I5-750 to I5-4690k worth it?

99vw

Limp Gawd
As the title says would it be worth it to upgrade from a i5-750 to a i5-4690k? I use my PC primarily for gaming which mostly includes Battlefield and GTA V these days.

My current specs include
i5-750 @ 3.6-3.8ghz
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Sapphire R9 280

New specs would include
i5-4690k @ 4.0ghz+ $210
MSI Z87-GD65 $30
Sapphire R9 280

So for $240 would it be worth the upgrade considering I'm only running a R9 280?

I did something similar, went from a i7 930 @ 4.0 ghz to a 4770k @ 4.2 ghz with 2400 mhz ram and honestly I got maybe a 15% bump in performance in games. Don't do it thinking your going to get massive fps boost, I would only do it if you wanted the new features of the motherboard.

Assuming that MSI mobo is used, it would need the latest UEFI update in order to use the 4690K. You will need an older supporter CPU in order to that UEFI update.

With that said, if you have a large amount of DDR3 RAM right now (16GB or more) AND if that MSI mobo already has the latest UEFI update, I'd say it's worth it.

But if that MSI mobo doesn't have the latest UEFI update and it's not possible to give said update without you buying or borrowing an additional CPU as well as you only having less than 16GB of RAM, I would hold off for Skylake's release later this year.

I'd also look for something else as it uses the (crap) Killer NIC. You also need to have the latest BIOS installed as mentioned by Dangman.
//Danne

The board was purchased brand new from Fry's (Hell of a deal) but it will still likely need a bios update. Though I should be able to get a CPU to do the bios update relatively easy. I also wont be using the Killer NIC. I'll be using the Intel PCI-E NIC I'm currently using. I'm just not sure if I should splurge on the CPU.

The board was purchased brand new from Fry's (Hell of a deal) but it will still likely need a bios update. Though I should be able to get a CPU to do the bios update relatively easy. I also wont be using the Killer NIC. I'll be using the Intel PCI-E NIC I'm currently using. I'm just not sure if I should splurge on the CPU.
How will you be getting an older LGA 1150 CPU to do the UEFI update?

Let me break down your best CPU choices (assuming that you can do the UEFI update essentially for free without having to pay for a new CPU):
If not overclocking: Core i5 4590
If not overclocking and are on major strict budget: Core i5 4460
If not overclocking and wanting HT for future games (as well as BF4 and GTA V): Core i7 4790.
If overclocking: Core i5 4690K
If overclocking and wanting HT for future games (as well as BF4 and GTA V): Core i7 4790K.

You can overclock non "K"-CPUs by raising the BCLK but not the multiplier.
Also, have a look at similar models as faster models can sometimes be cheaper than the ones mentioned by Dangman.
http://ark.intel.com is a great help in finding the product models.
//Danne

Considering the price of that MSI motherboard, you might as well just get a 4670k if you want to upgrade platforms. Trivial performance difference between it and the 4690k anyway. Or the 4770k. Why bother messing around with the next gen up at all?
Yes, by the way, they are still being sold:
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/#f=34

I went from an i5 750 to an i7 4770k myself, but the thing is that I never tried comparing performance differences between the two on the same GPU (it would require too much work since the other system can't run my 780 SLI on its PSU and MB). I don't think I ever really felt things were that slow on the i5 to begin with. I got out of college and I was like "I have a good job, time to go make that enthusiast PC I've always wanted to make". I don't think you're really going to get a huge boost, but it depends on what you play. If you already have the mobo, though.. why not? I say go for it if you're curious and you have money to blow. Otherwise, stick with the i5 and sell the mobo you just bought on Ebay. If anything, you might get more out of going to an i7 as the biggest deal (psuedo 8 core).

Last edited:
How will you be getting an older LGA 1150 CPU to do the UEFI update?

Let me break down your best CPU choices (assuming that you can do the UEFI update essentially for free without having to pay for a new CPU):
If not overclocking: Core i5 4590
If not overclocking and are on major strict budget: Core i5 4460
If not overclocking and wanting HT for future games (as well as BF4 and GTA V): Core i7 4790.
If overclocking: Core i5 4690K
If overclocking and wanting HT for future games (as well as BF4 and GTA V): Core i7 4790K.

I work at a Computer Refurbishing company so getting an older 1150 CPU shouldn't be to difficult. If I do get the 4690K I will definitely be overclocking using either an old h50 or a hyper 212+.

I work at a Computer Refurbishing company so getting an older 1150 CPU shouldn't be to difficult. If I do get the 4690K I will definitely be overclocking using either an old h50 or a hyper 212+.

Well now time for to decide which Intel CPU to get :)

It really is mind-blowing how well the i5-750 has held up....

I've NEVER had a chip this long.

I'm sitting on my [email protected]+290x until skylake. Only issue I've had so far is that Shadow of Mordor would slow down at times. All the other games that I've played so far run great.

I'll either be grabbing a 4790k or a skylake chip depending on performance and prices.

I say go for it if you don't want to wait.

Back