i5 Build for new gaming PC

JookyOne

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
- Predominant usage will be web browsing, music (listening), and gaming (BBC2, Crysis, Diablo III when it comes out).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
- $1,000 all inclusive

3) Where do you live?
- Richmond, VA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
- CPU, MOBO, RAM, GPU, SSD

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
- PSU Corsair 750TX
- Samsung DVD/RW
- Coolermaster CM690
- WD Raptor X 150GB

6) Will you be overclocking?
- Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
- Currently have a 22" Samsung. Will most likely purchase a larger monitor after this build for the increased resolution. 27" perhaps?

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- Within a month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
- I'm looking for a solid performer (read, good components). CF/SLI support isn't all that necessary as for this build I'm looking at a single card solution. I'd also like to maximize the potential of the SSD, but don't require Firewire or other peripheral support.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
- Currently have Windows 7 Home Professional in 32-bit, so will be interested in upgrading that to 64-bit.

Current Build List
$184.99 - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
$149.99 - ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
$74.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
134.99 - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SSD
$239.99 - ASUS EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
$99.99 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

TOTAL = $884.94

I definitely appreciate any input on my selections and am especially curious about the motherboard and SSD selection. Seems that the Sabertooth has the build quality I'm looking for and is currently on sale. The Vertex drive is faster than the X-25, but I'm wondering if it might be a safer bet to go Intel. Also, with this build I'm left with a little bit of a budget surplus so that being said, where should I splurge? I was contemplating a jump in video card but bridging the gap will probably be more than the $125 I have left over. My Raptor X is getting up there in age, so perhaps I should contemplate replacing it as well. The SSD will house the OS and my core games and I'll use the other HD for what little files I have.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
Ditch that SSD: The faster and newer version of that SSD is only $10 more:
$135 - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SSD

Definitely pick up a new hard drive: many consumer grade 7200RPM drives will outperform that Raptor drive. I recommend this drive:
$75 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

If you don't have a compatible 3rd party HSF already, I recommend getting a 3rd party HSF for overclocking:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

You should look at some mobos with USB3 support, such as this ASUS for 150.

And +1 for getting a 3rd party HSF for overclocking.

I have said this in a lot of posts to wait for Sandy bridge if you can. It will be released on the week of January 10. So just 2 more months of waiting. You should be able to get the new mobos and cpus at that same price you intend to spend. The i5 750/760 (2.8 GHz) will be replaced by the i5 2500 (3.3 GHz). Even if let's say it will cost an extra $100, but then you have 2 months to save for that extra cost.

I have said this in a lot of posts to wait for Sandy bridge if you can. It will be released on the week of January 10. So just 2 more months of waiting. You should be able to get the new mobos and cpus at that same price you intend to spend. The i5 750/760 (2.8 GHz) will be replaced by the i5 2500 (3.3 GHz). Even if let's say it will cost an extra $100, but then you have 2 months to save for that extra cost.

I think the major benefit will be more frequent sales and deals on the old 1156 and 1366 socket stuff. But if the OP is willing to bump up to SB the mo powa to him.

Updated list with Danny's SSD suggestion. Thanks for pointing that out D, I totally overlooked that. I'm going to hold off on the HSF and HD for the time being as I will probably overclock at a later date and predominantly use the SSD for performance increase over the Raptor.

Any other feedback and/or suggestions on the motherboard? The Sabertooth doesn't have SATA 6GB/S so I suppose this would be a roadblock on achieving the true potential of the SSD. The ASUS recommendation looks promising as well.

Thanks again

Back