i7 930 overclocking thread

I'd like to update my profile. I found a bios template on the evga forums that helped me a ton and got me to 4ghz stable with HT. And keeping the core under 80C in linx and the windows are closed. Also BFBC2 stable.

User Name: (skindogg)
CPU: i7 930
FPO/Batch #: (Example: 3951A687)
Store: (Microcenter Columbus, OH)
Purchased In: (March 11 2010)

OC: (3990.0Mhz)
Stability: (WIP: Ran 20 Linx passes at 4096MiB)
Temp (Idle / Load): (Example: 41c / 77c)
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: (Yes / No / 21x)
Stepping: (5)
Revision: (D0)
Vcore/Core Voltage: (1.30V) -Without VDroop
Cooling: (Air)
Cooler brand/model: (NH-U12P SE1366)

Motherboard: (EVGA X58 SLI LE)
Bios Version: (S71H)
Operating System: (Win7 64)

RAM brand & type: (OCZ 3x2GB DDR3)
RAM Part #: (OCZ3G1600LV2G)
RAM rated speed: (1600 MHz)
RAM actual speed: (760 MHz - 2x CPU-Z DRAM Frequency)
RAM Latency: (9-9-9-20-74 1T)
RAM Voltage: (1.65V)

The VREG still goes to about 70C but I'll get a fan for that shortly. I've read these are fine to operate up to 100C.

Other voltages of note:
CPU VTT: 1.2
QPI PLL: 1.225 (I think this one was holding me back originally)
ICH vcore: 1.2

With a H50 and a case with normal ambient temps you should be able to hit 4.2GHz. Check out post 2 for Cecil's guide. Follow that to hit 4GHz. You can then either scale back to the lowest temps and voltages to maintain a stable OC to 4GHz or try for 4.2GHz or higher. If your going for the former once you have the lowest voltage settings for 4GHz you can always back it off further by doing 3.8GHz or 3.5GHz then repeat the voltage lowering process to get even lower temps.

Yes, after your suggestion i got to 4.0Ghz (192x21) easily with an H50, HT on, Vcore 1.288, Vtt 1.25, Vdram 1.6, everything else stock. Temps were mid to high 70s on load. Got a massive increase in gflops as well. So thanks for that. I was alble to enable EIST (Speedstep?) so that i get the 22x multiplier when not using all the threads = 4.22Ghz, which was also stable as long as i bumped up 1 more on Vcore to 1.3. As a bonus got the powersaving downclock when idle, so idle temps remain mid to high 30s. Neat processor.

4.2 on 8 threads required a substantial increase in Vcore and Vtt for me. Pushed temps over 80 for a full memory run on LinX so i decided not to keep that. But if your happy with 80+ stress temps it'll do it. I'm not convinced the H50 is much better than air, however its certainly quieter, might try reseating with artic silver instead of the gunk it came with. I run a push pull exhausting the case and a pair of super quiet 40mm fans on the IOH heatsink (cos my board has issues with IOH temp).

User Name: NGL_BrSH
FPO/Batch #: 3001A124
Store: MicroCenter Cambridge Massachusetts
Purchased In: March, 2010

OC: 4.26 ghz
Stability: linX 30 passes, memtest 3 passes
Temp (Idle / Load): 34C / 57C measured with Core Temp 0.99.5
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: No / No / 21x
Stepping: 5
Revision: D0
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.36 Bios /cpu-z 1.33
Cooling: Water
dual 120 radiator Apogee XT

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Rev.1.0
Bios Version: F4 (flashed back from F5 to deal with some memory issues)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w (pre-ocz buyout)
Operating System: Win 7 64 bit Pro

RAM brand & type: GSkill PI series
RAM Part #: F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
RAM rated speed: 1600 MHz
RAM actual speed: 1624 MHz
RAM Latency: 7-8-7-24 2T
RAM Voltage: 1.5V

Still refining voltages and tightening timings and going higher in oc. Just no time lately. So far so good. Love my setup.
4-13-2010

Last edited:
Yes, after your suggestion i got to 4.0Ghz (192x21) easily with an H50, HT on, Vcore 1.288, Vtt 1.25, Vdram 1.6, everything else stock. Temps were mid to high 70s on load. Got a massive increase in gflops as well. So thanks for that. I was alble to enable EIST (Speedstep?) so that i get the 22x multiplier when not using all the threads = 4.22Ghz, which was also stable as long as i bumped up 1 more on Vcore to 1.3. As a bonus got the powersaving downclock when idle, so idle temps remain mid to high 30s. Neat processor.

I'm totally trying these settings on mine when I get home. What was the bit about powersaving downclock though? Is that on by default? My idles are much higher than yours at 3.8ghz. (mid to high 40s)

4.2 on 8 threads required a substantial increase in Vcore and Vtt for me. Pushed temps over 80 for a full memory run on LinX so i decided not to keep that. But if your happy with 80+ stress temps it'll do it. I'm not convinced the H50 is much better than air, however its certainly quieter, might try reseating with artic silver instead of the gunk it came with. I run a push pull exhausting the case and a pair of super quiet 40mm fans on the IOH heatsink (cos my board has issues with IOH temp).

I believe that gunk is Shin-Etsu, which is supposed to be very, very good gunk. I'd be interested in hearing what results you see though.

I'm starting to think people are reporting their CPU temps, and not CORE temps. I just don't see how people are getting sub 60 degree loads with the same/similar setups I do, unless I measure with the cpu temp. By using that metric, I'd be getting 27c idle, 55c load, which is NOT the same as a core load temp. I find the CORE temps to be more meaningful.

If i push ram further wont it make o/c unstable? being new to i7 overclocking im still play around with all the settings etc current settings is what bios choose by itself i only put the manual timings in .

cheers :)

usually on RAM you need to manually set the voltage, sometimes the timings, and then the clock as well. You can typically achieve a nice high stable overclock on 2ghz ram. My system can handle the temps for 4.4+ but my RAM poops out by then because I'm pushing way over the 1600 it was rated for. As it is @ 4.3, I'm running my ram @ 1.636ghz.

That RAM you're using is rated for 2000mhz, he's just suggesting that you take it there.

Headcase_Fargone, if your new to i7 OC'ing, the first thing you have to do remove auto setting from they key voltages Vcore, Vqpi, Vdram and turn-off any feature that changes the core speeds (e.g. EIST, Speedstep, TB). The former was new for me coming from the Core2 architecture. The later was know because changes in speeds can cause instability when pushing a chip towards its limits. Once your OC is stable you can go back and play around with the TB , Speedstep, etc to improve single core performance or power savings when idle.

My recommendation is to follow Cecil's Easy i7 Oc'ing guide (see post #2 for link) since it puts you smack in the middle of what most 930s will do, then gives you the option to tweak for lower temps or max OC.

ChucklesC6, not sure what people are using. It also depends on the load they are putting on. I'm betting some folks are not clear what tools to use and what methodology to follow, so they post what they know.

I use Real Temp and 20 runs of Linx. Linx generates more heat than Prime95 in shorter time. RealTemp tracks min/max temps for all 4 cores (just remember to reset it before doing a new run). I then use the highest max core temp of the four cores and the average of the min temp. That's just me, but it doesn't make sense to cheat on your max temps. You want to generate the most heat (Linx, OCCT or Intel Burn In) and track the maximums accurately for long term life and stability.

Lowres when your ready please update your original profile with your new OC. I go back and check those regularly and I'll update the info or post a new profile. TY.

Lowres when your ready please update your original profile with your new OC. I go back and check those regularly and I'll update the info or post a new profile. TY.

Updated!

Headcase_Fargone: interesting, didn't know that about the H50 gunk. If thats the case i think i've hit a temp wall with the H50. I wasn't expecting miracles so thats ok but i was still hopeful...:D

Last edited:
I've had good luck with arctic silver but have recently moved onto IC Diamond 7 with better results.

ChucklesC6:
I am using Core Temp 0.99.5 and linX for my heat results.. however i'm using a great watercooling loop isolated solely for my cpu and not to mention i've disabled hyper threading which dropped temps about 9-11c.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with arctic silver but have recently moved onto IC Diamond 7 with better results.

ChucklesC6:
I am using Core Temp 0.99.5 and linX for my heat results.. however i'm using a great watercooling loop isolated solely for my cpu and not to mention i've disabled hyper threading which dropped temps about 9-11c.

I see.
Always made me wonder if I did something wrong with my loop.

I'm using a triple 120 radiator (waterflow should not be an issue with twin MP655) with the same waterblock that is also dedicated solely to CPU at this point, but my HT is still on. I have heard dropping HT on average loses 10c, but that would only bring my 20pass Linx down to 61-65c. I am pushing more voltage, though. I am now Idling @ 36-40 (depending on ambient). Average about 38. Load I'm seeing 71-75.

Last edited:
I see.
Always made me wonder if I did something wrong with my loop.

I'm using a triple 120 radiator (waterflow should not be an issue with twin MP655) with the same waterblock that is also dedicated solely to CPU at this point, but my HT is still on. I have heard dropping HT on average loses 10c, but that would only bring my 20pass Linx down to 61-65c. I am pushing more voltage, though. I am now Idling @ 36-40 (depending on ambient). Average about 38. Load I'm seeing 71-75.

Your <80c temps are fine. If your not stable in the 70ies then you need to increase voltage to the different OC'ed parts in the i7 (core, qpi, dram, etc) to see if the resulting sharper edges will increase stability. Remember there is a limit where putting too much voltage will kill or degrade your chip independent of temps. Turning off HT might actually help get higher clocks since their would be less circuitry (thus less temp) running.

Hi all,

I'm basically a first-time overclocker - I've helped some friends do it in the past, but this is the first time I'm flying solo. Here are the parts:

CPU = i7 930 (Batch: 3951A808)
MOBO = Asus P6T SE
RAM = OCZ 1333 3x2GB 7-7-7-20
CPU Cooler = Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
PSU = Corsair TX 750
GPU = XFX 5770 1 GB
HDD = 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Case = Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
Thermal Paste = Coolermaster High Performance Thermal Compound Kit (Highly rated thermal paste on Tigerdirect) - Silicon-based

OS = Windows 7 64-bit

I've updated the BIOS to Rev. 808. Also, I've read a bunch of guides, including the two posted at the beginning of this thread and one on clunkforums that has similar parts to mine.

Anyway, the best I've really been able to do was 3.5 GHz, with following settings:

Vcore: 1.2 V
BLCK: 166 MHz
Memory: 1331 MHz
Uncore: 2661 MHz
DRAM: 1.6 V
DRAM Settings: 7-7-7-20

I tried the following:

QPI Voltage: 1.25
BLCK: 180
Memory: (can't remember but I adjusted it down)
Uncore: 2x Memory

&:

QPI: Auto
BLCK: 177

In the first case, I couldn't get it to boot to Windows, and in the second, I got BSOD after I tried to kick off Prime95.

Another thing of note: For the overclock to 3.5, Core Temp indicated that temps went as high as 69C on Core 0, and up to 65-67 on the remaining three. After I stopped the test, the temps dropped back to low 30C within 2s. Interestingly enough, when I ran Prime95 on Stock settings, the temps were about the same. I'm thinking this either means I applied the paste wrong, or the CPU cooler isn't working.

UPDATE: After writing the above, I tried once more for an overclock, with the following setting:

Vcore: 1.275
QPI Voltage: 1.3
BLCK: 177
Memory: 1065
Uncore: 2x Memory
Vdimm: 1.64

I was able to get this to run Prime95 stably for at least half an hour. Unfortunately, the temps are really getting up there (peaking around 77-79 for Core 0/1, 74C for Core 2/3). CPU-Z is clocking in at 3900 MHz, but that's using x22 Multiplier, so I feel like this is more of a 3.7 GHz overclock, which isn't all that good (particularly for those temps).

Like I said, I'm basically a n00b to overclocking. Any help/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any safety measures that I may be overlooking as a first-timer (I'm not exceeding recommended voltage, at least), pointing them out would be great. I'd rather get a weak overclock than a fried machine.

Try following Cecil's guide in post #2. It walks you through getting to 4GHz, then you have the option of going for a max overclock or cool overclock. You can bump up your Vcore to 1.3 to 1.35V. BSOD normally means more Vcore needed. As you increase Vcore watch out for your temps, you didn't mention what cooling your using. Keep your temps below 83c for all your cores when running Linx.

Thanks for the reply - At the very beginning, I mention I'm using the Coolermaster Hyper 212 +, and a Silicon-based Coolermaster Thermal Compound Kit (whatever was highest-rated on Tigerdirect). Are you referring to something else, or was it just lost in the fray (I realize it was a length post, heh).

I'm a little worried about going to 1.3, or even 1.35. After I submitted that post, I let Prime95 keep running, and Cores 0/1 hit 81C, at which point I turned it off. That seems really high for 1.275 Vcore and 1.3V QPI. Is there anything else I can do other than reseat the heatsink to bring temps down? I'm wondering if there's another knob I need to be tweaking in order to maintain a better balance between temps/voltage/speed.

I'll take another look at Cecil's guide, but thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the reply - At the very beginning, I mention I'm using the Coolermaster Hyper 212 +, and a Silicon-based Coolermaster Thermal Compound Kit (whatever was highest-rated on Tigerdirect). Are you referring to something else, or was it just lost in the fray (I realize it was a length post, heh).

I'm a little worried about going to 1.3, or even 1.35. After I submitted that post, I let Prime95 keep running, and Cores 0/1 hit 81C, at which point I turned it off. That seems really high for 1.275 Vcore and 1.3V QPI. Is there anything else I can do other than reseat the heatsink to bring temps down? I'm wondering if there's another knob I need to be tweaking in order to maintain a better balance between temps/voltage/speed.

thats huge for 1.275 vcore. What are your other voltages?
reseat heatsink and reapply thermal compound. I can't speak to how good Coolermaster stuff is, but I've seen most using Arctic Silver 5. Don't use too much/little either. Grain of rice works for me.

think I found a new way of stress testing. I was encoding one of my movies tonight, and that sucker hit 71c!:eek:

Yup lengthy post. ;) Hyper 212+ is not the best cooler, but it should be better than stock Intel. Are you shooting for 4GHz? You might be cooling bound.

Lot's of folks have used 1.35V (I'd stop at 1.4V if your temps are ok) including me. Linx will generate more heat than prime so I use that. Less than 83c is fine for 20 runs and great for long Prime95 runs. So long as you have thermal management on your ok with short term high temps and should hear an alarm or the CPU will throttle itself so don't worry about hitting 85c briefly.

The only other thing I can think of to lower your temps is to turn off HT.

If you have a second fan try doing a push pull config to see if more airflow will lower your temps.

User Name: Bloblike
FPO/Batch #: 3002A574
Store: Micro Center, Rockville MD
Purchased In: April 2010

OC: 4016 MHz
Stability: Stable 12.0 Hrs Prime95 blend no BSOD
Temp (Idle / Load): 45C/80C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / Yes / 22x
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.25V
Cooling: Air
Cooler brand/model: Noctua NH-U12P SE

Motherboard: eVGA x58 SLI LE
Bios Version: 51
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

RAM brand & type: OCZ 3x2GB modules
RAM Part #: OCZ3G1600LV6GK
RAM actual speed: 1600 MHz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-24 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.65V

Last edited:
can you get a higher oc with ht on or off

Higher OC with HT off. Less circuitry running + lower temps. Some performance hit for folks running apps that can use more than 4 virtual cores (not many right now). You might be able to balance that effect out by the higher OC you achieve.

User Name: Bloblike
FPO/Batch #: 3002A574
Store: Micro Center, Rockville MD
Purchased In: April 2010

Cool, first 3002Axxx batch. Thanks for posting.

Looks like you can add me to the 4ghz club. Updated info.
User Name: oilfieldtrash
FPO/Batch #: 3952A521
Store: MC Dallas Tx
Purchased In: March 2010 microcenter dallas tx

OC: 4011mhz
Stability: 15 linx runs, testing with prime95 now
Temp (Idle / Load): 39/82
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: yes/no/21
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.32 in bios
Cooling: air
Cooler brand/model: megahalems

Motherboard: ga x58 ud3r
Bios Version:
Operating System:Win7 64

RAM brand & type: corsair dominator 3X2gb
RAM Part #:
RAM rated speed: 1600mhz
RAM actual speed:1528mhz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-23 2T
RAM Voltage: 1.62

Nice thread BTW

Started adding more tips and tricks as well as FAQs into post #2. If your in a rush to OC, I recommend reading Cecil's guide.

Ok, so I reseated the heat sink, as well as switched out the thermal paste for the stuff included in the Hyper 212 + packaging. Not really seeing any difference in temps, which is disheartening. Is this just a ****ty CPU cooler? The reviews I read online led me to believe otherwise.

I've been testing different settings - with BLCK = 177, 1.25 Vcore, 1.8 PLL, 1.25 Vqpi, 1.6 Vdimmemps around, I still have max temps up to 75C.

I reread Cecil's guide, but it seemed to be almost exactly what I'm doing. I was also led to believe that the CPU Cooler/Thermal paste together make about 5-10C difference (from a mediocre set to a good set), but it looks like my temps are off by more like 15-20 in some cases, so I'm really thinking I'm just missing a whole aspect of this.

Ideally I'd like to hit 4 GHz, but it just doesn't look like that's happening without me risking frying something.

Ok, so I reseated the heat sink, as well as switched out the thermal paste for the stuff included in the Hyper 212 + packaging. Not really seeing any difference in temps, which is disheartening. Is this just a ****ty CPU cooler? The reviews I read online led me to believe otherwise.

I've been testing different settings - with BLCK = 177, 1.25 Vcore, 1.8 PLL, 1.25 Vqpi, 1.6 Vdimmemps around, I still have max temps up to 75C.

I reread Cecil's guide, but it seemed to be almost exactly what I'm doing. I was also led to believe that the CPU Cooler/Thermal paste together make about 5-10C difference (from a mediocre set to a good set), but it looks like my temps are off by more like 15-20 in some cases, so I'm really thinking I'm just missing a whole aspect of this.

Ideally I'd like to hit 4 GHz, but it just doesn't look like that's happening without me risking frying something.

The H212+ is a mid range cooler. I've seen some reviews where they say it is close or better than a TRUE. At the same time others say it is ~10c hotter. I think the key is if they use i7 / Socket 1366 or something else for their tests. Bottom line is that in your case it looks like it isn't performing well. If you can return it try one of these: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/07/23/intel_core_i7_heatsink_roundup_q309

On the other hand the Cogage TS is $10 more and it is the next cheapest.

I'm starting to think people are reporting their CPU temps, and not CORE temps. I just don't see how people are getting sub 60 degree loads with the same/similar setups I do, unless I measure with the cpu temp. By using that metric, I'd be getting 27c idle, 55c load, which is NOT the same as a core load temp. I find the CORE temps to be more meaningful.

I broke down my temps by core values. I use real temp & hwmonitor. Keep in mind though - temps aren't really a perfect measure - you have to take in account ambient temperature (I'm working at 72C for those temps). Also I've found that the delta (how much your temps rise between and load) to be more a testament of how well your cooling works then the actual temps.

There are a few things that you can probably tweak though to get a few more degrees, depending on what you already have. The watercooling boards discuss that more regularly - but a very high end TIM could drop your temps 2 degrees (indigo extreme or similar). There's a mod to the apogee XT that's commonly done that gets you another degree or two. You might have already done it - if you want more info, PM me.

Well, I did a few things: 1st was to turn off Turboboost, which helped a lot with stability. Also, I added another fan at 2000 rpm to my heatsink (212+), which didn't really affect the max, so much as it seemed to bring down the average temperature. Not sure if that's normal, and I may be seeing things that aren't really there.

Anyway, I got to 4 GHz (3.998 technically) at 1.293 Vcore, 1.8 Vpll, 1.6 Vram and 1.26 Vqpi. I know people have been recommending using LinX, but that almost always seems to crash my computer in the first minute, even if I can run Prime95 for a hour or more (I usually turn it off after that). Also, this is reported using Prime95 for at least 8 tests.

Most people suggested not hitting more than 83 before entering the danger zone - I'm wondering at this point how much lower I need to go for 24/7 use? I thinking of downclocking to 3.8 GHz, just to give myself some wiggle-room. Also, is there any point in going back to find a level to turn Turboboost back on? From what I read in Cecil's guide, there's no real benefit to a lower BLCK and higher multiplier, if you come out the same in the end.

If anyone else has a Coolermaster 212+, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of temps you're seeing.

Thanks for all the replies and help - couldn't have done this otherwise.

Well, I did a few things: 1st was to turn off Turboboost, which helped a lot with stability. Also, I added another fan at 2000 rpm to my heatsink (212+), which didn't really affect the max, so much as it seemed to bring down the average temperature. Not sure if that's normal, and I may be seeing things that aren't really there.

Anyway, I got to 4 GHz (3.998 technically) at 1.293 Vcore, 1.8 Vpll, 1.6 Vram and 1.26 Vqpi. I know people have been recommending using LinX, but that almost always seems to crash my computer in the first minute, even if I can run Prime95 for a hour or more (I usually turn it off after that). Also, this is reported using Prime95 for at least 8 tests.

Most people suggested not hitting more than 83 before entering the danger zone - I'm wondering at this point how much lower I need to go for 24/7 use? I thinking of downclocking to 3.8 GHz, just to give myself some wiggle-room. Also, is there any point in going back to find a level to turn Turboboost back on? From what I read in Cecil's guide, there's no real benefit to a lower BLCK and higher multiplier, if you come out the same in the end.

If anyone else has a Coolermaster 212+, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of temps you're seeing.

Congrats to your oc. When you have a chance can you please post a profile. TY.

I don't know why, but Prime95 have a habit of bring able to bring out the slightest minor instability only after hours of running continuously. I personally have came across errors that only shows itself after more than 5 hours of running. I think I've came across some who claimed that errors only pop up after more than 12 hours of running.

It is debatable on whether one should be concern by an error after long hours like 24 hours or more. But for me, I would look into why LinX crash so quickly. Is it due to instability or just temperature getting out of hands?

You did the right thing by turning off Turbo boost. I rarely come across anyone who manage to use that feature at OC close to 4GHz or higher.

Anyway as for my 930 system, I manage to get it up to 3.8GHz at Vcore 1.216v in CPUZ (Enabled Load Line Calibration Level 2), survived 10 hours of Prime95. But I'm hitting 82c on Corsair H50 without turning on the AC unit in my room :confused:. With AC unit on, can get 75C. I'll look into that over the weekend. I think it is capable of 4GHz easily, but the temps are keeping from pushing further :(

I'll post my full profile soon once I'm satisfied with OCing it:D

Hi all thought id post for my new I7 930. still pushing it little by little but this is what i got so far.

User Name: fearthisneo
FPO/Batch #: 3002A586
Store: Newegg
Purchased In: April 15 2010

OC: 3600 MHz
Stability: WIP
Temp (Idle / Load): 34C / 52C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / No / 21x
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.15625V in bios
Cooling: water
Cooler brand/model: Dtek Fuzion V1

Motherboard: EVGA x58 3x SLI
Operating System: Win7 64

RAM brand & type: G.Skill 6x2GB
RAM Part #: F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI
RAM actual speed: 1380 MHz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-20 2T
RAM Voltage: 1.65V

UPDATE:

OC: 4000 MHz
Temp (Idle / Load): 36C / 61C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: Yes / No / 20x
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.25V in bios

RAM brand & type: G.Skill 3x2GB
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-20 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.60V

Last edited:
OH but i am :D
still playing with voltage im sure i can get it lower

OC: 4200 MHz
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 72C
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.35V in bios

RAM brand & type: G.Skill 3x2GB
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-20 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.60V

i have recently bought a 930 and wish to kick it up a bit, however being a bit overwhelmed with that wide array of bios settings i'm a bit unsure as to how to proceed here. any thoughts?

FPO/Batch #: 3001A733
all on factory settings
MB: asus p6t ws pro
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 65C (the max temperature i got during the linX test)
and here is the link to my fan:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?mID=69&cPath=1_42

cpustats.jpg

i have recently bought a 930 and wish to kick it up a bit, however being a bit overwhelmed with that wide array of bios settings i'm a bit unsure as to how to proceed here. any thoughts?

FPO/Batch #: 3001A733
all on factory settings
MB: asus p6t ws pro
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 65C (the max temperature i got during the linX test)
and here is the link to my fan:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?mID=69&cPath=1_42]

Your heatsink looks pretty beefy, you should be able to get a good OC unless your chip is a dud. Check out the links in thread #2, I recommend following trying Cecil's guide.

User Name: woody75
FPO/Batch #: 3001A125
Store: Microcenter, Cincinatti, Ohio
Purchased In: March 2010

OC: 4.011
Stability: LinX 20 runs
Temp (Idle / Load): 43C / 82C
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.325V
Cooler brand/model: Cooler Master 212+

Motherboard: GigaByte X58A-UD3R
Bios Version: F5

RAM brand & type: OCZ 2x2GB DDR3
RAM Part #: OCZ3G1600LV6GK
RAM actual speed: 1520 MHz
RAM Latency: 8-8-8-24 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.66V

This is my first REAL attempt so going to let it burn in with some more testing then tweak memory timings tomorrow. It was running at 22x with turbo on but got an error in LinX in 1 min 18 sec. I am fine with this one for tonight. :)

Also, I'm going to see if I can get it stable with a little less voltage to get temps down.

Edit: 4-26-10 Got my memory timings down a bit and upped the BCLK to get over 4GHz.

Last edited:
User Name: (Example: sfsilicon) AMDGAMER
FPO/Batch #: (Example: 3952A521) UNKNOWN
Store: (Example: Frys - Sunnyvale, CA) MICRO CENTER - SHARONVILLE, OH
Purchased In: (Example: March 2010) APRIL 2010

OC: (Example: 3313.6 MHz) 3.46GHZ
Stability: (Example: WIP = Work In Progress, 20 runs LinX plus 24h Prime95/Orthos/OCCT ) STABLE, FOLDING 24/7 since purchase FOR HardOCP
Temp (Idle / Load): (Example: 54c / 90c) 35C/68C
Hyper Threading / Turbo Boost / Multiplier: (Example: Yes / Yes / 21x) YES/NO/21X
Stepping: (Example: 5) UNKNOWN
Revision: (Example: D0) UNKNOWN
Vcore/Core Voltage: (Example: 1.376V) Stock voltage varies by motherboard so please provide a number. 1.2685
Cooling: (Example: Air, Water, Phase) AIR
Cooler brand/model: (Example: Intel Stock Cooler, Cogage True Spirit 1366) COGAGE TRUE

Motherboard: (Example: MSI X58 PRO-E) GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R
Bios Version: (Example: V8.6)
Operating System: (Examples: Vista 32, Win7 64) WIN7 X64

RAM brand & type: (Example: OCZ 2x2GB DDR3) CORSAIR 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8
RAM Part #: (Example: OCZP1333LV2G)
RAM rated speed: (Example: 1333 MHz) 1600
RAM actual speed: (Example: 1205 MHz - 2x CPU-Z DRAM Frequency) 1280
RAM Latency: (Example: 7-7-7-20 1T) 8-8-8-24-2T
RAM Voltage: (Example: 1.6V) 1.58

System is downclocked to 3.46.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Let me know if these numbers look ok. I took these screens while running another LinX test. Right now my room tempurature is 72*F.
I'm not sure if my VTT, QPI PLL are set correctly as this is a work in progress. Also are the GFlop nubmers about right?
I've dabbled with some 4ghz, but my I don't feel comfortable getting close to 85C. I currently run 1 fan on my TRUE, will upgrading to a push/pull help much?

User Name: Boss
FPO/Batch #: 3001A125
Store: Microcenter, Tustin, CA

OC: 3.792
Stability: LinX 30 runs
Temp (Idle / Load): 40C / 74C
Vcore/Core Voltage: 1.25V in bios w/out VDroop
Cooler brand/model: Thermalright TRUE Black

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE

RAM brand & type: Mushkin Ridgeback (3x2GB) PC3-12800
RAM Part #: 998826
RAM actual speed: 1445 MHz
RAM Latency: 6-8-6-24 1T
RAM Voltage: 1.63V

26846673.jpg
oc1t.jpg

Hey guys, Let me know if these numbers look ok. I took these screens while running another LinX test. Right now my room tempurature is 72*F.
I'm not sure if my VTT, QPI PLL are set correctly as this is a work in progress. Also are the GFlop nubmers about right?
I've dabbled with some 4ghz, but my I don't feel comfortable getting close to 85C. I currently run 1 fan on my TRUE, will upgrading to a push/pull help much?

Your voltages look fine. Stock except for Vcore and Vdimm. You can push Qpi and Pll a bit more, if you run into stability issues. The key is to not use auto settings. Check out post #2 for Cecil's guide when you need to increase your voltages.

Also read what I wrote on temps in post #2. For short tests (e.g. Linx 20 runs) you will be fine with touching 85c. For long term stability I'd try to get temps <83c peak. You'll most likely crash or cpu throttling will turn on. Just reset and you'll be fine.

I'm not too familiar with the TRUE, I have a COGAGE TS. The TRUE has more heatpipes so if your not limited by the heat transfer from the cpu surface to the fins a push pull will help.

Thanks for the profile.

Back