I7 3960X - temps too hot?

Kainzo

Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
972
I just installed my i7 3960X into a new motherboard. I'm using a low-profile cooler (Noctua NH-L12) because this is going to a rack mount chassis (4U).

I'm seeing the heat constantly sitting at 48-50C while in the BIOS. I have ensured that the paste is applied correctly and there are no bent pins on the motherboard.

To me it just feels like the heat is too high, I haven't even overclocked it. The ambient temp in the room is around 70F
 
BIOS temp is not idle or load temp. What are your idle and load temps?

EDIT: typo
 
Last edited:
BIOS temp is not idle or load temp. What are you idle and load temps?

It'll be a bit harder to measure - I'm installing Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) on this box for some dedicated server stuff. It's comforting to know that the bios temp being at 50C isnt abnormal at least.
 
Doesn't that have lm_sensors and the coretemp driver? Although I am not using debian that is what I use to measure temperature on my intel based linux servers.

Code:
fileserver1 ~ # uname -a
Linux fileserver1 3.3.1-gentoo-btrfs-1 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 15:56:05 EDT 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

fileserver1 ~ # sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 0:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 1:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 2:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 3:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
 
Doesn't that have lm_sensors and the coretemp driver? Although I am not using debian that is what I use to measure temperature on my intel based linux servers.

Code:
fileserver1 ~ # uname -a
Linux fileserver1 3.3.1-gentoo-btrfs-1 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 15:56:05 EDT 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

fileserver1 ~ # sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 0:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 1:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 2:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 3:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)

I'll check that and post back when I have the results :)
 
Doesn't that have lm_sensors and the coretemp driver? Although I am not using debian that is what I use to measure temperature on my intel based linux servers.

Code:
fileserver1 ~ # uname -a
Linux fileserver1 3.3.1-gentoo-btrfs-1 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 15:56:05 EDT 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

fileserver1 ~ # sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 0:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 1:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 2:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)
Core 3:         +28.0 C  (high = +74.0 C, crit = +94.0 C)


I use this on Ubuntu server boxes, and that is based on debian, you should have no problems with this.
 
I'll check that and post back when I have the results :)

BTW, that temp was taken at pretty much idle with a 65F to 70F server room.

Also for me the coretemp driver was not loaded so I had to modprobe coretemp before running sensors.
 
BTW, that temp was taken at pretty much idle with a 65F to 70F server room.

Also for me the coretemp driver was not loaded so I had to modprobe coretemp before running sensors.

Anyone happen to know the apt-get install for that or the distro that may have the coretemp stuff?
 
Anyone happen to know the apt-get install for that or the distro that may have the coretemp stuff?

coretemp is part of the mainline kernel. I have no idea if this is compiled in by default on debian or a module or otherwise. lm_sensors (userspace part) should be a package.
 
Just to give you a heads up, I have the 3930k (the little brother) and it's a heater as well. Currently using the Phantek PH-TC14PE, Idle temps i'm getting 49-53c. Full load 73-76c. No matter how many times I reapplied thermal paste, re-seat the heat sink, it doesn't improve anything.

I use coretemp and CPUID HWMonitor.

I gave up on it for now, i'll go back in and tighten it down more to see if anything happens to the temps. So as for right now idle while typing this message it's at 51c.
 
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +42.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 0: +38.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 2: +42.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 3: +38.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 4: +36.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 5: +34.0°C (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)

There's my temps sitting in the OS (no usage)
 
Hi

I'm running a 3960X on Linux with the big brother of the NH-L12, the NH-D14. I run my chip @ 4.2GHz and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has one core well hotter then the rest!

Code:
$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +38.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 0:         +28.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 1:         +34.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 2:         +32.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 3:         +38.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 4:         +31.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)
Core 5:         +31.0°C  (high = +81.0°C, crit = +91.0°C)

This is at idle with my fans spinning @ 70% - I gave up trying to run a quiet box with this chip.
 
I'm a processor below you. I have the 3930k I picked up at MC for $399 a few weeks ago. Paired it with an H100 Corsair Water Cool with a push 2 x 140mm / pull 2 x 120mm config and I have 28c average idle temps at 4.8Ghz.

Under load it tops out at 70c average on all 6 cores/ 12 threads. That's full load under Prime95.

Might want to look at another cooler.
 
Unfortunately, for a 4U rackmount case - I do not have the leisure of getting a better cooler.

The only designs I can really get our low-profile. I did try a larger cooler and the temps were about the same. I am now using the larger cooler on my personal PC and its keeping my AMD 1090T at a cool 21C oc'd at 3.8ghz (nonturbo)

If this isnt the cooler for me, what is? I'm in a tight area.
 
Unfortunately, for a 4U rackmount case - I do not have the leisure of getting a better cooler.

The only designs I can really get our low-profile. I did try a larger cooler and the temps were about the same. I am now using the larger cooler on my personal PC and its keeping my AMD 1090T at a cool 21C oc'd at 3.8ghz (nonturbo)

If this isnt the cooler for me, what is? I'm in a tight area.

Do you have both fans installed?
 
yeah... that's the same exact one I had in there.. it's too large I think.

The space between the top fan and the case close is half an inch. Not to mention the bracket that goes across the rackmount wont be able to fit if I have that CPU fan on.
 
A Gulftown 6 core which is 130 watts same as the chip you have idles at 24c to 34c on a H100 water cooler over clocked to 4ghz. If your not overclocked and on air your temps should never be in the 50s on idle.

Something is wrong
 
After repasting and reseating the CPU, it is now around 38-48c in use. So it's not unbearable overheating.

I'm monitoring with LM-sensors in Debian 7.0
 
A Gulftown 6 core which is 130 watts same as the chip you have idles at 24c to 34c on a H100 water cooler over clocked to 4ghz. If your not overclocked and on air your temps should never be in the 50s on idle.

Something is wrong

You have no idea what you are talking about. Gulftown may have a similar TDP, but it's behavior with regard to cooling isn't remotely the same. I've worked with plenty of these CPUs. Sandy Bridge-E runs hot. Simple as that. For air cooling the temps the OP is reporting aren't out of line. Not for the cooling he's using.
 
Back
Top