i7-4770S vs i7-4770K

isai95

Limp Gawd
If not ocing, don't you guys like the i7-4770S better than the i7-4770K? 65w TDP vs 84w TDP is a lot! Same price at MC.

5% better performance over the S
23% lower power consumption on the S

All depends on whether or not you NEED the lower power consumption. You can probably underclock the 4770k to lower the power consumption. The K is just a more versatile chip because of the unlocked multi.

Why not a regular 4770? They tend to be a little cheaper than the K parts.

If you expect the CPUs to be idle most of the time you'll see no difference.

If you expect to fully-load the processor (e.g. FAH), you would get better performance/watt with the S. But unless you plan on building into a very small and constrained case, I doubt you'd notice the power difference.

All depends on whether or not you NEED the lower power consumption. You can probably underclock the 4770k to lower the power consumption. The K is just a more versatile chip because of the unlocked multi.

I was planning to build a HTPC and another one for a server. They will be idling most of the time.

Wow! the i7-4765T is 35w TDP only. 58% less TDP than the i7-4770K.

Don't think that 58% less TDP means that it will use 58% less power for the same workload. A faster chip will go to idle quicker than a slower one so the savings of the slower processor will not be as much as it looks.

I was planning to build a HTPC and another one for a server. They will be idling most of the time.

If it's idling most of the time, it won't make a difference. They will all run 800mhz and .8V or something like that without a load using Speedstep.

If it's idling most of the time, it won't make a difference. They will all run 800mhz and .8V or something like that without a load using Speedstep.

Oh yes? OK. Good to know that, thanks though.

Wow! the i7-4765T is 35w TDP only. 58% less TDP than the i7-4770K.

becuase the 4765t only runs at 2ghz, turboing to 3. so of course the tdp is lower, its nominal as well as maximum frequency is lower than the other i7's. but for the same load and clock speed, there probably won't be much if any difference in power consumption between the 4765 and 4770k.

becuase the 4765t only runs at 2ghz, turboing to 3. so of course the tdp is lower, its nominal as well as maximum frequency is lower than the other i7's. but for the same load and clock speed, there probably won't be much if any difference in power consumption between the 4765 and 4770k.

That is because there is no difference in the silicon between the two chips. The main differences between the 2 is that the S chip has been factory set with a lower frequency, turbo and voltage.

Can you confirm for a fact that the S and maybe the T versions actually use a lower voltage?
I can't seem to find information about this anywhere. I really want to know if I can underclock a 4770K to 4770S levels and have the exact same chip or not. Obviously a 4770K would be a better chip to get if that's the case, as it would be valued more for it's performance.

In my experience with Haswell, though obviously the S and K are the same silicone, the K is binned higher and will generally perform much cooler undervolted and underclocked than an S will stock. My first Haswell was a 4770S and it would throttle itself with turbo OFF on AIDA64. I RMAd it through Intel and they sent me another one which I sold off at a loss. Replaced the chip with a K that ran a lot cooler.

If not ocing, don't you guys like the i7-4770S better than the i7-4770K? 65w TDP vs 84w TDP is a lot! Same price at MC.

I went for the 3770S over the 3770K because I was not overclocking and I was using a fanless CPU cooler. See sig!

the OP has probably already made his mind up on the processor he wanted. i was surprised no one mentioned the other small but key differences between the 4770S & 4770K. those being the virtualisation and various protection instructions missing from all 'K' chips.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75123,75124

probably not a big deal but worth noting none the less.

4770k is less versatile as it's missing features.

4770K all day. U can underpower the K to perform like an S and still overclock it when you want.

Last edited:
Back