back on again.

What are you DRAM settings? Try lowering your DRAM and Uncore multipliers to remove them from the equation. Once your CPU OC is ok, turn up your multipliers.

User Name: Greatmemories
Batch #: not known yet didn't check yet.
store: newegg
purchased: april 9,201

OC: 3570 MHz as it reads
Stability: Still testing the next 5, 10 tests are the minimum I'm doing for now, later I'll do full 20.
Temp (Idle / Load): 44C / 92c
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / No / 21x
Vcore/Core Voltage: I have no clue where to look at it in the BIOS, but in cpu-z It reads 1.264 Volts
Cooling: air
Cooler brand/model: Cooler master hyper 212, wanted to get coolage spirit but didn't find it in newegg, BUT when I searched it at that name, it sent me to hyper 212, making me think its the same, I don't know.

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D premium
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Update: Also if anyone can help, which cooler is good for ocing at LEAST to 3.8? I see 92 c and that is not a good site for me, it finished testing and same results, 92 c being the highest, wondering if I need to do anything to make it lower, if it is VTT or vcore configuration, anything at all, mind showing me where it is located? :S

Last edited:
Update: Also if anyone can help, which cooler is good for ocing at LEAST to 3.8? I see 92 c and that is not a good site for me, it finished testing and same results, 92 c being the highest, wondering if I need to do anything to make it lower, if it is VTT or vcore configuration, anything at all, mind showing me where it is located? :S

Looks like you may have the heatsink on poorly. I have the 212+ and stable at 1.325v vcore never getting over 71C under load even at 3.99 GHz. It took me a remount and reapplication of AS5 to get it there.

User Name: DanNeely
FPO/Batch #: UnKnown
Store: NewEgg

OC: 4100 (21*196)
Stability: Stable. 72hrs p95, 50 runs LinX at 80F room temp.
Temp (Idle / Load): 42/82C during hotroom testing; ??/65C at 70F room temp and running einstien@home (normal operation)
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes/No/21
Stepping: Unknown
Revision: Unknown
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.35vcore, 1.35 vDimm, 1.9 vPLL
Cooling: water
Cooler brand/model: Apogee GTZ, 2x120 swiftech rad

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D premium
Bios Version: Unknown
Operating System: W7 64

RAM brand & type: GSkill 3x2GB DDR3
RAM Part #: F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
RAM rated speed: 2000mhz
RAM actual speed: 1568mhz
RAM Latency: 9-9-9-24-2T
RAM Voltage: 1.65V

My only major disappointment has been my ram's stubborn refusal to run much above 1800mhz; although with i7 memory bandwidth being as high as it is I mostly bought the ram to make sure it wouldn't be my OC bottleneck.

Looks like you may have the heatsink on poorly. I have the 212+ and stable at 1.325v vcore never getting over 71C under load even at 3.99 GHz. It took me a remount and reapplication of AS5 to get it there.

alright I get it now, so I just readjust my heatsink and probably better cooling will happen? ahh, well that is good but I thought it was 81c at 100 percent load in linx? a remount eh? well the motherboard has nothing to do with it right? just that thermal paste?

User Name: lt_wentoncha
FPO/Batch #: 3951A694
Store: Microcenter, Tustin, CA
Purchased In: Apr 2010

OC: 3980WIP, Prime95 running
Temp (Idle / Load): 38c/71c
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: no/no/22
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.36 on x58a-UD5
Cooling: H50 with push/pull with 2 scythe slipstreams
Cooler brand/model: H50

Motherboard: x58a-ud5
Bios Version: 1.5
Operating System: Win7 64 (the only thing about my build that's a huge turd)

RAM brand & type: G.SKILL Pi Series F3-12800CL7T-6GBP
RAM Part #: G.SKILL Pi Series F3-12800CL7T-6GBP
RAM rated speed: 1600
RAM actual speed: 1520
RAM Latency: 7-7-7-20
RAM Voltage: 1.55V

I'm not sure where I can improve, everything's on auto and in the zone. Overall...I'm fairly satisfied (temps are decent). I don't think I can get to 4.2 without a better cooler.

alright I get it now, so I just readjust my heatsink and probably better cooling will happen? ahh, well that is good but I thought it was 81c at 100 percent load in linx? a remount eh? well the motherboard has nothing to do with it right? just that thermal paste?

The first time I mounted mine, I didn't have a good seating. I'd recommend just trying that. If you're ok with the temps, don't worry too much. I think 81 under load in LinX is fine because those aren't normal conditions. If you do decide to remount, just put a 1/2 pea sized amount of paste in the middle of the chip and spread it evenly. Use a razor blade or something to smooth it.

User Name: Quoll
FPO/Batch #: 3001A131
Store: Micro Center - Marietta, GA(probably, was purchased by a relative from 1 of the 2 stores in GA)
Purchased In: March 2010

OC: 4.09
Stability: WIP
Temp (Idle / Load): WIP
Stepping: ?
Revision: ?
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.425
Cooling: AIO Water
Cooler brand/model: Corsair H50

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (rev. 1.0)
Bios Version: F13
Operating System: WinXP 64

RAM brand & type: Patriot 3x2GB DDR3
RAM Part #: PVT36G1600LLK
RAM rated speed: 1600 MHz
RAM actual speed: 1560
RAM Latency: WIP
RAM Voltage: 1.7

having odd issues I have yet to understand w/ this

Last edited:
Hey, just installed a 930 this morning. I am wondering if my idle temps are a bit high. The idle temps range from 35 - 40C. I water cool, with a swiftech WB and a 220 rad. Load temps never went over 60C and a room temp around 15C. I set all my bios settings to default because I have no started to O/C this cpu (yet) ;)

Hey, just installed a 930 this morning. I am wondering if my idle temps are a bit high. The idle temps range from 35 - 40C. I water cool, with a swiftech WB and a 220 rad. Load temps never went over 60C and a room temp around 15C. I set all my bios settings to default because I have no started to O/C this cpu (yet) ;)

Never really worried about the idle temps. Get Linx and Realtemp and run 20x to see your load temps. ;)

User Name: pacho
FPO/Batch #: 3002A648
Store: Infonec, Canada
Purchased In: April, 2010

OC: 4011 Mhz
Stability: 24hrs p95 / linx 25 runs
Temp (Idle / Load): 40c / 72c
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.31V
Cooling: Air
Cooler brand/model: Thermalright Venomous X

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Bios Version: F5 atm
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

RAM brand & type: G Skill 3x2GB DDR3
RAM Part #: Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
RAM rated speed: 1600 Mhz
RAM actual speed: 1528 Mhz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-24 2T
RAM Voltage: 1.6V

Here's mine for the database. Notice most everybody got a "A" batch 930, mine has a "B" in its Batch #.

User Name: Enigma422
FPO/Batch #: 3938B269
Store: ZipZoomFly

OC: 4200 MHz (200 MHz x 21)
Stability: LinX 50 Stable
Temp (Idle / Load): 34C (Coolest Idle Core)/74C (Hottest Load Core) - Tested on a hot day turned AC off in the room to really stress the temps.
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.2750
Cooling: Water
Cooler brand/model: Swiftech Apogee XT/Swiftech MCP655 Pump/Black Ice Stealth GT360 Push/Pull

Motherboard: eVGA X58 3x SLI Classified E760
Bios Version: S61J
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

RAM brand & type: G.Skill
RAM Part #: F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ
RAM actual speed: 1600 MHz
RAM Latency: 9-9-9-24-74-1T
RAM Voltage: 1.65V

I can bench at 4.4GHz @ 1.37V but would crash in LinX after about 10 minute. Too much of a voltage/temp increase for my taste for an extra 200MHz.

We should make a scatter plot of these OCs and compare it to the 920... lol. I'll fill this in as I go.

User Name: dmo580
FPO/Batch #: 3002A717
Store: Micro Center in San Jose, CA

OC: 4011 MHz (191 MHz x 21)
Stability: LinX 6 hr 40 min Stable (however many passes that is)
Temp (Idle / Load): 37C (Coolest Idle Core)/74C (Hottest Load Core)
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.34375
Cooler brand/model: Noctua NH-D14 w/ stock fans + IC Diamond 7

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Bios Version: F5
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

RAM Part #: F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH
RAM rated speed: 2000 MHz
RAM actual speed: 1528 MHz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-24-1T
RAM Voltage: 1.64V

Still testing stability and stuff. Slowly moving up 2 MHz BCLK at a time. I guess voffset + vdroop is pretty bad on these Gigabyte boards. When I set 1.30, i'm getting like 1.26 on CPUZ/Everest. 1.23 on load. Not sure if I should be telling myself "I needed 1.3 to hit 3.9" or should I be thinking "well its closer to 1.23 at load so I still have headroom till 1.35"

Maybe I should think about load line calibration later on?

Last edited:
Do my temps suck btw? I load around 70C as the highest core.

I just completed:

3.89 GHz, (185x21) at 1.300 vcore (BIOS). Cooling with Noctua NH-D14 with IC 7 Diamond. This is done with a bare bones system on my desk, so I imagine it will get hotter in a case.

vdimm = 1.64, and vqpi/vtt = 1.300

Somehow I feel like I'm getting crap temps.

From what I've seen these i7s run pretty hot, a lot hotter than the C2D in my previous system. The magic number for these chips are 85C under full load. If you can keep it under 85C you should be fine for 24/7 use.

dmo580 do you load line calibration on that board? if you do you can enable it to remove vdroop.

over on overclock.net it seems the chips to get are A187's and A687's in terms of voltage and speed. I have the 687 and its a pretty awesome chip. 4.2ghz with 1.30vcore. Pretty low temps as well.

Do my temps suck btw? I load around 70C as the highest core.

I just completed:

3.89 GHz, (185x21) at 1.300 vcore (BIOS). Cooling with Noctua NH-D14 with IC 7 Diamond. This is done with a bare bones system on my desk, so I imagine it will get hotter in a case.

vdimm = 1.64, and vqpi/vtt = 1.300

Somehow I feel like I'm getting crap temps.

From what I've seen these i7s run pretty hot, a lot hotter than the C2D in my previous system. The magic number for these chips are 85C under full load. If you can keep it under 85C you should be fine for 24/7 use.

This.
dmo580, raise the volts and keep pushing mate :) 70c is cool for full load, as said 85c is the point where you'd want to stop for 24/7 really. That said, mine hits 90c if it's hot in my room, still going and i've had this chip for over a year.

I'm hitting a wall. I benched overnight 191x21 (4011 MHz). Stable for for 6 hrs ors o.

Vcore was set to 1.34375
CPU-Z reading 1.31/1.28 load/idle

But raising to 192 causes the system to crash. Blah. I can raise the voltage one more notch to 1.35 but I don't see how much that will buy me considering it's pretty much the max everyone recommends. I guess I'm just jealous seeing the 4.2ghz @ 1.35v that people have :D or even lower voltages!

I have not tried LLC yet but I read some articles on Anandtech and some other places that discourage LLC. I understand exactly why, and it seems LLC is more of a personal preference if you know what you're doing. I guess my fear is that those spikes can easily overshoot my preset vcore. Of course the benefit is that I get a more stable voltage delivery.

Edit: I updated a few posts above with the template with my new clocks.

Batch 3001A179(vcore 1.25)

8 hours prime 95
bench.png

Vantage
i used to have a score of 34604 when i had 2x295 in sli but i sold one of them as it was not needed for playing games on a single monitor at 1920*1080 res.

vantage.png

Linx 20 passes
linx20pasfullmemuse.png

Occt(Linpack) 2 hrs
occt2hrs.png

I believe that my pc is very stable at 4ghz,I think i could take this chip much higher but im happy at 4ghz for now.

Why not just sell it on here or ebay and buy another from MC? You can make a few bucks as well. I did that for my previous i7's before I got my current one. I made $20 bucks on each while getting a better chip lol.

User Name: bustaplz
FPO/Batch #: 3001A127
Store: Newegg
Purchased In: March 2010

OC: 3806MHz (22x173MHz) I seem to be maxing out at 3.8. Machine doesn't want to boot into Windows at 4.0 anymore.
Stability: A few hours Prime95, 1 hour LinX. Two weeks daily use and gaming(no shutdowns).
Temp (Idle / Load): 39°C-36°C-36°C-38°C / 71°C-69°C-66°C-63°C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes/Yes/22x
Vcore/Core Voltage:1.232v
Cooler Brand/Model: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Bios Version: F6
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
RAM brand & type: G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3
RAM Part #: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
RAM actual speed: 1384 MHz
RAM Latency: 9-9-9-24 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.5v
VTT: 1.175v

Last edited:
i have a i7 930, it loads at 80c stock 1.25vcore with a nh-u12p. i think the cooler is at fault, i felt the heatpipes at the base and they do not get warm.

i just changed to a nh-c12p i used on my c2d rig and it gets the same temps, so this means i have a bad oc chip?

Last edited:
i have a i7 930, it loads at 80c stock 1.25vcore with a nh-u12p. i think the cooler is at fault, i felt the heatpipes at the base and they do not get warm.

i just changed to a nh-c12p i used on my c2d rig and it gets the same temps, so this means i have a bad oc chip?

Dumb question, are you using any thermal compound? Are you seeing an imprint on the thermall compound after you remove the heatsink that confirms that you are getting good contact?

What are you using for load testing? Have you locked down all voltages or are you using auto? 80C does sound like a lot. When I load my 930 and touch the heatsink I can feel it warm up.

Dumb question, are you using any thermal compound? Are you seeing an imprint on the thermall compound after you remove the heatsink that confirms that you are getting good contact?

What are you using for load testing? Have you locked down all voltages or are you using auto? 80C does sound like a lot. When I load my 930 and touch the heatsink I can feel it warm up.

paste looks good, it spreads out well. the corners of the cpu heatspreader may be raised though because i can see marks from the outer edges on the heatsink base. i use linx for stress testing. i use auto for all voltages except cpu vcore.

i can set the voltage to 1.12v and get about 70c load.

Last edited:
User Name: Chakkasol
FPO/Batch #: 3951A808
Store: Microcenter, Long Island, NY
Purchased In: Apr 2010

OC: 4.2 Ghz (21x200)
Temp (Idle / Load): 42c/74c (on a very hot day)
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: no/no/21
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.3125v
Cooling: H50 with push/pull
Cooler brand/model: H50

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
Bios Version: 808
Operating System: Win7 x64

RAM brand & type: Mushkin Blackline 998679
RAM actual speed: 1600
RAM Latency: 7-8-7-20 1T
VTT: 1.2875v

Just reporting in as others have confirmed that batch 3951A808 is a very good batch. Easily reached and have been playing at 4.2 Ghz for quite a while - both Prime95 and Lynx stable. Can also easily post at 4.4 ghz but have to raise vcore much higher and temps go up to 80c. Very satisfied with a 50% stable overclock with max linx temps at 75c. Also with HT enabled and a little more vcore, temps also go above 80c - just think its not wise when temps go above 75c max load. FPS games at 4.2 ghz temps normally only reach no more than 65c (leaving real temp active while playing).

Last edited:
holy crap turning HT off is like hax. I hit a wall at 4.13 or so because I refused to go past 1.35V in BIOS. Well I flip HT off and the temps drop 10 deg like BAM. Maybe more. I clock all the way to 4.2 (am benching now) and temps are still 10 deg lower than before at 4.13 ghz with HT.

Maybe I'll set a personal best Super Pi 1M time, verify stability at 4.2 without HT and then call it a day. I'll go back to HT and back to finding 24/7.

holy crap turning HT off is like hax. I hit a wall at 4.13 or so because I refused to go past 1.35V in BIOS. Well I flip HT off and the temps drop 10 deg like BAM. Maybe more. I clock all the way to 4.2 (am benching now) and temps are still 10 deg lower than before at 4.13 ghz with HT.

Maybe I'll set a personal best Super Pi 1M time, verify stability at 4.2 without HT and then call it a day. I'll go back to HT and back to finding 24/7.

If your not using an application (e.g. Adobe CS4 up) that can use HT then turn it off. There are not many apps that use HT to the maximum, there is a good Gulftown article on Tomshardware that covers which apps get a boost from HT.

Thanks everyone for their continued support of the thread by posting their profiles. We are now at 40+ profiles and the 930 is looking like an good OC'er for 4GHz+ on decent Air cooling or 4.2GHz+ for Water. For the folks that were in a hurry, please go back when you have time and post a full profile or update the one you originally posted. THX.

This is from my new CPU I just got on Sat after exchanging my old one

User Name: dmo580
FPO/Batch #: 3001A760
Store: Micro Center in San Jose, CA (May 8)

OC: 4095 MHz (195 MHz x 21) (This is a WIP. I'm still running out of the case so I'll need to settle on something in-case and for 24/7)
Stability: LinX 1 hr Stable (however many passes that is)
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 83C (Hottest Load Core)
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.35 in BIOS, 1.312-1.328 in Windows under load. Load Line Calibration Level 1 is ON
Cooler brand/model: Noctua NH-D14 w/ stock fans + AS5 (In open air)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Bios Version: F5
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

RAM Part #: F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH
RAM rated speed: 2000 MHz
RAM actual speed: 1182 MHz (out of the way for now)
RAM Latency: 9-9-9-24-1T

i7occhart.PNG

Last edited:
Man, I had been staying away from this thread is it'll cost me money if I keep browsing/reading it. Now ya'll have me itching to go get a 930, mobo, ram, psu, case, hell lets toss in a video card too. Bah I hate ya'll.... :(

So with the whole vdroop issue....

is the CPU-Z voltage the "Actual" voltage?

I mean, if i'm reading 1.288 off cpu-z, and have the voltage set 1.3 in bios, does that mean cpu-z is reporting the correct volts?

is it therefore safe, then, to UP the voltage in bios IN ORDER to have the correct TARGET voltage in cpu-z?

Last edited:

I mean, if i'm reading 1.288 off cpu-z, and have the voltage set 1.3 in bios, does that mean cpu-z is reporting the correct volts?

is it therefore safe, then, to UP the voltage in bios IN ORDER to have the correct TARGET voltage in cpu-z?

CPU-Z voltage reading isn't 100% accurate, but the indication that the actual voltage is lower than what was set in BIOS is TRUE.

vdroop reduces the actual voltage from what was set in the BIOS to compensate for voltage spike. You can enable feature like Load Line Calibration to compensate for this drop so the actual voltage is closer to what you set in BIOS.

Or as you said, you compensate it yourself by setting a higher BIOS voltage.

As long as you are in a safe zone, you should be safe, because any spike will still remain in the safe zone. I don't know whats advisable if you are running close to the limit, as these spikes may go above the limit.

User Name: krescent
FPO/Batch #: 3951A723
Store: Microcenter Tustin, CA

OC: 4.01ghz
Stability: 20x Linx ran properly
Temp (Idle / Load): 38 / 70
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.312V CPU-Z 1.325 BIOS
Cooling: Water
Cooler brand/model: Corsair H50 Push/Pull Stock TIM

Motherboard: P6X58D-E
Bios Version:
Operating System: Win7 64

RAM brand & type: G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHZ
RAM Part #:
RAM actual speed: 1527
RAM Latency: 7-8-7-24 2T
RAM Voltage: 1.64

WIP---want to mess with ram. Goal: 202x21 1T

CPU-Z voltage reading isn't 100% accurate, but the indication that the actual voltage is lower than what was set in BIOS is TRUE.

vdroop reduces the actual voltage from what was set in the BIOS to compensate for voltage spike. You can enable feature like Load Line Calibration to compensate for this drop so the actual voltage is closer to what you set in BIOS.

Or as you said, you compensate it yourself by setting a higher BIOS voltage.

As long as you are in a safe zone, you should be safe, because any spike will still remain in the safe zone. I don't know whats advisable if you are running close to the limit, as these spikes may go above the limit.
Very good explination Hornet.

If you want to know the actual voltages, the only way to tell them is with a multimeter. However, for most cases, like when you are playing in the safe zone, reading CPUz's voltage reading (or most software's voltage reading, some report the bios setting, while some report the measured voltage) is fine. If you were running above 1.4V then I'd start looking more towards a multimeter.

Very good explination Hornet.

If you want to know the actual voltages, the only way to tell them is with a multimeter. However, for most cases, like when you are playing in the safe zone, reading CPUz's voltage reading (or most software's voltage reading, some report the bios setting, while some report the measured voltage) is fine. If you were running above 1.4V then I'd start looking more towards a multimeter.

Only things I'd add is that I've heard Everest is the closest to actual. You can view the vdroop by monitoring what happens to the Vcore when you put the CPU under load. This all assumes that your not using auto voltage settings. i7 bumps up voltages on auto settings to ensure cores get enough voltage to run stable.

Back