• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-860 vs i7-930

eagleknight

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
169
I am putting together a new PC now finally after my 8 year old PC won't cut it any longer. :p Mainly used for daily computing and I will also be doing a lot of video editing. Not a heavy gamer any more.

Microcenter has the 860 and 930 both at $199 now. I have read a lot of the 860 vs 920 threads and they seem to lean towards the 920. I plan to overclock some, but nothing hardcore. Would it be worth the extra money that I would be paying in the mobo for my application. Would the power saving with the 860 be worth it? :confused:
 
I am putting together a new PC now finally after my 8 year old PC won't cut it any longer. :p Mainly used for daily computing and I will also be doing a lot of video editing. Not a heavy gamer any more.

Microcenter has the 860 and 930 both at $199 now. I have read a lot of the 860 vs 920 threads and they seem to lean towards the 920. I plan to overclock some, but nothing hardcore. Would it be worth the extra money that I would be paying in the mobo for my application. Would the power saving with the 860 be worth it? :confused:

Unless your on a tight budget go i7 920 and X58 motherboard. Your looking at a $100 difference for the motherboard, but you get up to 12GB (2GB DIMMs) memory (premier 4 can use it) with the option to upgrade to hexacore in the future. Programs like Premiere and Photoshop are starting to support GPU accelerated processing and having SLI/Xfire support give you more cheap upgrade options by going dual GPU. If you live near a MC or Fry's your looking at a $150 difference for CPU + MB when on sale. Frys had a i7 930 + X58 combo for $350 and just recently had a i5-750 + P55 combo for $200.
 
For most video editing software, the 920 is definitely the way to go. And, like the poster above me said, the X58 architecture is going to be a lot more flexible with future upgrades. Heck, if you invest in a USB3.0/SATA 6g/s mobo, you might be able to squeeze 8 years out of your new machine, too.
 
Both replies have said 920, when my title says 930... Should I not get the 930??? Microcenter has the 920 for $179 and the 930 for $199.
 
This really isn't an i7-8xx friendly neighborhood is it (the Intel forum in general, not just this thread)? It's either i7-9xx or i5-xxx. I guess it's either max performance (money being no object) or max money-saving (performance being no object). Nothing wrong with any of that, but we middle-of-the-roader's seem to be kind of out of our element around here (nothing wrong with that either).
 
Frankly, I can't see 860 as middle of the road. Costs the same as 930, which makes it a high-end part and yet doesn't offer any of the 1366 advantages. i5 750 is middle-of-the-road, and i3 would be the low end, low cost part.
 
So, it would appear that the i7-8xx cpu's are an Intel marketing screw-up. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
 
Frankly, I can't see 860 as middle of the road. Costs the same as 930, which makes it a high-end part and yet doesn't offer any of the 1366 advantages. i5 750 is middle-of-the-road, and i3 would be the low end, low cost part.

But it doesnt cost the same unless you already have a mobo and ram. Same "quality" mobo is gonna be ~100$ more expensive, and our looking at another 100 or so in ram if you were going to get 8/12GB.

That being said the x58 setup is probably a worthy choice for op if hes heavy into video editing, someplace that extra ram, and triple channel would com in handy.
 
Back
Top