i7-8086k $800?

Evil Scooter

Supreme [H]ardness
OK.. PC wise I've been living under a rock for the last 2 years after I assembled this rig. Up until a week ago I had not PC gamed in nearly a year.. life.. you know. Anyway I was reading about and noted on a site that the price of the i7-8086k is now nearly $800 on Amazon. What gives?

1591920552777.png

theres shortages of everything because "shits fucked yo!"(covid) so people are gouging.

Out of production, rarer, covid shortages and people looking for things to do...

I was looking for a used one just to play around with and ironically, I found a used 9900kf for $30 cheaper than a used 8086k.

In addition to what the other guys have said it was just a pre-overclocked 8700k which you can still buy right now so I'd just get one of those instead.

In addition to what the other guys have said it was just a pre-overclocked 8700k which you can still buy right now so I'd just get one of those instead.

Yes or no. They are already prebinned and are pretty much guaranteed to hit 5 gigahertz all core. Yes they are 8700k's but you are definitely getting better silicon.

The problem is the 10600k is probably slightly faster and definitely cheaper. The only real value to this is the "limited edition." And it certainly isn't worth $800 as a collector's piece.

Yeah it's absurd anyone would even consider listing this for $800.
It costs *less* to buy a whole 10th gen motherboard and a 10600k *AND* a nice clocking set of RAM, than the inflated cost of this processor.

Yeah it's absurd anyone would even consider listing this for $800.
It costs *less* to buy a whole 10th gen motherboard and a 10600k *AND* a nice clocking set of RAM, than the inflated cost of this processor.

The only advantage is if you think it is worth something as a collector item. But as soon as you open the box, it is a binned 8700k. At this point, I would say a used one is worth maybe $300 tops.

Covid lol... wait till covid 2.0 ... you will be lucky to have electricity when the mass panic destroys all hope. Scamdemic price gouging galore.

You probably wont even be able to buy CPUs during 2.0 so get em now boys

Sucker born every minute, seller not understanding depreciation, think new car sitting on lot in December heavily discounted, PC components no different.

its the typical bullshit 3rd party seller scam for old EOL products... you can find sealed 8086Ks for 400 USD or lower on ebay. just look every few days. and even that price is over valued.

but 800$? thats not even worth talking about.

The bigger question is, if you're looking to build a new PC, why look at a special edition of a two year old processor? Maybe just not familiar with what the current generation is?

The bigger question is, if you're looking to build a new PC, why look at a special edition of a two year old processor? Maybe just not familiar with what the current generation is?

Normally I would agree with you but the current generation is just rehashed from that generation, so it wouldn't make much difference.

Normally I would agree with you but the current generation is just rehashed from that generation, so it wouldn't make much difference.

I'm half debating picking up a 9900k for that reason - can find boards and parts, it's about the same as a 10900k for gaming, and it's cheaper too. Won't make a difference for a long time, and that would let me pass the 6700 on to the wife.

This thing will do all cores at 5ghz and it's not feeling "slow" so not looking to upgrade yet. Thanks for the 411 all.

I'm half debating picking up a 9900k for that reason - can find boards and parts, it's about the same as a 10900k for gaming, and it's cheaper too. Won't make a difference for a long time, and that would let me pass the 6700 on to the wife.

The 10900k is it's own animal. Obviously the direct competition is to the 10700k. Pricewise, the 10700k is cheaper when you can find one (new). Used is always a tossup depending on availability, etc.

I got a 9900ks for $350, but I already had a compatible motherboard, and it's just a matter of swapping out the CPU. If I had to buy both CPU/MB new anyway, I'd probably just get the 10700k instead (or maybe even a 10700 for $60 cheaper and override the turbo with a Z490 board. Not sure I'd ever really notice it being $60 slower). At least then there would be an upgrade path to Rocket Lake if it ends up being worthwhile.

Back