i7 920 to: i5 6600k or i7 4790k?

ZeqOBpf6

Gawd
Do you guys think a 6600k will be faster than a 920 in applications that can utilize virtual cores? My 920 can only do 3.4, and the IPC is obviously a lot better on the 6600k, but 4 threads is no joke. I'd be pretty disappointed to spend $500 to find out that in the most time-consuming tasks my new hardware is "about the same."

The other option is the 4790k, which is about $90 more, but I'd be able to use my DDR3 so the price difference ends up being a wash. This is, without question a clear upgrade as it's the true successor to my i7

I tried looking up benchmarks, can you believe there's not a lot comparing a 7 year old CPU to one that's been out for a few days? :p

Sounds like Intel Core i7-5820K and x99 board would be perfect for you. For the time being its the only hardware that even peaks my interest. Im curious as to why this is not an option for you? The i7-5820K would be a huge upgrade for even myself:)

I don't have a MicroCenter near me so these fabled $300 5820k's are not really an option and I'm not spending $390 + DDR4.

What motherboard are you currently using for you 920? Have you look into just trying a cheap Xeon?

Well, HT only comes into play when the app is well threaded but each individual thread doesn't demand 100% utilization from the core no? So what's your usage case? Under what app are you hoping to see a performance boost?

Games won't see much of a benefit but I imagine more CPU tasks will and either part would be a healthy upgrade, the IPC jump alone can be 20% (or more? or less) and the clock speed bump from a good OC will net another 20-25% no?

go 6600K betwen that and the 4790K

The 6600K is likely to do 200-300mhz more on an overclock. It has higher IPC. Hyperthreading is nice, but it's spotty as to when it acutally improves perfomance. On many tasks the perf increase is flat. Ocasionally it is even slower. Max improvement from hyper threading is 20% and your 6600K will be at least that much faster between IPC and clock speed.

best case 6600K == 4790K
worst caset 6600K > 4790K * 120%

Basically the 6600K will never be worse than picking the 4790K, but will often be better.

If you are happy with the x58 platform, you might consider purchasing a cheap i7 4 or 6 core off ebay. When I sold my x58 mobo, cpu, ram a while back, the cpu was only worth about 40usd on ebay and it was a beast (even compared to modern cpus) and ran at 4-4.2ghz all day long on air with the tiniest of voltage increases. I'm happy to have a new z97 system, but had I not been able to upgrade to the 4790k z97 very cheaply, I would have been sorely disappointed in the performance increase. It was a big upgrade in terms of features, but performance gain was minimal if at all in gaming.

Between the two CPU's I'd go for the 4790k

But that's not considering the benefits of the platform between a Z97 and Z170 first. If you need the I/O options and additions of the Alpine chipset or PLX chip I'd go for the 6600k then, if not then for sure go 4790k.

Between the two CPU's I'd go for the 4790k

But that's not considering the benefits of the platform between a Z97 and Z170 first. If you need the I/O options and additions of the Alpine chipset or PLX chip I'd go for the 6600k then, if not then for sure go 4790k.

@ stock speed or overclocked?

For stock I'd agree.

But if you're overclocking the 6600K is going to have better IPC and likely have more headroom.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

My motherboard is dying so a better chip... Or saving hundreds of dollars, are not options.

I didn't realize ht was a 20% gain at best. Even when Windows shows all 8 cores being used 100%? Seems like a no brainer then.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

My motherboard is dying so a better chip... Or saving hundreds of dollars, are not options.

I didn't realize ht was a 20% gain at best. Even when Windows shows all 8 cores being used 100%? Seems like a no brainer then.

I'd agree.

You look at something like cinebench and you get something like 4.8x single thread performance for HT quad core. That benchmark also seems to be a best case scenario.

you didnt specifically say what your doing with the PC but when you use the term virualize I would think the I7 would benefit. for most applications / gaming i5 matches the I7. Movie encoding gets a good increase with an I7

After more deliberation I pulled the trigger on a 6600k.
ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
Ripjaws 2800, 2x8GB

Not gonna lie, pretty excited.

Back