i7-3720QM, will it work on VAIO 13.3" S Series?

The dual core chips they offer are 35W but the chip 3720QM is 45W. That might not seem like a big difference, but keep in mind that's in a tiny notebook chassis with cooling rated only for 35W.

You'll almost certainly bump into throttling and heat issues if you decide to add the quad core chip. On top of that you might have issues with the BIOS accepting the CPU at all.

I wouldn't bother. Save your money for an upgrade

I think all of the i-5Ms and i-7Ms are Dual Core chips now, the only difference is the i-7 gets hyper-threading.

I think all of the i-5Ms and i-7Ms are Dual Core chips now, the only difference is the i-7 gets hyper-threading.

No, the QM models are quads. And the dual core i5's and i7's aren't the same either. The i7 dual core chips have more L3. Also the i3's i5's and i7's have HT but the Pentiums/celerons don't

No, the QM models are quads. And the dual core i5's and i7's aren't the same either. The i7 dual core chips have more L3. Also the i3's i5's and i7's have HT but the Pentiums/celerons don't

ahh, ty.

you will never reach the full potential of that CPU in the system. Even if you do get it in there, the thermal protection on the chip will limit you severely.

The i7-3612QM is the only quad core rated for 35W. I don't see any reason why one of those wouldn't work unless it isn't supported by the BIOS.

I would find out if the CPU is socketed before you do anything. Most laptops have the chip soldered right to the motherboard.

This means you would have to replace the entire motherboard. Good news is if they make it then it will come with the correct bios. Bad news is the price might be 70% the cost of a new laptop.

As the others said you will bump into heat/battery issues.

UPDATE- It is a socketed CPU. You might want to contact the people on this forum. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2501

I would find out if the CPU is socketed before you do anything. Most laptops have the chip soldered right to the motherboard.

This means you would have to replace the entire motherboard. Good news is if they make it then it will come with the correct bios. Bad news is the price might be 70% the cost of a new laptop.

As the others said you will bump into heat/battery issues.

UPDATE- It is a socketed CPU. You might want to contact the people on this forum. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2501

I'd double check that before going ahead with anything - the Vaio S in the OP is the refresh of the SA, whereas the one you linked to is the older S series. To be honest I'd be surprised if it's socketed as it's quite a thin 13" laptop.

To the OP - even if it's a socketed CPU, I'd be very wary of putting in an aftermarket CPU. The base model only has integrated graphics, and it's very possible that the nVidia GPU upgrade includes a combined CPU/GPU heatsink that you will need to avoid throttling a quad core CPU.

Back