• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 4790k overclock 5ghz

Safe is a pretty relative term. Your parts are fine. What it comes down to is the CPU and it's abilities. You likely won't get too close to 5.0 either so don't get your hopes too high.
Your goal should be to keep the voltage below 1.25-1.3v and the temps below 85c while stress testing and see what clock you might get out of it. This will also depend on what test you use for stability. Aida64, IBT and then there's P95 which is very hot compared to the other two.
 
No, if you're looking for "safe" then don't overclock.

Overclocking is not a set and forget operation, you need to start low and work up. If you're careful you can limit the risk. Johan45's advice (above) is pretty good so I won't repeat it.
 
You might get a few hundred MHz more by removing the IHS if your cooler can be rigged for direct-contact operation without an IHS, but it is definitely not a "safe" procedure. 4.6GHz seems to be a common achievement with a 4790K and good cooling solution, without removing the IHS.
 
I've run mine at 5.0 before, using a Swiftech H240x. No issues or heat problems.
 
I've got my 4690k up to 5ghz on a noctua d14, needed 1.385v, so I keep it at 4.8ghz @ 1.250v. Temps were ok using adia64, instant throttling using prime95.
 
I got 4.7 GHz easily out of my 4790K with an H100i. No voltage modifications / removing IHS / etc.
 
I just installed a new 240mm Rad with 4 fans and two water blocks for my gpu's.

I changed my hoses around and now my CPU (4790k ) is running hotter then
before.

I have three rads, all with push pull fans. I may have some spots in some
rads where there is no water, so I need to look into it.

Using Aida64 stability testing, now my GPU's are great, but I did not
like seeing the spike in the cpu temps. Im hitting 85-87 now, where
I was always in the low 70's before.

cpu%20running%20hotter%20now_zpsyrw9ktfb.jpg
 
Back
Top