• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 upgrade?

dutnguye

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
3,402
thinking about upgrading from a q6600 to an i7 920.
I wonder how much difference would i gain,
currently run the q6600 at stock and at times it seems laggy to me
 
Depends on what you do. For gaming, I think most people recommend just keeping a Core 2 Quad. And overclock :)
 
Try overclocking your Q6600 first and see if you notice an improvement. It should technically be sufficient for most people, but that can subjectively vary depending on your uses and needs. What exactly do you use the computer for?
 
i game a little bit, do somewhat photoshop, but pretty much casual use. i might just oc the q6600 now winter time has come
 
I'm in the same boat as you. Currently have a q6600 with a 8800gt and thinking about upgrading. I only have a 22" monitor though, what resolution do you game at with a hanns g 28"?
 
I'm in the same boat as you. Currently have a q6600 with a 8800gt and thinking about upgrading. I only have a 22" monitor though, what resolution do you game at with a hanns g 28"?

The Hanns-G is most likely 1920x1200. For a 22" at 1680x1050, you would notice a significant increase by going with a GTX 275 or a Radeon 4890.
 
thinking about upgrading from a q6600 to an i7 920.
I wonder how much difference would i gain,
currently run the q6600 at stock and at times it seems laggy to me
Laggy doing what? I think "lagginess" could be attributed to anything from RAM, to the hard drive, to the video card.
 
For casual use you won't notice a difference. You'd be better off picking up a faster OS drive, making sure the RAM is running in dual-channel mode, pick up a big air-cooler to support that OC you're planning and just making sure everything is running right. Maybe upgrade the GPU to a GTX 260/275 if your gaming needs some help past the CPU OC.
 
i was in the same boat 2 months ago or so.. what i did was upgraded my 8800GT G92 to 295GTX Co-op and i'm set for along time..... i can run any games on high settings with 2560x1600 res while my Q6600 @ 3.4 is sufficient on everything i do.. so if i were you, id just oclock that cpu to 3.2 at least... now, i just want a SSD HD and i'm set for another 2-3years :D
 
The Hanns-G is most likely 1920x1200. For a 22" at 1680x1050, you would notice a significant increase by going with a GTX 275 or a Radeon 4890.

Yeah, I was thinking of buying a Radeon 5850 actually. Might as well spend 100$ more than the price of a 4890 and have a card which would last longer.

But then, a 5850 might be overkill for a 1680x1050 monitor, and my q6600 @ 3.0ghz would prolly bottleneck the card's performances.

I then thought about buying an i5 750, but I would have to buy a new MB and RAM.
If I did this, I'd be better off selling my old q6600 and buy all new parts (new case, psu, hdd, cpu heatsink) and why not, a new 1920x1200 monitor ?

That would definitely be great, but then again that would cost me about 1600-1700$ (new monitor included).

Then again, I've never looked at a 1920x1200 monitor, is there really a huge difference in games ? (between 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 ?)

Ohh well, let's just say I'm debating with myself if I really need all that stuff lol

I use my PC primarily for gaming (currently playing Aion and waiting for MW2)

Thanks
 
I agree, get a nice SSD with an Indilinx controller (garbage collection) and you will notice a much snappier system (I can't wait to get a nice one for OS/gaming). And +1 to overclocking your Q6600, will breathe some new life into your system.
 
The Hanns-G is most likely 1920x1200. For a 22" at 1680x1050, you would notice a significant increase by going with a GTX 275 or a Radeon 4890.

Agreed. I went from 8800 GT to 4890 at 1680x1050. Noticable difference. Also noticable difference from E6750 to i7 860, poor slow E6750.

SSD startup drive is my next purchase.
 
Back
Top