• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 or i7 975

ARNY 84

n00b
Joined
May 18, 2008
Messages
7
Ok i have a i7 920 (C0) which has been a stable OCing chip. The best clock i have to date is 4.2ghz @3.5 vcore 80deg while priming. My goal is 4.5 which this chip falls short of. So im looking at a 920 (D0) or maybe go hard and get the 975. The unlocked multi being the thing with the 975 im looking at.
Any thoughts!
Rig is on H2O with mother of a rad.
Rampage II extreme MoBo
6g 1866 corsair ram
1200w psu
3x GTX 280's (tri sli)
etc etc blah blah blah.
 
Last edited:
I think it's a very expensive gamble for already very diminishing returns.
 
You can sell me that 920 and buy your 975 = profit?
 
If you're looking for drop that much cash on a proc i suggest waiting for the i9.
 
well i have my D0 at 4.4 24/7 at 1.32 v i think i could push more but i done oc rigth now, i think with a D0 you can get great results without pay excessive money.
 
If i was confident that i could get an D0 920 to 4.5g i would go that way for sure. Would love to here from any 975 owners though on the overclocks there getting??
 
Last edited:
IMO, I would just get a D0. Can't guarantee 4.5, but I'll bet it'll get pretty close. There's no way I would pay $700+ more just for an extra 300 MHz, esp, when you're not even going to see any significant returns in any real world applications from coming from 4.2 GHz. Hell, I'm happy with my 920 C0 @ 3.8 GHz which is prolly a waste for the most part too. The only reason I OC'd it to 3.8 was for more performance in folding.
 
I personally get squeamish when thrashing an expensive chip like a 975 ... if you make a mistake (overvolt) with a 920, you can chalk the $200 to experience. The 975 is more experience than I can afford.
 
I personally get squeamish when thrashing an expensive chip like a 975 ...
So very true mate.
My main go is benching with apps like 3D vantage & Crysis so you do see the added speed on the cpu. I will have a look for a cheap D0 920, that unlocked multi sure is inviting though lol. As for waiting for the i9, well thats just to far off.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top